Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Waterproof rating: how much is enough?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I need a new set of snowboarding trousers.
My previous pair were perfect. Never once got wet, nor did I ever get cold legs and in the spring with the vents open I wasn't too hot.
They were rated as 20K waterproof and 20K breathable.

Now it looks like it is quite hard to even buy a pair rated this good, and the few pairs that are around are extortionately expensive.
So my question is if I buy a pair that are only 10K waterproof am I going to end up with a wet backside if I sit down on a snowbank for five minutes while I wait for my mates to catch up with me?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mine are 8k/10k i think and they're ok for most times - have gotten a wet back bottom from sitting on chairlifts in a really soggy snow day though.

if i were buying again - goretex all the way.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Zero, I have had goretex pants, always paid sub £100, and after 1-2 years you do get a damp back bottom in heavy snow, next time I'm spending more!! I suspect unless you get 20k waterproof again you will be disappointed!

Can you not re-proof your current pair?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've got Scott Goretex pants & they let water through.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I too have Goretex trousers, Burton AK, and only used them for 3-4 weeks over the last two seasons, and they let water through, which is very disappointing.
I'm considering others this year, and wont be rushing to get Goretex again.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
have I stumbled into some BZK skier type clothing thread? Who cares if you get wet, do they look good is what's important.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you sit on a wet lift seat or sit on the snow for long enough, you will get a wet bum in pretty much any fabric. Take a square of bin liner with you, if it becomes a problem.

I have often wondered why boarding jackets don't have a secret waterproof bum flap, that can be deployed for such situations and then velcro'ed back up when you want to ride. Simples.

Jonny luv plums, you beat me too it.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
bar shaker, my ass is hanging out of my trousers so much if I sit down then it's directly onto boxer shorts. Now dat 5h1t is gangsta Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
This is terrible news.

My previous pair of trousers got 6 years use - probably in excess of 100 days - and as I said never once did I get even slightly damp.
I know I would hate getting wet. So if necessary would be prepared to splash the cash, but from what you guys have written, it sounds like this wont help and I am destined to get wet.

Not at all happy.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Zero, the secret is not to sit down and do your bindings up, I do 100+ day seasons and never have a wet ass. I have a cold one for sure but that's a fashion statement. Also learn to stand facing uphill with your heel edge holding you and not on your toe edge, saves sitting around waiting for people/keeps the gloves dry/is more comfortable than balancing on toes.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Zero, it's just a thought, but you never mentioned why you need a new pair. it may help us understand and try to help with alternative suggestions?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The days I've got wet through my Goretex AK trousers have been on warm days where the snow melts every time I sit down or the chair has water on it from snow melting off the previous occupants. I'm wondering how Goretex would fair if tested against a 20k waterproof rated fabric? I wonder if it's been tested, as they don't give the same rating.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Given the Goretex guarantee, has anyone claimed for a soggy back bottom? Mine are not actually goretex, they are Hyvent.

Quote:
If you are not completely satisfied with the waterproofness, windproofness, or breathability of a GORE-TEX® product then we will repair it, replace it, or refund your purchase price.

All GORE-TEX® garments and footwear - and only GORE-TEX® garments and footwear - carry the Guaranteed to Keep You Dry® promise.

What does this mean? It means that no liquid from the outside will get to you on the inside. This includes moisture from the wet grass you’re kneeling in to the sudden squall you get caught in. And that's a promise.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi guys, just trolling through the forums... I can't get my head around how a 20000mm rated waterproof material is still letting water "through it".

I read this in my search:

"All garments sold in the UK that state they are waterproof have had to meet the British Standard of 3 PSI, which is approx 1,500mm of pressure. Falling rain generates about 2 PSI (approx 1,000mm), however an 84kg person can generate about 8 PSI (4,000mm) when sitting and 16 PSI (approx 8,000mm) when kneeling, so your bargain waterproof may not be as waterproof as you think!"

So surely a 20000mm membrane would be more than enough to keep water from entering no matter what the condition??? Puzzled

Just throwing it out there... is the material in optimal condition? have the said leaky trousers been proofed properly? could it be perspiration from inside the trousers? what base layers are you wearing?

For example the articles carries on to say:

"If a fabric does not have a DWR finish, or the DWR is no longer working, water will saturate the outer surface making the garment feel cold with increased condensation. Sometimes this cold feeling makes us think the jacket is leaking, when in fact it is not."

I've been bumming around on my last 2 trips in my 2000mm rated Decathlon trousers and I haven't noticed a leak, yet. I'm going to treat myself this year though... clocked some 3000mm rated Tresspass salopettes in my Costco for £18 NehNeh
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy