Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Another possible Canada Itinerary

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Anyone done this:

Vancouver -> Kelowna -> Nelson -> Revelstoke -> Vancouver

Google maps is showing the first three legs as about 4 hours' drive and the last one about 6 hours. Does that sound realistic? How are the roads? I'm assuming that the main highway between Vancouver and Revelstoke is usually OK bit Nelson looks like it might get interesting esp in February after a full day of skiing...

(actually, I have done most of that route in the past but it was 25 years ago and it was the summer...)
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Vancouver to Kelowna is possible I guess in 4 hours but you need to take the Coquihalla toll road which can get very blizzardy (although almost always open), I think from memory you can stay on Highway 3 to Summerland/penticton then on through Rossland if you don't have a specific reason for hitting Kelowna (like skiing Silver Star or Big White). Red Mt is well worth a stop as well as Whitewtaer/Kootenay pass for obvious car assisted touring opportunities. Not really driven north of Kaslo myself but think is probably a longish drive on relatively minor roads with a critical ferry crossing to get up to Revy. Kootenay Glacier Park near Kaslo is supposed to be money for touring as well,
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Arno,

I have driven these roads quite abit when I lived out there - Summer and winter. The Coquilahalla can get pretty gnarly in a storm, but they do plough regularly - I went up there several times in my Subaru Justy and it was not really fun with huge HGVs on icey roads! I would say the first leg is more like 5 or longer in the winter.

The roads are generally pretty quiet and well ploughed - a 4wd will of course be better, as you will be crossing Rogers Pass, Kootenay Pass and the Coquihalla! Fatbob is right about the ferry - which I have only used in summer, not sure if its running in winter?

Worth doing some catskiing when in Nelson - i used Valahalla Powdercats who seemed to get out on the most aggresive terrain. Kicking Horse (Golden) is also a brilliant mtn - in my top 5 for sure.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Vancouver->Kelowna in four hours might be acheivable in summer with a clear dry road, but not in winter. We've driven that road in February many times in the last 10 years, and reckon it takes at least five: more if there is packed snow on the road. Hint: stop at the tourist info place at Merrick (where you turn off the Coquihalla) for coffee. Note that the toll on the Coquihalla has now been removed.

But the road is closed sometimes: you are then looking at an extra two hours (or more) to go via highway 3 instead.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the feedback so far. Looks like flights might be better given the time available. Isn't Castlegar airport notorious for closing due to bad weather?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
How long is your trip?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
norris, don't laugh... 4 or 5 days. it's part of a 2 week trip when i will mostly be in Vancouver/Whistler

a certain poster on this forum will possibly be in Nelson for the season so it would be fun to go to see him while my missus catches up with her buddies in Vancouver
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Arno, there was a recent thread on TGR where someone commented on how prone to closures Castlegar was, can't find it right now.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
errr - thats quite the itinerary then!! its a good 8 hours to Nelson from Vancouver even if you went the quickest route!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cancelgar is a bit of a mare by all accounts - I've talked to locals at Red who say it really is potluck for getting in and out of when storms are blowing. Greyhound overnight fom Vancouver to Nelson maybe? Take a roadtrip with the unnamed poster to Revy and greyhound back from Revy overnight if the timings work maybe.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy