Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Levi Finland in December - some questions

Poster: A snowHead
Looking at doing a 5 day trip to Levi in mid December. We will be wanting to start on the easiest slopes - does this mean taking the skibus round to the other side of the 'mountain'? I read about a traversing route on the top but the map is not really clear. I did a search but I think previous reporters may well have been happy on the red slopes near the town and we will be wanting blues - especially easy ones to start with.
And we realise daylight is a bit limited - is that almost none at that point?
Any views on accomodation also welcomed! Will be just the two of us and happy to think about self-catering or catered tho Mr LS has a number of dislikes....... Madeye-Smiley
Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:
We will be wanting to start on the easiest slopes - does this mean taking the skibus round to the other side of the 'mountain'?
Yes. We didn't find it much of a problem though. There is a restaurant on that side. It may also be possible (I'm not sure though) to leave skis etc in lockers around there to avoid carrying them on the bus if you prefer.
Quote:
And we realise daylight is a bit limited - is that almost none at that point?
Yes see here then select your travel dates

Have you looked as Yllas? IMHO it's better for beginners in regard to skiing. You will still have to catch a bus each morning but IMO there's a greater choice of slopes for those who are nervous. The resort is much smaller though and the slopes more exposed (less trees)
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There's no real traversing route on top, but you can get around to south slopes (5 or 6 lifts if going clockwise, or 3 going counterclockwise). Most of courses on this route around the fell are easy red. But you can actually avoid most of this if you choose to descent one a bit more difficult but pretty short red course (after taking 2 t-bar lifts from Levi village) and you end up on bottom station of World Cup gondola. On top of gondola, you just descent on blue run to south side t-bar lift.
But if you want to avoid red runs completely, only option is bus from Levi village to south side. It's only about 10min ride, so it's not much of a problem.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Or even have a look at Ruka. No need for ski bus. Accomodation either hotel, appartments or log cabins right by the side of the slopes. Some lovely wide slopes there. Ski hire, lockers etc right by appartments, hotels etc.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
peura, Ah! We are curious to see what this is like but any more comments would be great - never tried this far north before! rosemary, Flights are not so easy for a short break and Kittila seems better served than other airports for the dates/times we can do and the good thing was the short transfer. We may well look at experiencing cross country or snow shoeing. Catching the bus doesn't sound too difficult have lugged skis on buses before- think am more anxious about skiing in the dark tho I know some of the slopes are lit. Would love any more info anyone can offer Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I skied for a few days in Levi, in February 2006. I don't think the runs there, apart maybe from the FIS slalom piste by the gondola, should cause problems for an intermediate skier (primoz's description is good). I enjoyed my days in Levi but, to be honest, I wasn't convinced that it is the best place for real beginners. It can be cold and windy and it will be dark much of the time (although the runs are all floodlit, so skiing is possible). I would think that some alpine village would be more comfortable for beginners (but maybe I'm biased). It would be interesting if anyone who had learned skiing in Levi could comment.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
espri, Thanks. Neither of us is beginners but neither are we yet happy on red runs! We will be celebrating Mr LS's birthday and we don't always ski - he gets to choose the place and is curious about the arctic circle! As a short trip if we don't love it it is not crucial - it is the experience we are after but before I book want to get a feel for it in case we really are making a big mistake Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm pretty sure you will love it. It's far from best resort on World, even though with Yllas they are by far best resorts in Northern Scandinavia, but it's nice one. And kaamos (days with just blue twilight, no sun), together with all that snow and ice is something you just have to experience yourself. It's really beautiful time. I don't consider Levi or Yllas as my favorite ski places, as far as pure skiing goes. But for everything else they are one of my favorite places. Especially in middle of winter it's just unreal... peaceful, nice, dark... perfect place to disconnect from anything and enjoy snow and winter Smile
Tracks are not really hard. Even if they are marked red, they are pretty easy ones, and sometimes I wonder if they mixed colors "a bit". My wife is far from experienced alpine skier (considering she's Finn, she was born with xc skis not alpine skis Laughing ), and she was fine on all but 2 tracks... WC course and that short a bit steeper red one leading toward WC gondola, I mentioned before. Even WC course is not really something special except for 200-300m of quite steep section. Everything else on WC course would be considered as pretty easy one, as long as it's without gates set on top of quite few rolls they made there Smile
Conditions for xc skiing up there are pretty much best one you can get anywhere on World, and just Levi has more then 200km of xc tracks. So if you decide for xc skiing, you couldn't wish for better place. But put some extra clothes... quite few tracks go over frozen lakes, and when temperatures are around -20c or even -30c, it's pretty cold when going over the lakes. Everything else is just fine, and -30c doesn't really feel all that cold with quite low humidity they have.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
primoz, Thats really helpful, thanks. I think we will be going! Am now looking at accomodation - any thoughts would be good but Moonlight apartments are looking good? Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes, I would say that Levi (or Finland generally) is certainly worth a visit for the experience. As well as skiing, there are plenty of other interesting things to do: visit reindeer, skidoo driving, langlauf, tours through the forests, etc. And as Levi is the capital of Santa Claus Land, I assume there will plenty going on in December. Take your warm woollies!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
espri, Very Happy Will be looking for industrial strength thermals Madeye-Smiley Have been to Norway in February but am thinking this is a different league!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
espri, Very Happy Will be looking for industrial strength thermals Madeye-Smiley Have been to Norway in February but am thinking this is a different league!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dont forget to try the snowmobiling safari's. Fantastic fun, hurtling down fells and speeding over frozen lakes. Best thing I have ever done.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Late starter, I've uploaded a bunch of pictures which might give you an impression of Levi as I saw it in February. First one of the village

Then a view of the slopes near the ski store and ski school, not too steep

And then the FIS race piste, looks ok from the bottom ...

... but does seem steeper looking down from the middle

However, the piste does provide all conveniences (is that what you meant when you said WC course, primoz Laughing )

I stayed in the Hotel Levitunturi, a rather large complex.

There was a rather cavernous dining room

but the accommodation was fine

However, you can probably find cosier places, like a typical log cabin

But the main thing about Levi is that the area is very beautiful; here a picture taken near the top of the fell

and another as evening approaches

Though you can ski on in the dark, if you want to

So, I am sure you will enjoy the place and its atmosphere!

ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
espri, Many thanks Very Happy
snow report
Late starter wrote:
any thoughts would be good but Moonlight apartments are looking good? Very Happy

That's exactly where we were last April Smile It's nice place, less then 10min walk from Zero point (north lifts, and also bus stop for south side). There's another bus for south side just about 50m from Moonlight apartments. But Levi is pretty small (at least place where hotels are is quite small, private houses and villas are all around the fell, but that's different story), so where ever you are, you will be close to lifts and to xc tracks.
PS: Espri, Levi is "just" Santa's official ski resort. His home office is kilometer or two north of Rovaniemi (about 200km more south) Laughing
ski holidays
We went to Levi in Jan 2009. My husband and I are fairly good skiers, and went with the attitude that we were going on a nice winter holiday with friends and family, and there would be a little bit of average skiing involved. We were mildly interested in seeing what the super-dry snow was like. My mum came with us and is the kind of perenial beginner who strikes despair into the heart of all ski instructors, thinking she is a good skier but everyone else is out to kill her when in fact she is just plain scary on a set of skis. We had all levels in between us and my mum. We had a fabulous week. My sister booked the chalet for us - we stayed in the K5 with Neilson, but sadly I cannot recommend it. There is plenty of accommodation in the resort though, so you should find something good.

Lapland in the winter itself though - Primoz has given a fabulous description of it. It has a weird light and a magical quality about it which takes it beyond your average skiing holiday. The skiing is mostly easy, although if you get plenty of snow and sing the Mission Impossible or 007 theme tunes you can have some fun off-piste through the trees Laughing . The snowmobiling is an absolute must (my mum would agree, if only because she spotted a naked drunk Finn wandering along the trail Laughing ) The pistes for skiing are almost deserted, and when the snow comes down that leads to a surreal yet peaceful atmosphere. Magical place!

Here are my pics from this year;

ski holidays
It is advisable to carry battery-powered boot warmers to ski in Scandinavia countries, especially during Christmas.
snow conditions
pandora, Lovely photos thank you! Very Happy saikee, I have boot warmers - had them for Norway and will make sure I pack them. Think I'd better get Mr LS some of the instant ones for hire boots Smile
snow report
Late starter wrote:
peura, Ah! We are curious to see what this is like but any more comments would be great - never tried this far north before! rosemary, Flights are not so easy for a short break and Kittila seems better served than other airports for the dates/times we can do and the good thing was the short transfer. We may well look at experiencing cross country or snow shoeing. Catching the bus doesn't sound too difficult have lugged skis on buses before- think am more anxious about skiing in the dark tho I know some of the slopes are lit. Would love any more info anyone can offer Smile
We love it up there. I'm not sure but I think most/many of the slopes are lit. You'll be able to see on the piste maps. Also there will be some xc ski trails that are lit - We didn't do any of that in Levi so I don't know how many. Snowshoeing is urm interesting and fun. Then there is huskies and snowmobiling, all interesting if you want a break from skiing. And also there is, although it may not be open until later in the season, an ice skating route on a nearby lake.
However, as I said earlier we're very much on the nervous beginner stage and although we managed to find suitable slopes on the south of Levi fell, I feel there is/was a wider choice of runs for us at Yllas (north side, Akaslompolo). Whether you're as nervous beginners as us I'll have to let you judge wink. Yllas is about 45/60 minutes from Kittila so not as close as Levi (15 min) but not far and a straightforward drive. Also Akaslompolo is less of a town and more chalets in the woods which appeals to us but not to all snowHead . Levi is hardly big though Laughing .
snow report
Oh meant to say, we'd not had need of boot warmers yet but nose/face warmers are also useful and sold in all the sports shops snowHead
snow conditions
Late starter wrote:
Catching the bus doesn't sound too difficult

I took the bus from Kittila to Levi (with skis) and that worked fine. For me, it stopped right outside the Hotel Levitunturi but I think it pretty well drives round the village.
snow conditions
How does the levi resort works on december with the day time beeing only 374 hours? Is it opened full time?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy