Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing /apres / drinking

Poster: A snowHead
I have a feeling I may be in the minority who is happy to enjoy one or two beers after a day on the slopes and
relax with a bottle of red before a relativly early night ready to catch 1st lift.
The way I see it is I wait 12 months for my next fix of the moutains and care bare the thought of loosing a good days skiing thanks
to a stinking hangover.
Im 35 years old and just cant be bothered with putting up with the day after the night befor when im trying to enjoy my skiing.

With that in mind I was wondering how many snowheads 'burn the candle at both ends' during their ski holiday?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Depends....

Last year - 2 weeks with Ex and it was all about the boarding, we self catered, stayed in the valley, went out for a few meals but nothing wild.

Contrast with 4 days in St Anton- averaging 3hrs sleep per night and god knows how much booze! I was a wreck when I returned but my god it was awesome!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Renry, not me

Back to the apartment, a beer or two while cooking, bathing the kids etc then a few glasses of wine in the evening. Bed by 11 at the very latest.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
would rather have an early night and a good day on the mountain. not too good with hangovers these days, (am also 35). could do it when i was younger but now it knocks me for six, plus there are plenty other nights in the year you can get drunk!

we find in our chalet most guests go a bit mad on the first night (we're not strict about stopping the free wine after dinner!), wear themselves out skiing with a hangover the fist day, and then take it easy the rest of the week.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm 41 now and hangovers can last for days. Definitely go easy on the sauce on skiing holidays.

That said, there's nothing like waking up to a blue sky and sunshine in the mountains to make you forget how rough you're feeling and get out there onto the snow.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Depends on who I am away on holiday with. A SnowHeads bash will see me requiring a liver transplant, but a week or two with hubby and sons will only require rehab.
Being serious, a couple of aperos and wine with dinner is all I usually have, but can vary if we are out with friends or have them over for a meal. I have an occasional hangover on holiday, but never bad enough to spoil the skiing.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Renry, a couple of beers and a bottle of red and you think you're not drinking much???? We must be related. Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It is eerie round these parts after about 10pm... The bars are open and the nightclub is always there till 4am if you need it but I think most of the time it is ski-drink-shower-eat-sleep-ski-drink-shower-eat-sleep.

Having said that, there is a new bar at the bottom of my local lump in radstadt... a permanent umbrella shaped bar. Looks really good and it is about time it was there so... maybethis year there may be... ski-drink-DRINK-drink-shower(if I'm smelly but that might not matter)-cook a sloppy meal for the punters-sleep-make a painful breakfast for the punters without clinking any plates or glasses and certainly leaving the dishwasher till later....
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I don't get pished, but I do drink every night and stay up 'til the wee hours most nights on a ski holiday. It's a holiday after all. Who needs sleep anyway? Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Most times I manage to stay out late but to drink sensibly. I finish the holiday tired but I avoid hangovers eating into my ski time and enjoyment.

(I don't like getting drunk whether on holiday or after work anyway. Mild side of tipsy works best for me).
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I drink a fair amount in the evening on skiing holidays and sometimes wake up a bit worse for wear. However, the cobwebs seem to get blown away very quickly once I've clicked into my skis.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Depends on who the holiday is with, if it's a boys holiday, the hip flasks are getting passed around on the first lift and it continues in this vein until the early hours. If it's with my girlfriend, it'll be a couple of glasses of wine with dinner most nights. Either way, nothing cures a hangover or a fuzzy head like fresh mountain morning with nothing to do all day but ski.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Depends on who the holiday is with, if it's a boys holiday, the hip flasks are getting passed around on the first lift and it continues in this vein until the early hours. If it's with my girlfriend, it'll be a couple of glasses of wine with dinner most nights. Either way, nothing cures a hangover or a fuzzy head like fresh mountain morning with nothing to do all day but ski.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
flangesax wrote:
a permanent umbrella shaped bar.

just curious but what's a permanent umbrella shaped bar? Puzzled
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Renry wrote:
I have a feeling I may be in the minority who is happy to enjoy one or two beers after a day on the slopes and
relax with a bottle of red before a relativly early night ready to catch 1st lift.
The way I see it is I wait 12 months for my next fix of the moutains and care bare the thought of loosing a good days skiing thanks
to a stinking hangover.
Im 35 years old and just cant be bothered with putting up with the day after the night befor when im trying to enjoy my skiing.

+1
snow conditions
If I just have a couple of weeks holiday then I tend to get early nights after a few drinks, apart from maybe a blow out on the last night.

If it's a year I'm getting a lot more time in the Alps then I'm more laid back and stay out later. You also get fitter so it gets easier to burn the candle at both ends.
snow report
fijit wrote:
flangesax wrote:
a permanent umbrella shaped bar.

just curious but what's a permanent umbrella shaped bar? Puzzled

A permanent bar, with a roof shaped like an umbrella?
snow report
I normally get to bed around midnight when away, but am up and showered at 8 every morning. I don't really get hangovers but can still be drunk the next morning. Whatever hangover there is, is always burnt off pretty quickly once the lifts open, you just need to make sure you drink a pint of water when going to bed and masses of fluids from the moment you wake up.

A couple of espressos at 10.30 and you should be ripping it up for the rest of the day, having done an hour + before your mates get up the hill.

The main thing that moderates my drinking on skiing holidays is the cost.

I am 46.
snow report
Depends on the snow conditions and forecast! Poor snow mucho beer!
snow report
am with the broon slug.

Generally speaking I`m not wanting to waste my time in he alps not living there and feel grudged to spend so much money on a trip and waste it all on hangovers and dehydration.
I like to get out for a few cold beers after the skiing till the head comes on and then off for a soak or super warm shower then nice big tea and sleep. Bed early and up early the next day.

If i know its going to be poor snow conditions and super bad visibility and wind/rain then he scales will tip more in the favour of beer and lie-ins.
ski holidays
Depends on the group I'm with, resort, and snow conditions. Generally I like to be up early, refreshed, have breakfast at a leisurely pace and still make first'ish/early lift.

I love riding the early chairlift up when the sun is rising above the mountains lighting up the resort and pistes, when the first skiers are making fresh tracks, seeing the mountain come alive and breathing in the refreshing mountain air. The whole experience during the ride up gets the adrenaline going. Oh and hearing my skis crunch on the fresh corduroy.

However it's a holiday so for one day in the week I like to stay out late and get drunk for a more complete experience.
ski holidays
Depends a little bit on who I am with. Usually a bit more than at home, rarely enough to get drunk/ hungover, though certainly not never. I hate hangovers though.
ski holidays
Always too knackered after a day skiing to do much more than shower, eat, sleep. Mrs Spurs and I both managed to fall asleep at a table in an Austrian bar a few years ago.
snow conditions
A couple of drinks immediately after getting off the mountain, then chill out until food when I might have another drink, and that's usually it as far as alcohol goes.
I'm even more boring in person than I am on the web.
snow conditions
Have a couple of gluhwein for the final run down after lifts close and a couple of beers at the base but nothing too strenuous.

Most people I see tend to get on the drinks earlier on but generally leave the bars very early doors, long before evening meal so they are ready to roll in the morning.
ski holidays
If snow conditions are crap then I don't mind the odd big night and there's something quite restorative about fresh mountain air and some gentle skiing or boarding with a hangover. Best days of the season tend to be those like New Year's day though when you're up first lifts and have the slopes to yourself. Generally a couple of apres beers and some wine with dinner is fine.

I suspect I'll never qualify for the EOSB with this attitude.
latest report
Never in bed before 12, often 2 am-ish. always up early to take my little brother to ski school, which inevitably means i make the first or second cable up the mountain. Ski for an hour or so by myself, stop for a couple of coffees and a couple of litres of water, by which time everyone else has just about made it up the mountain and I'm feeling good to go!
Wouldn't advise staying out until dawn, then popping back for a quick shower and change to head back up for the first lift though, at least not more than once a year!
latest report
i do enjoy a vin chaud or two for apres, but it mostly depends on the group i'm with. i'm a lightweight drinker at the best of times and can't afford/don't want to waste snowboarding money on alcohol. i also like catching first lifts, so don't like hangovers getting in the way of that. good god, Shocked i am that boring!!!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I burn the midnight oil at both ends Very Happy but still do my full day of boarding wink
latest report
Midnight oil is always well and truely burned. The Blacks look so much better in the morning with last nights alch-y-hol still in the system.
Its a holiday isn't it? Not the winter olympics. Very Happy
snow report
rayscoops wrote:
I burn the midnight oil at both ends Very Happy but still do my full day of boarding wink

There's a man after my own liver, us (ahem) senior gentlemen have the stamina . . . if not the prostate . . . to show these whippersnappers a clean pair of beer jugs.

Mind, being teetotal has knocked off near a stone in 3 weeks Shocked
ski holidays
Breakfast, ski, lunch with beer, ski, beer, wine, dinner with wine, cheese and port, wine, wine, wine, bed..repeat daily. No really late nights though and always up bright and breezy. The mountain is a great place for a hangover anyway - unless you are crammed in an airless hot cable car, then it's not so great.
snow conditions
Family trip a couple of beers. "Boys" trip Apres starts with a couple of vin chaud/hot choc laced liberally with Grand Marnier, then to a bar with live music for beer, then dinner (avoiding the free wine) then bar for beer and whatever, bed for 1ish up and out for first lifts. This usually works fine till Friday night which usually ends up Very messy. PsychoBabble age 48 3/4. Skullie
snow conditions
The golden rule.

Apres Ski (of course Very Happy quit at 7-8pm go home, do not eat, go to bed sleep it off with 10hrs sleep & be ready for 1st lift.
snow conditions
fijit, alex_heney....

So you get the umbrella bars in Austria.... basically a very big umbrella with a bar in the middle and glass or wooden sides that can be removed.
In some places this is used as a design. The walls can still all be opened but the bar is much bigger and has a real roof and a little belfry type thang at the top. There is often a big basement too with toilets or extra seating etc...

there... as clear asbrown snow!
latest report
PisteHead wrote:
I love riding the early chairlift up when the sun is rising above the mountains lighting up the resort and pistes, when the first skiers are making fresh tracks, seeing the mountain come alive and breathing in the refreshing mountain air. The whole experience during the ride up gets the adrenaline going. Oh and hearing my skis crunch on the fresh corduroy.

Now if that dosnt make you want a snowfix nothing will.
I couldnt put any better myself.

Fantastic snowHead
latest report
loads of beer.. midnight cut off.. up for first lift.. if its grim out have another couple of hours in bed
latest report
A large beer and a couple of glasses of vino at lunchtime, a G&T as soon as we're off the slopes, a couple of aperos while dinner's cooking and a couple more glasses of red with the meal. Perhaps a grappa with coffee as a nightcap, and then bed by eleven. Hangovers are beaten with a pint of Ribena before your head hits the pillow, two Nurofen at seven AM and more orange juice at breakfast than you can ever remember buying.
latest report
Usually have a drink at each pit stop while skiing. Apres ski a few drinks in a bar or in someone's room. Quick shower and change. Wine with meal. Unless there's a bit of life then a couple of drinks to wind down to bedtime. If there's a bit of life in the group then a good few drinks then crawl to bed.

I have always suffered from hangovers, however few I have so, I may as well earn the hangover.

The thing that I really like about skiing holidays is that it's the only holiday where you quickly burn off the hangover the next day.

Oh and I'm 54 and three quarters.
latest report
Cymru am Byth, always had you down as a prop! wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy