Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Stöckli skis

Poster: A snowHead
I've skied the Spirit Ed but I was wondering who out there is a stöckli fan and how would you describe the stormrider and rotor series. I'm looking for something all mountain.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
erica2004, Love the old Stormrider but there seems to be quite a few versions now..

The XL at 74mm was a 50-50 ski a few years ago but now you'd go wider. But...they would need to soften that ski as you'd need strong legs and good technique
to get the best out of at 88mm ski with the same shovel, IMV... in the right lenght...

Bomber edge hold and probably the template of the Kastle MM range now..

I skied the Snake BC which was great, and also the normal Snake which was probably their 1st TT type effort... dead easy to ski, less esge than the Stormrider but very user friendly.. I would think the Rotor is a step on/upgrade of this ski...

Stockli makes great skis IMV... so I would expect it to do what it purports to do very well...
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
JT, Ah - thanks. The Spirit Ed was very easy and lively to ski. However, I did try a pair of Kastle skis and didn't like them at all - I can't remember why exactly, but I think it was a ski that I just couldn't ski Puzzled
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've got the DP Pro+ in a 193cm (09 model)... amazing edge hold and firm snow performance for a skis that's 101mm at the waist. Incredible stability at speed in crud / wind bluff etc.. Powder - they are OK... certainly not the best as they are just too stiff to be an out and out powder ski. You need to be on top of them all the time and cannot be described as relaxing ski.

Would I buy again? Maybe not... I think I should have got an XXL Dynastar instead... they rock in the powder and are very versitile as well.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
erica2004,

I don't know the Spirit but I think if a ski is going to hold an edge like Stockli, it will be beefy somewhere in the construction ..which then can make it unforgiving and tiring.

So if you have a beefy wide ski, then you could have a monster to ride... which is fine if it matches up with your skiing and stats.

I would think the Rotor 84mm would be a decent all round ski for all day All Mountain
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I meant to say that the stiffness of the ski will reward on hardpack but cost you in the flex and softer snow..so take all my comments in the context of being an all-mountain ski..which means piste AND deep snow aptitude of varying degree..IMV
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nice pair on flea bay at the moment for just over £100
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Top end Stockli skis are often stiff and demanding. However the old Rotor 76 is a superb allround ski. If i skied more on piste i would have bought them. It Had a reputation for blowing edges, which is unusualfor Stockliwho are known for quality (at a price). I would imagine the new Rotor range will also be superb.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
bobinch, Bit alarming about the edges on the 76's - I've a new pair, bought fron the stockli end-of-season sale earlier in the year, currently awaiting bindings & the new seasons snow.
I've not heard mention of this problem before, can you give me any more info ?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nick, a couple of years ago I almost bought the yellow and blue ones but ended up going for something else (which I regret). So anyway, last year I was chatting with a young Swiss guy who had a pair of the new grey ones and asking him how he was getting on with them. He said they were great but this was his 4th pair as he'd blown the edges on the first 3! He did say that Stockli replaced them each time for free. To blow 3 pairs in last years snow he must have been pretty reckless but he said that Stockli replaced them each time as they were aware of the problem.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
erica2004, i tried the Stockli Stormrider XXL last year (170cm, 122-80-108, 17m Rad.) and would go along with the comments here. They held a great edge and blasted through the crud with the greatest ease. They liked to go fast too. I didn't try them off psite so can't comment there. I really enjoyed them though.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
bobinch, thanks for that, though still rather worrying as it's the grey ( well I like to think of them as silver !) ones that I've got. Could be reassured by stockli replacing them without any problem were it not for them being in switzerland & me being in the jolly uk !
As a middle -aged piste cruiser perhaps they won't suffer quite the same rigours as with a young swiss !!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Nick, I wouldn't worry. I reckon you've got some of the best skis around. Just hope we get another snowy year like last year so there aren't too many rocks around!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
erica2004, I have a set of the blue and yellow Rotors from a couple of years back. I got them instead of Apache Recons, 'cos Mrs Ski has them (Apaches), and I don't want to look the same. They're great ! Really nice (and different) all-mountain ski. And easy to find in the ski rack too Laughing
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
bobinch, here's hoping !!
snow report
Alex A wrote:
I've got the DP Pro+ in a 193cm (09 model)... amazing edge hold and firm snow performance for a skis that's 101mm at the waist. Incredible stability at speed in crud / wind bluff etc.. Powder - they are OK... certainly not the best as they are just too stiff to be an out and out powder ski. You need to be on top of them all the time and cannot be described as relaxing ski.

Would I buy again? Maybe not... I think I should have got an XXL Dynastar instead... they rock in the powder and are very versitile as well.

Err, what???

About the best powder ski money can buy in fact. But you're right you have to be on top of it. All the time. And only ski flat out. That is why they bill it as a full-on powder ski for PROFESSIONALS, which is not just marketing hype when there is a TT and VXL on offer as well. I have seen many people out there on these and the predecessor DP Pro using them for 30% of their potential. If you find them a handful then practice with them on as wide an open slope as you can find - chop is perfect - until you are comfortable with manoeuvring their bulk at 50-60 mph then you will be able to get the benefit of them in the deep as well. If you want to leave pretty s's behind then a legend or similar is probably better. DP Pro + = B Squad.

Mrs is on XXL and loves them on and off piste, her friend skis a VXL and can't live without them even on corduroy
ski holidays
Powderhound wrote:
Alex A wrote:

Err, what???

About the best powder ski money can buy in fact. But you're right you have to be on top of it. All the time. And only ski flat out. That is why they bill it as a full-on powder ski for PROFESSIONALS, which is not just marketing hype when there is a TT and VXL on offer as well. I have seen many people out there on these and the predecessor DP Pro using them for 30% of their potential. If you find them a handful then practice with them on as wide an open slope as you can find - chop is perfect - until you are comfortable with manoeuvring their bulk at 50-60 mph then you will be able to get the benefit of them in the deep as well. If you want to leave pretty s's behind then a legend or similar is probably better. DP Pro + = B Squad.

Mrs is on XXL and loves them on and off piste, her friend skis a VXL and can't live without them even on corduroy

I have to admit that i've only done 14 days or so on them and had about 8 days in fresh snow on them and apart from a couple of good runs down the hotel face @ Brevant and also Galcier Rond i've not had a lot of chance to open them up in the deep as much as i'd like. Blizzard conditions and very wet snow / trees etc... so my opinion seemed to swing up and down as to whether I was in love with them or not.

I think maybe through the summer i've convinced myself (in my head perhaps) they aren't as good in the pow as maybe they are !

Dont want to say the wrong thing but i'm certainly not worried if i'm the right pilot for them. But how many days can you get a totally open face with fresh snow to bomb down? Unless you are in resort year round and don't have a day job that's not reality at this stage of life for me..

I love them to bits in anything skied out and even on piste they are hilarious...
ski holidays
Alex A, let me know if you're out in the Alps for a slide... then we can get the head sorted!

They are hilarious....
latest report
Powderhound, sounds like a plan.. I'll be over for a least a week in Europe this year and hopefully a sneaky weekend or two as well ! You based in Verbier by the looks of it? You probable ski with the big man DP himself there !
snow report
Full time in Hoch Ybrig near Zurich and in Verbier when the gaff's not let...
snow report
Powderhound wrote:
But you're right you have to be on top of it. All the time. And only ski flat out.

Ah, that (among other things) explains a lot Wink Laughing
snow conditions
eng_ch, hey,how are you doing?
snow report
Powderhound, trying to catch my breath a bit! You have mail...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy