Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hey Up - start of the will it/wont it be a good season?

Poster: A snowHead
Oooo - Have just seen the magic words for the first time this year on the weather forecast for Le Grand Bornand - pluie et NEIGE!!! Looking at the temperature I can't help feeling this may be a bit optimistic but I have to admit I got a bit excited - Especially at the prospect of the start of endless webcam watching and speculation about will it/wont it be a great season this year!!! Fun times ahead!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I sincerely hope so as this is the year we have decided to take 5 months sabbatical and do the season. Am looking forward to powder days and snow storms.......
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
loatie wrote:
Oooo - Have just seen the magic words for the first time this year on the weather forecast for Le Grand Bornand - pluie et NEIGE!!!

Unless they've invented snow that falls at +15C I think they mean pluie et pluie, even on the summits.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:
Hey Up - start of the will it/wont it be a good season?

I don't think so.

Quote:
El Niño is expected to strengthen and last through the Northern Hemisphere winter 2009-2010.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
davidof, Yes, I'm sure you're right. It was just seeing the word that got me all excited - very sad I know!!!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
achilles, Stop using your "science" to pee on our parade Laughing

Mouth, I too have taken a sabatical to do my first season this year so there's no way the weather gods would stiff both of us. it's gonna be knee deep pow from December to April, FACT!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I can't find the article now, but I read something along the lines of what achilles has posted saying that the US/Canadian resorts were not expecting a very good snow season. But I haven't found anything about Europe yet.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hard to imagine this being a snow covered resort in 2 months time, but it will be.

http://www.tignes.net/en/ski-a-tignes/webcams-290.html
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
queen bodecia, long range forecasts are notoriously crap. "not expecting a very good season"?? Seriously?? I don't think so.

No one can tell.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The guys on TGR are already skiing some great snow...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Its going to be a great season Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Especially where were headed !! El Nino years apprently give lower than average snowfall in the lower BC resorts of Canada and warmer conditions in the west of BC ( Thats Fernie and Whistler stuffed then ) While giving more snow in Utah, Colorado, Northern California/Nevada regions as well as lesser known resorts Smile Happy skiing folks whereever you are playing this season.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm sure thedutchone, will be along shortly to tell us it will be the worst season ever, the Alps will be like dust-bowls and we may as well stay at home - as he has for the last few years. rolling eyes

Funny that I've managed to have some great skiing every year - even at Xmas 3 years ago when snow was a bit scarce
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Does El Niño have an influence on the climate in Europe? (article from Max Planck Institute for Meteorology)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just ripped this from the Cham English forecast. And the cloud has been thickening since we came off the top of Mt Cherie after our picnic.
Could be all white in the morning. Of course it will be gone by Wednesday, but it will be nice to see it again.

OVERNIGHT
Active cold front crossing over
SKY CONDITIONS (cloud) : mostly cloudy or overcast.
PRECIPITATION : moderate rain - rain-snow limit towards 2200 m, dropping towards 1700 m by dawn.
WIND - aloft : NW strong -> gale force.
TEMPERATURE : +6°C.

TOMORROW - MONDAY OCTOBER 12
Morning cloud - sunny spells spreading in the afternoon - N gale high up
SKY CONDITIONS (cloud - sunshine) : mostly cloudy at first - becoming cloudy with sunny spells spreading out - period of sunshine close to 40%.
PRECIPITATION : showers still possible in the morning - rain-snow limit towards 1400 m.
WIND - aloft : NW -> N gale.
TEMPERATURE : min +6°C - max +10°C.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There will be snow, and mountains and food and friends.

Sounds like a good season to me.
snow report
stoatsbrother, Absolutely. Nail hit firmly on the head. snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
queen bodecia, USA not expecting great season? You seen what its like at A-basin, grand targhee, montezuma basin and other US places? Sure whistlers expecting a warm and dry winter, which shouldn't be that bad by european standards, but elsewhere is looking great. Scandinavia has already had some good snow and central europe still has a couple of months to play catchup. I'm not sweating yet.
ski holidays
rambotion, don't flame me, it was just something I read about this El Nino whatsit. I've never been skiing in the US or Canada, I'm strictly Europe only.
latest report
As regards the "European" outlook, it will have as much to do with the jetstream as any El Nino affect.

I think the jetstream may just stay relatively south, and if it does, you can expect a similar winter (Eur & UK) as last year.

As reagrds NA, who cares. It's always better than Europe............. NehNeh

John.
ski holidays
Jonpim, welcome back to snowHeads. snowHead
ski holidays
It has to be better than the last time I came up to the northern half of this planet. Went to Cortina in Jan 2007 and as the ski hire guy said 'this is, the worst season zat we 'ave ever experienced. It is ze worst since skis were invented.'
Laughing
Being used to Aussie snow conditions I had a blast. Going to Niseko this year for pure powder... SO this must be a great season.
snowHead
ski holidays
It is snowing here on the north side of the Austrian Alps right now and we are due to have snow down to 500m tomorrow and Wednesday. That is a bit of a b*gger for me driving up/down the hill to work as my winter tyres are still languishing in the store room of my local Toyota garage (oops that's another thread or ten! wink ) The forecast just said that we will get enough for a complete cover (geschlossenes Decke) but to be honest there's not been any frost yet so it will just melt away. Frosts coming in in the second half of the week look as if they will give a really good start to the process though (-7°C forecast for my village on Saturday night!)
latest report
A nice snowy village on the webcams this morning, it's Rein in Taufers/ Riva di Tures in the South Tyrol, Italy.

Doesn't it warm the cockles of your heart?

click to enlarge
ski holidays
luigi, Hey - It most certainly does - This is exactly what I was talking about, it may not last but it's the beginning of the 'tingly feeling' season!!! (no rude comments please!). I'm now off to work with a smile on my face - thanks for the photo!
ski holidays
Samerberg Sue wrote:
.....That is a bit of a b*gger for me driving up/down the hill to work as my winter tyres are still languishing in the store room of my local Toyota garage ....

Driving will be impossible for you unless you are wearing a helmet and have you boots in your bag.
snow conditions
Quote:

Driving will be impossible for you unless you are wearing a helmet and have you boots in your bag.

Words to live by!

Snowing in Alpendorf Very Happy . El Nino? Global warming??
latest report
mong, welcome to snowHeads, hope you get that pow!

stoatsbrother wrote:
There will be snow, and mountains and food and friends.

Sounds like a good season to me.

Gets my vote! snowHead
latest report
achilles wrote:
Jonpim, welcome back to snowHeads. snowHead

Indeed, proof if you need it that winter is on its way snowHead
As for long distance weather forecasts, two words,

barbecue summer Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy