Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BANSKO

Poster: A snowHead
We are thinking of trying bansko this year, a couple of years ago we skied at Pamporovo and thought it was OK and more recently (every year) we have a week in Macugnaga Italy. Can anybody recommend a hotel. Were not looking for 5 star, just a base with a decent bar and something to do for our 13 year old son, not far from the slopes.

Cheers
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
michcarl, welcome to SnowHeads snowHead I can't help you with Bansko, as have only been to Borovets in that part of the world, but am very sure someone with opinions will be along soon wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Anniepen wrote:
michcarl, welcome to SnowHeads snowHead I can't help you with Bansko, as have only been to Borovets in that part of the world, but am very sure someone with opinions will be along soon wink

Someone already has

Fee750 wrote:
We've just returned from Bansko and shock horror.......we had a fab holiday! We got a week HB in the 4* Katarino Spa hotel (very nice place with lovely food) ....

Of course, if we kept a single thread for each resort, michcarl would already know that. But this is snowHeads. Toofy Grin
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
michcarl, I have been a few times to Bansko but haven't been for about 3yrs now. I have also been to Pamporovo and can say without doubt that Bansko is WAY better than Pamporovo for skiing, eating out, snow reliability, hotels etc. I have stayed at both the Kempinski which is a 5 star hotel right next to the gondola and offers ski in/out and the Strazhite which is a 4 star hotel about 7min walk to the gondola station. Unfortunately, I can't comment on child facilities as I don't have children but there were always loads of skids around so there must be enough for them to do when not skiing. A lot of people also stay at the Perun which gets some good reviews.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
"skids"?? I meant kids. Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for info, I will take a look at the hotels mentioned.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I went to Bansko last year, stayed at Hotel Bulgaria Half Board. Hotel was clean and food was alright. Small indoor pool as well.

Slight walk to the gondola, but didn't bother me. (10 min)

I thought the ski/boarding was pretty good!

There is a decent bowling center near the hotel I stayed at which was good. We also found a couple of good bars, I cant remember the names but one was across the road from hotel bulgaria!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Use the search facility. Bansko is rubbish and not even good value.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
michcarl, I find most people with low opinions of Bansko have either never been or haven't been for around 20 years. I have done Bansko twice in recent years and enjoyed both times. However there are some things you should be aware of. There is only one way up the mountain so if you are not at the gondola by 8.15am you could still be queuing at 10am or later. If you do make it by 8.15am then you are rewarded with immaculately groomed and empty slopes. (I have pics if you would like to see) For some reason the blues become very very busy after lunch though the reds are still pretty quiet all day. The 50 pence a pint days are long gone but you can still expect to pay less than the UK if you stay away from the British style bars. I have not met a local who was particularly unfriendly when I have been there. The snow quality has been as good as I have experienced in France and actually better last year but that's obviously hit and miss. I would go back again but would stay at the Kempinski (mentioned above). Before anyone says anything no I don't have an apartment there and neither would I recommend buying one Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mollerski wrote:

its not great but rubbish is a bit harsh....
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
loffers wrote:
Mollerski wrote:

its not great but rubbish is a bit harsh....

I've explained the reasons for my less than favourable opinion of Bansko, at length in previous posts. I really don't feel inclined to do so again. Cool
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I went to bansko 3 years ago and am thinking of going again 2010, the lyons hotel is good value H/B. it was 1 euro a bottle of beer when i was there, but that would be diffrent now, the slopes are as good as any other places i have being in ausrtria, went to livigno last year, i would never go back even if i got it for free, so everybody has their own opinions on resorts, i dont have kids so cant tell you much about that, but there is a good buzz in bansko you always meet up with good people for drinks at night,
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you are going to pay for a hotel you might as well spend the same money and buy an apparment (or chalet if it was a decent hotel) instead.
Property there is basically worthless.....and that fact alone should tell you all you need to know about the place.

Oh...try the SEARCH function too!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rungsp wrote:
Property there is basically worthless.....and

now that is not quite true, but property is perhaps worthless in comparison with, say, Verbier, or alternatively perhaps Verbier is priceless in comparison with Bansko wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rayscoops wrote:
rungsp wrote:
Property there is basically worthless.....and

now that is not quite true, but property is perhaps worthless in comparison with, say, Verbier, or alternatively perhaps Verbier is priceless in comparison with Bansko wink

Property values have halved in the last two years. There are a lot of Brits in a lot of trouble out there just to add to the 'jolly' atmosphere. rolling eyes
snow report
michcarl. I take it your main points of reference are Pamporovo and Macugnaga.............

Never been to Pamporovo (never will..........) but by all accounts, lifts, terrain, not being robbed, Bansko knocks it into a cocked hat.

Macugnaga is not really a ski resort as such, just a quiet, honest, immensly charming place that has two small ski areas and an interminably bad lift system. Bansko, as regards lifts and terrain, knocks that into a cocked hat too.

As regards hotels, it's been a while since I've been to Bansko, and they I believe spring up almost daily, but the apart from the Kempinski (5*), the ones I know of are the Lion, Perun, Strazhite (4*) etc are all up by the gondola and generally ok.

If you can avoid the school hols, book late. I know people who've done Bansko flts/tfrs/accom(half board 4*)/pass/equip/tuition, and spending money (not skimping), for less than £500.

Mogs post is pretty spot on. Bansko has its place, just not on snowHeads wink.

John.
snow report
Mollerski, quite, but not basically worthless Very Happy i believe that the prices doubled in the previous 2 years though, so all bets are off Laughing

btw, some company was trying to flog me an apartment about 4 years ago, 2 bed near the lifts for £28K.
snow report
BCjohnny, some lads i know did it for £350 the season before last, no snow when they were there though wink
ski holidays
rayscoops wrote:
BCjohnny, some lads i know did it for £350 the season before last, no snow when they were there though wink

Last time I went, three seasons back (Feb '07) I took a couple of improvers (lads trip). For the requirements we had, it was exactly the right place to go. The snow was good, and well pisted, with passable off piste.

One lad had nothing to compare it to (first time skiing since the army!), the other had been to Fugen twice and said Bansko was better.

We had our own gear, booked neither early nor late, stayed in the Lion (4* H/B), eat/drank on the mountain every day and went out on the lash every single night. With the lift pass I personally spent £473 all in, middling the other two.

No, it would never be my first choice, but I would certainly choose it over La Thuile, Livigno, Montgenevre, even SerChe ("deader than corduroy"), all things considered. Every time.

John.
snow report
BCjohnny, wow - i really fancy Serr Chev Shocked the trip the lads went on was a stag bash and most were learner boarders so it suited them. Horses for courses i suppose
snow report
Thanks for all your comments, we will have to think about it and yes everyones opinion differs. We are just looking for a week away with some nice runs, nice food and a great atmosphere. I have priced it up with a tour operator which turns out £1500 all in for the three of us which I dont think is that bad. So thanks again.
ski holidays
michcarl, I wouldn't take too much notice of Mollerski he allows seems to pop up slating bansko.

I've never been myself, but my brother in-law has an apartment out there, well he did have one....he has just been offered 10K above what he paid for it 2 years ago...so don't believe all you read about the property prices.

He's quite honest about the place, his thoughts pretty much echo that of BCjohnny and Mogs.
snow report
BCjohnny wrote:

If you can avoid the school hols, book late. I know people who've done Bansko flts/tfrs/accom(half board 4*)/pass/equip/tuition, and spending money (not skimping), for less than £500.

John.

I've done a week in St. Anton for that price.. know which one I'd prefer..
snow report
bertie bassett, really - the tuition, pass and ski hire would be nearly that price alone Puzzled
ski holidays
bertie bassett wrote:
BCjohnny wrote:

John.

I've done a week in St. Anton for that price.. know which one I'd prefer..

How!?! Shocked
snow report
Just booked £55 easyjet flights to Sofia for 3 days of Bulgarian skiing in late Jan. Intend to decide where to ski based on snow nearer the time. Must admit, we quite fancy Bansko......

Our basis for going will be to try somewhere completely different as we've *never skied eastern europe. We've skied over 120 resorts worldwide and just love skiing anywhere - and I mean anywhere - from a 200m drag lift in the Pennines to the mega areas of France; from sleepy unheard of backwaters with 6 lifts in the Alps to the Lecht in Scotland. Yes, as long as it's got mountains, snow (cue Bulgaria jokes...) and ski lifts it'll do for us. We'll travel to Bulgaria with an open mind an an acceptance that it's going to be different to what we might be used to in Espace Killy - but isn't that half the fun? Can't wait and will - of course - report back.

*Oops! Tell a lie we skied Zakopane in Poland a couple of years back.
latest report
joydivision wrote:
michcarl, I wouldn't take too much notice of Mollerski he allows seems to pop up slating bansko.

I've never been myself, but my brother in-law has an apartment out there, well he did have one....he has just been offered 10K above what he paid for it 2 years ago...so don't believe all you read about the property prices.

He's quite honest about the place, his thoughts pretty much echo that of BCjohnny and Mogs.

Shocked Shocked Shocked Really that's in stark contrast to a mate of mine who parted with £70k about 2 years ago for a 2 bed. He thought he was getting the deal of a lifetime and couldn't understand why I was not interested. Simple one means of uplift for 40,000 beds it doesn't stack up.

He would gladly take a £20k hit on the place but cant even shift it for that. Not saying dont go there, just dont buy there and as for anyone buying 2 years ago and making a £10k profit that is absolute nonsense.
snow report
Kel,
Quote:

as for anyone buying 2 years ago and making a £10k profit that is absolute nonsense.

You calling me a liar??? Laughing

To be fair, he is a special case. He happened to own an apartment that some rich bloke wanted (the chap in question wanted the whole of the top floor). He was offered another apartment in the same block plus £10k or the full price he paid for his originally, plus £10K........I know option I'd have taken. I think my BOI law paid about the same as your mate, maybe slightly less.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mountainaddict,
If the conditions are good you should try Vitosha. It's not that big but it is very Bulgarian and if you can avoid the weekends/holidays it's very quiet and it's about 30 minutes away from Sofia airport! You might need your Bulgarian dictionary with you though as last time I was there no-one spoke any English!
But if you want any info about any of the ski resorts, just pm me!
snow report
rayscoops wrote:
bertie bassett, really - the tuition, pass and ski hire would be nearly that price alone Puzzled

Not if you don't have lessons and have your own kit.

Went 1st week in Jan, flew ryanair to friedchicken for buttons and when kit was £15 per sector and you didn't have to pay for check-in or going for a wee wee. Trip on bus (airport bus.at) was around 60 euro return. Rented an appartment for c. 1400 Euro for the week ~ 1K between 6 of us = 166 quid. Lift pass - can't recollect for sure but it was '07 prices so lets say £160 quid. Spent around 120 euros between 6 on food / drinks in the appartment. Add another 100 euros for lunch etc on the hill, didn't hit the apres too hard.

Total Costs
Flight = £60
Bus = £40
Accom =£160
Pass = £150
Food/Eats ~ £90

St. Anton for 500 notes...Of course this was in the days when one could get one of those euro thingies for about 70 of our English pence, and that alone would put the cost of this trip nearer £600 if repeated.
latest report
BCjohnny wrote:

One lad had nothing to compare it to (first time skiing since the army!), the other had been to Fugen twice and said Bansko was better.

Now that does surprise me. Even the Fugen area alone has more skiing than Bansko, and if you are there four days or more, who have the whole of the Zillertal to play in.

Kaltenbach is 5 minutes on the (free) train, and has over 100Km of piste lift linked from the top of the gondola.
snow report
joydivision wrote:

I've given Bansko a fair chance in my view. My In-Laws own an apartment, which has halved in value from the original purchase price, there were no real increase in values. I've spent approximately 8 weeks in Bansko in total. The skiing is OK with only 68km's of piste, the off-piste is again OK, but too disconnected. The queues can be horrendous, the pistes can be packed, the locals can be rude, the place is a dirty building site. The atmosphere around the town can be dark and unwelcoming. I don't consider the Bansko good value, it's cheapish for a sub-standard product.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 1-10-09 21:06; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Very Happy I visited bansko the season before last and had a good time. The transfer was pretty long and the gondola ques were pretty horrendous but once you were up there the views were beaut. We stayed in hotel Perun and the room was nice and the staff were lovely in particular the man who helped out at the ski boot room. The food (in the evening) wasnt very nice but the breakfast was nice.. Pancakes made in front of you ! There was quite a lot of runs but we were put in a group of 20 of all different abilitys (with the ski school) so this became a bit of an issue and we ended up doing our own thing. Hope this helps (:
latest report
joydivision wrote:
Kel,
Quote:

as for anyone buying 2 years ago and making a £10k profit that is absolute nonsense.

You calling me a liar??? Laughing

To be fair, he is a special case. He happened to own an apartment that some rich bloke wanted (the chap in question wanted the whole of the top floor). He was offered another apartment in the same block plus £10k or the full price he paid for his originally, plus £10K........I know option I'd have taken. I think my BOI law paid about the same as your mate, maybe slightly less.

Well if that's the case He fell in a barrel of $hit and came up smelling of roses. If he didn't take the cash offer then he is a bloody fool.

Thousands of mainly British punters have had more than their fingers burnt mainly by one company who I wont name (who he bought through) selling the place to mug punters who new next to nothing about ski resorts and were buying purely for investment. I sat him down after He had paid his £3k deposit on an inspection trip. It was He who told me the place is a boom resort they are building 40,000 beds, do the maths mate one gondola for all those people it does not work out. He wishes now that he took my advice and walked away with just losing his 3 grand deposit.

Sad Sad Sad
latest report
jasminee, Welcome to snowHead's.

John.
snow report
I read somewhere that Bansko were in the frame for a winter Olympics (2013 ?), and that the mass infrastructure development would be followed by extension to the lift and piste network over the next few years. Maybe the global finacial crisis has slowed it all down a bit, but I am sure the plans will be realised in the next 10 years. It has been suggested that Bankso is quite a good summer resort too ?

Any property investment is long terms and getting in at the bottom of the market is a good idea Little Angel but any one who bought two years ago in Bankso (or anywhere for that matter)were a bit naive imv, but in any case most property has dropped in price across most of the world over the last two years so providing Bansko in isolation as an example is not really representative of the whole picture; and anyone who has 'panic sold' at a loss recently only two years lafter buying property possibly does not quite understand the property market in general, unless of course they could not afford the repayments in which case it is most unfortunate Sad , or alternatively maybe they should not have been greedy but-to-let band wagon jumper-oners wink Little Angel
latest report
rayscoops wrote:
I read somewhere that Bansko were in the frame for a winter Olympics (2013 ?), and that the mass infrastructure development would be followed by extension to the lift and piste network over the next few years. Maybe the global finacial crisis has slowed it all down a bit, but I am sure the plans will be realised in the next 10 years. It has been suggested that Bankso is quite a good summer resort too ?

Any property investment is long terms and getting in at the bottom of the market is a good idea Little Angel but any one who bought two years ago in Bankso (or anywhere for that matter)were a bit naive imv, but in any case most property has dropped in price across most of the world over the last two years so providing Bansko in isolation as an example is not really representative of the whole picture; and anyone who has 'panic sold' at a loss recently only two years lafter buying property possibly does not quite understand the property market in general, unless of course they could not afford the repayments in which case it is most unfortunate Sad , or alternatively maybe they should not have been greedy but-to-let band wagon jumper-oners wink Little Angel

Ray, the problems in Bansko are very complex, spend a couple of days wading through here http://talkbansko.6.forumer.com/index.php and you might begin to appreciate just how complex. Confused

You're rather simple theory doesn't fit too well in this situation. wink

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 2-10-09 8:42; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
michcarl,I've been to bansko twice. First time about 5 years ago and the second about 4 years ago for my stag week. OK I'd rather be in Chamonix and Bankso's not the sort of place I'd go for a hard core ski holiday but as a low expectation (go expecting little and you'll be surprised how good it is) holiday destination it's great and my stag week was probably the best 1 week holiday of my life.

There are companies like method ski school really pushing things forward and look set to get into back country guiding and courses. Bansko has in my view got an exciting future even if it is a building site now and does have some infrastructure faults.

I've stayed at the hotel Perun. Nice indoor pool for the kids and games rooms. Great heated out door pool and a good bar. Please keep in mind when i stayed there it was new and is now about 6 years old so may have changed.
ski holidays
Mollerski, maybe, but they have basically built a small city over a very short period and with that comes certain difficulties. Any serious property investment should be considered over 5 - 7 years minimum wink
latest report
alex_heney. I've never been to Fugen so can't say. The guy who did past comment was a third week skier, so that may have a reflection on his opinion. Horses for courses, and all that.

bertie basset. Thanks with the St Anton comparison, but price wise, it's not really valid.

The guy I spoke to (on his last night there) had, for his £500, the following:

Flights, transfers, 4* H/B accom, 6 day lift pass, 6 day equipment hire (decent gear, that years Fischers), 6 day ski school (4hrs per day IIRC) and got through about £130 (included in the above £500 total) spending money (again IIRC) going out every night.

That, by any reasonable estimation, is a fair deal. And like he said, sneaking a monkey past the missus wasn't too hard. Dragging a bag of sand through the door would have been impossible. I think that sometimes gets forgotton, on here.

And, the reason I always seem to end up defending Bansko is not because I love the place. Far from it, I see it for what it is. It's just a shame others condemn it for something it isn't.

John

p.s. as regards the property "situation", anyone with a cool head could have predicted that. I think I first went out in '05 and the clamour to view developments seemed more important to a lot of (Brit/Eire) visitors than the slopes themselves. Even then my view was, in the short term, it would only go one way. A fool and his money...........
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy