Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Could drinking save your life in a skiing accident?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
According to a recent study published in the American Surgeon journal, the more alcohol you have in your blood the less likely you are to die if you have an accident. So, does this mean it's a good idea to drink and ski? Well, the study was a retrospective review of 7,985 trauma patients (18 years of age and older), 8 percent of whom tested positive for alcohol in their blood when they presented to a trauma centre. After adjusting for multiple confounding variables that could have biased the results, the researchers found that a positive blood alcohol level was associated with a decreased risk of dying in trauma patients....Mind you, you're probably more likely to have a skiing accident in the first place, if your a little worse for wear!

Abstract: http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/sesc/tas/2009/00000075/00000010/art00019

Yaghoubian A et al. The American Surgeon 2009; 75: 950-3.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I know I'm going to get shouted at for taking this too seriously, but to be clear the article does *not* suggest/imply/recommend that you drink alcohol to help avoid dying in an accident!

There's a world of difference between correlation (which is reported in the study) and causation (which is not). I'd actually guess that being slightly pished will mean you are less likely to injure yourself seriously if you have an accident...but as el Hen suggests, being slightly pished also probably increases the chances of you having an accident. Overall I think skiing down the hill after 5 pints is probably a bad thing, even if it's only from the Mooserwirt... wink

</lecture> snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yeah, I drive better after a couple of beers rolling eyes rolling eyes
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Overall I think skiing down the hill after 5 pints is probably a bad thing, even if it's only from the Mooserwirt...

I agree - I wouldn't leave there until I had necked at least 8 and a handful of Hot Widows too ! Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A (arguably) interesting aside, was looking at my travel insurance policy in relation to another post and noticed the following...

"No section of this policy shall apply in respect of any claim arising directly or indirectly from using alcohol..."

So the Jagerbombs may soften the fall, but guess who'll be paying for the helicopter back to the emergency room when your knee's facing the wrong way... Shocked
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy