Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alpe D'Huez 2010 (tell me more)

Poster: A snowHead
Just booked for Alpe D'Huez for the first week in Feb 2010.

We are staying in a chalet in the Altiport area.

Tell me more.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
SEARCH JONG!!!
Wink

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=35861&highlight=huez
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewpost.php?p=1208944
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1210093#1210093
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Is that going to be the first jonging of the 09-10 season? A new record?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks.

As a 4 year visitor to the forum I am more then aware of the search feature, however I am after some more recent feedback and would like
the thread to continue throughout the winter.

Arno, Thanks for the links tho'
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I slipped up near the Altiport Chalets and got dog crap up the back of my fartbag.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I went to a restaurant in one of the surrounding hamlets where there was dog crap under the table.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There's a little resto down in the Sarenne gorge with enormous furry dogs in kennels outside. One of those would probably leave a sizeable dodo. This fact was lamentably omitted from The Good Skiing and Snowboarding Guide.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ok, no more dog 5hit stories please. wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We had to avoid dog crap when returning to our hotel in the afternoon. 1 fresh poodle poo each day! Seems to be a pattern emerging here.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
There are 21 bends and 14km of climbing up to the village - I know as I cycled up them last month
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It sucks.

Soulless and downmarket.

Rebook to Deux Alpes.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Whitegold, is so predictable whenever ADH is mentioned.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Colin B wrote:
Whitegold, is so predictable whenever ADH is mentioned.

I believe he went there once and trod in a dog poo. Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The old bit down the hill is cute

The rest of the town would be improved by dog poo.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Heres some news of improvements for the 2009/2010 season which a friend sent me earlier this week (I assume lifted from the SATA website)

SKI-LIFTS

Faster capacity and more comfort for the Marmottes I

Modernising the first section of the Marmottes with a new 6 seater chair lift, the S.A.T.A. is

optimizing one of the two main axes of the ski area. After the Marmottes II and Marmottes III,

the loop is complete. Built in 1986 with some parts of the line dating back to 1975, the 1st section

of the Marmottes started showing signs of age. For maximum comfort and faster capacity, a 6

seater Poma Lift with weather protective shields will replace the 6 person gondola car; so the

S.A.T.A. is working on enhancing and modernizing one of the principal axes of the area which

leaves from the ‘front de neige’ going towards the Sarenne. With the new chair lift, everything

is set up to ensure comfort and security. To facilitate children embarking on the lift, a special

inclinable rolling mat can be adjusted in relation to the children’s height and will therefore

prevent any risk of slipping off. The chairs are also equipped with safety bars. In the past, the

arrival of the 1st section was right at the starting point of the 2nd section. Now, the arrival of the

6 seater chairlift will be a short distance further away so a covered escalator has been built for

skiers to gain easy access to the Marmottes II ski lift. (8m €).

And also :

Makeover of the 2nd gondola of the Pic Blanc, using the same plans as the 1st gondola completed

last winter (50, 000 €)

Refurbishment of the Alp Auris lift station located at the bottom of the Sarenne gorges (190,000 €)

Replacement of the cable at the telecentre (150 000 €)

Complete transformation of the electrical unit at Vaujany in order to meet the latest norms in

material. (500 000 € over 2 years).

SKI RUNS

There’s a new ski run called Les Ancolies, a blue run 1,800m over 5 hectares. This run will link

the arrival of the new Marmotte ski lift (2300m) to the arrival of the 1st leg of the DMC (2100m).

Work on the new chairlift and continuation and completion of Belvedere."
snow report
Nick Dawes wrote:
Heres some news of improvements for the 2009/2010 season which a friend sent me earlier this week (I assume lifted from the SATA website)

SKI-LIFTS

Faster capacity and more comfort for the Marmottes I

Modernising the first section of the Marmottes with a new 6 seater chair lift, the S.A.T.A. is

optimizing one of the two main axes of the ski area. After the Marmottes II and Marmottes III,

the loop is complete. Built in 1986 with some parts of the line dating back to 1975, the 1st section

of the Marmottes started showing signs of age. For maximum comfort and faster capacity, a 6

seater Poma Lift with weather protective shields will replace the 6 person gondola car; so the

S.A.T.A. is working on enhancing and modernizing one of the principal axes of the area which

leaves from the ‘front de neige’ going towards the Sarenne. With the new chair lift, everything

is set up to ensure comfort and security. To facilitate children embarking on the lift, a special

inclinable rolling mat can be adjusted in relation to the children’s height and will therefore

prevent any risk of slipping off. The chairs are also equipped with safety bars. In the past, the

arrival of the 1st section was right at the starting point of the 2nd section. Now, the arrival of the

6 seater chairlift will be a short distance further away so a covered escalator has been built for

skiers to gain easy access to the Marmottes II ski lift. (8m €).

And also :

Makeover of the 2nd gondola of the Pic Blanc, using the same plans as the 1st gondola completed

last winter (50, 000 €)

Refurbishment of the Alp Auris lift station located at the bottom of the Sarenne gorges (190,000 €)

Replacement of the cable at the telecentre (150 000 €)

Complete transformation of the electrical unit at Vaujany in order to meet the latest norms in

material. (500 000 € over 2 years).

SKI RUNS

There’s a new ski run called Les Ancolies, a blue run 1,800m over 5 hectares. This run will link

the arrival of the new Marmotte ski lift (2300m) to the arrival of the 1st leg of the DMC (2100m).

Work on the new chairlift and continuation and completion of Belvedere."

LIAR
snow report
Maybe Bad Roo could substantiate his views ... he seems to have an issue with ADH, which imo is a great and varied alternative to the mega resorts such as the 3 Valleys. If Snowheads is to have any merit it should not be a forum for cr*p comments (if you excuse the pun).
snow conditions
DavidYacht, i think the doggy doo comments are a reflection Renry's ridiculously open question
bad_roo is actually very knowledgeable about the area so if there was a more specific question, there might be some more specific answers (I certainly can't be bothered to write everything I know about the area in the hope that some of it might be relevant to to OP). bad_roo is also very interested in doggy doo so if you give him the opportunity to ramble, this is what happens Wink
snow report
Arno wrote:
i think the doggy doo comments are a reflection Renry's ridiculously open question

How can a open question be a ridiclous one.

I am going skiing somewhere new and like the majority of people using these boards any advice / help / info is greatly
appreciated.

Arno your reply is not ! Confused
snow conditions
Renry, it's up to you but i bet you a mars bar that if you asked some specific questions you'll get much more helpful responses than you have had so far
ski holidays
Heres a few more specific questions.

Which is the nearest sport 2000 hire to the Altiport area?

Is there a bar / restaurant on the mountain that we should use or avoid?

Whats the 16km black run like?

Which snow park is worth a visit for those who occasionaly like to hit some small kickers and rails to break the day up?

IS there any mountain scenery that is a must see?

How much should I expect to pay for a beer?

Where should we avoid?

How longs the transfer from Grenoble?

Memorable days or nights

Maybe even a few photos of current or previous years

wink
snow report
1. Les Bergers shopping centre
2. Chantebise is expensive, Plage des Neiges does good food.
3. Red.
4. About 2.50€ to 3€ for a demi
5. L'Igloo
6. About an hour and a half
ski holidays
Renry, i would be pleased to help with some of those questions Little Angel

Sport 2000 - don't know but there is a reasonable chance there will be one in the Bergers complex which is close to the Altiport

Bar/restaurants - avoid self serve canteens. Go for Combe Haute in the Sarenne gorge (nice after you have done the Sarenne); the one just before the chairlift out of Villard Reculas (forget name); La Grange (nr mid station of Vaujany cable cars - great pizza and homemade genepi); Les Airelles in Montfrai; the restaurant by the altiport is a nice place to sit in the sun, watch the planes and helicopters and have a decent (not the best but pretty good) meal. there are other good places which i haven't tried personally

16km black = the Sarenne. some people find this a bit disappointing, mainly because it isn't that difficult as blacks go. i think it's a lovely run - great views, you feel well away from it all. sometimes gets rocky at the bottom and a lot of the 16km is a relatively flat run-out at the bottom. if you want something more challenging, do the Tunnel which is a real black and you can link it with other runs to go all the way down to Enversin which is claimed to be the biggest on piste vertical anywhere and it's all on reds and blacks

not sure about beer - pretty standard prices for France. won't be as expensive as some places; cheaper than others

avoid - the main bowl above ADH - miles more crowded than everywhere else. go to the edges of the ski area for more interesting skiing and fewer people - Montfrais, Auris, Pic Blanc, Villard Reculas

grenoble - in a car on clear roads not much more than an hour. on saturday on changeover day, heaven knows!

memorable days - if you like off piste - get a guide to take you down the Grand Sablat with a helicopter pickup to take you back to ADH

photos? click on the sig vvvv
snow report
Arno, Renry,
Some good sensible comments there. Alpe d'Huez is a great place for mixed ability groups. The only thing I would say about the altiport area is that it is a good hike from the main town / sports centre and you need to watch your last run of the day or else you will be waiting for a crowded bus to take you back up to your chalet from Bergers. We have been skiing in Alpe d'huez for years, and yes I do have vested interest, but I have skied in lots of other resorts as well, they all have good and bad points. Just a word about the lit passes, if you are a family make sure you ask for the family reduction, you will have to show all your passports at the desk. It is a substantial reduction. Also if you get at least, I think, 6 day passes you can ski in Les Deux Alpes for one day which will give you a chance to assess the skiing, architecture and dog **** situation as mentioned above. SATA, who run the lifts in Alpe d'Huez also run a small resort, Alpe du Grand Serre which is only about 20km ? away off the road back to Grenoble. It is a good place to go for a day if a lot of the lifts in Alpe d'Huez are closed due to wind, especially in the week because it is generally a weekend station. I think your visalp pass should cover this, certainly the annual ones do.
Hope all this helps.
snow report
Arno, now that is a most imformative post.

Many thanks. Thats just what im talking about.

Cool

PS some nice photographs.
snow conditions
I am also off to ADH on Jan 9th which is 122 days away or 2928 hours or 175680 minutes..... not like am counting or anything.

All the above information is very good to have.

Cant wait for the first ski holiday of the year to come around.
snow conditions
Renry, you owe me a mars bar Wink
snow conditions
The Auberge in Clavans le bas is good for lunch.

If you book privately with the guides it is cheaper than if you go though the bureau. www.delavignette.com trained in Chamonix and worked in LG. His knowledge of the area is very good.

The Sarenne is a standard issue black/red for half the run and then a flat path for the rest. I would advise against taking the kind of snowboarder that whinges about the mountain being the wrong shape. The restaurant at the bottom sometimes does mustard rabbit, which is not bad. As Arno points out the Tunnel is a proper black run (35 degrees at top - meaning 35 degrees rather than knock 10 off whatever the guidebook says). I've had bad breakable crust on that one before, which was interesting.

I'd pay attention to the weather and the freeze/thaw going on more than you usually would if you are just skiing on piste. ADH faces south/south west, which can make for some more testing conditions.

A photo with a snowboarder in it.

And another.

ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arno wrote:
Renry, you owe me a mars bar Wink

Merci
snow conditions
gorilla wrote:

If you book privately with the guides it is cheaper than if you go though the bureau. www.delavignette.com trained in Chamonix and worked in LG. His knowledge of the area is very good.

I've skied with Quentin Delavignette, he's very good and a nice chap as well.
snow conditions
Defo do the Grand Sablat and defo don't bother with the Sarenne unless you want to waste a descent and have time to kill... as most of it is a path out.
Having said that, it would suit someone who wants an excusion just away from the standard fare and wants to keep the skiing around the red-ish mark.

ADH can be so many things... it will suit someone who likes mileage, and it will offer up little gems if you are a bit adventurous and want to spend more time off than on.....
It probably can go to a completely different level as well... if you go with someione who knows...

I MUST plan a trip back there sometime...
ski holidays
Some eye-candy:

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41485

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50631

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50872

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77441

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80249
latest report
Arno, one of the funniest reports I've ever read in that lot Laughing

AdH is great, I love the fact that although the off piste is accessible the best stuff isn't just dropping off a piste where any numpty might go e.g. that walk up the Pyramide must put a lot of people off. As I guess ending up in Clavans might although we never made it there, the lack of snow meant a walk back to the col du Sarenne but that wasn't too mcuh of a hardship and was probably easier than trying to traverse it on a board as I'd never have been able to afford the heli.

gorilla, slufftastic. One of the best runs in the area that, even with the scree shreding start.
snow report
Swirly, it's a pity Brownmonkey's artist's impression of roo post explosion no longer seems to work
(not sure the pics work at all on some of those reports Sad )
snow conditions
Cheminees du Mascle

bad_roo, respect, Cool

Need to tick one or both of these off at some point
latest report
Arno, yeah there's a couple no longer with pics. I note you did the traverse into L'impo rather than the aformention scree ride Laughing
snow conditions
Swirly, I beatered all the way down l'Impo from the top when I was a much worse skiier than I am now!
snow report
if we're doing AdH pics, here are a few others:
http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112683
ski holidays
Double post, sorry

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 18-09-09 16:32; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
horizon, nice. If you go back and do that little climb again you can carry on along the ridge till itgoes up a bit and there's a funky couloir.

It runs slightly right to left above my head, from your photos it looks like you came down right of the big buttress, there's just so much to do there snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy