Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Courchevel

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone

We just booked flights to Geneva for a long weekend (3 nights/ 3 days of skiing) 7-10 january. We're planning to go to Courchevel. Never been there. Verbier for the past 2 seasons. Do you know of any affordable hotel (Eur100-125 per night) that accepts 3 night bookings? That period should be quiet so it's hopefully possible. Our preference is 1850 but if it's much easier to get weekend accomodation in another village we're happy to do it as long as they have quick links to 1850 (do they all? I know 1300 does)

Many thanks for your help!!!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quiet? Maybe if you're not a Russian.....but then they probably don't stay in cheaper places Toofy Grin (The Orthodox Christmas/New Year is sometime round then)

It will definitely be cheaper outside 1850 - 1550 has a bubble link with 1850. Sorry, I don't know anywhere cheap to stay though so can't help you.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you don`t mind S/C try VRBO for short stay accommodation
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
snowforever, Your dates do cross the Orthodox New Year week, so you'll struggle in C.1850 (or maybe the lower villages too) for those dates.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowforever, I think you'll be very lucky to find any 3 night accomodation in CV. Most will only offer full weeks. You may want to try La Tania, there is a hotel called the Montana they may do so.
Should you find anywhere please post an update.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yeah you might struggle, especially with 1850 and 1650, and probably 1350.

Your best bet would be 1550 I'd wager. Maybe La Tania as a second option.

For s/c, we've stayed in Residence Les brigues in 1550 before. Basic serviced appartments, 10 mins walk from 1550, but the red piste down to 1350 is about 20m from the top corner of the residence, so it can be virtually ski in/out. We booked directly with Odalys-Vacances who own/run it. Their website only takes weekly booking but you could try calling them (they are in France but they have english speaking operators) and they might take a booking for 3 nights. We were there late Jan and it was far from full so you never kow.

We did bump into some guys staying at the Pleisure chalet, Chalet Chapin, above The Bar in 1550. They said it worked pretty well for them and they rated it and said it was good value. Might be worth contacting them.
http://www.pleisure.co.uk/chaletsapin.html

Good luck
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks guys for all the help! I actually got a positive response from Eldelweiss in 1650 at 118 euros a night. Problem is my pals say the access to 1850 from 1650 is tricky and prefer 1300. It just shows that you have to try and you'll always find something, especially outside of the peak periods
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowforever wrote:
Thanks guys for all the help! I actually got a positive response from Eldelweiss in 1650 at 118 euros a night. Problem is my pals say the access to 1850 from 1650 is tricky and prefer 1300.

I would say exactly the opposite - 1650 is much better, although you have to ski it rather than just going up a bubble, and it has buses every 10 mins instead of half-hourly if the snow is at all dodgy or you don't fancy the ski. The Edelweiss is also v central, much closer to the lifts than you're likely to find in Le Praz.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snowforever, 1650 is right at one end of the 3V but as eng_ch, says the links or good and the skiing is terrific with Chapelet and Rochers/Bel Air being some of the best reds in the 3v. One pain was The Roc Mugnier slow 2 man chair that helped folks get back to 1650 from 1850, this will be replaced by the start of the season by a new high speed 6 pack chair.

The skiing in 1650 is quieter than 1850 but great fun. Probably my favourite place in the 3v. Tell your mates that they know nowt.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowforever, I'd concur with Frosty the Snowman about 1650, an excellent place to ski in the 3v.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
1650 not a bad place to be... good skiing in its own right as Frosty mentions above, + you can be at the top of 1850 with just 3 lifts, so no big hassles getting over to Mottaret etc..
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Another vote for Courchevel 1650. The week we stayed there, in a time of generally poor/thin snow cover, it had the best conditions in the 3 Valleys - far better than Val Thorens, for example, which was stony. It was also quieter on the slopes.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowforever, Re acccess to 1850 from either 1650 or 1300.
From 1650 - Ariondaz Gondola, ski down to and take the Gravelle chair will put you above the altiport, then its straight run into 1850.
If you are in 1300 either the Praz gondola that will drop you at the lower end of 1850, then its short walk through town or take the Plantrey chair to Loze above 1850 and ski down. Or the Foret gondola and you have a run that will take you to 1850 or continue by Cretes chair up to Chenus.
IMHO, there's really nothing between them in either time or difficulty, in trying to get to 1850.
1650 would get my vote (if I had one) wink
You might want tell your friends of my experience in Jan 2 years ago. I went through Le Praz @1300 on the way to 1850 and the fields were green, patchy snow on the pistes. 1650 and 1850 were fine! 350m can make a real difference!

As FTS said...
Quote:

The skiing in 1650 is quieter than 1850 but great fun. Probably my favourite place in the 3v. Tell your mates that they know nowt.

Good luck in convincing them. Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Are there any green/blue runs that have an easy access from and to the Hotel Edelweiss 1650?

Does the location of the hotel suitable for the beginner skiers with a small child?

Thank you.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Another vote for 1650 or, if you're willing to look a bit further, try the Hotel des Sources in Brides-les-Bains. A very French, family-run two-star hotel for only 56 euro per night - demi-pension with fantastic food and service. It's at only 600m so you get a good night's sleep BUT you have to make the last bubble down from Meribel (17:45 IIRC). Recommended!

http://www.hotel-des-sources.com/welcome.htm

Not absolutely sure where the Edelweis is but IIRC it's just at the bottom of the slope where the green runs run into 1650. There's a short free lift nearby (Mickey ?) with a nursery slope for beginners. There's plenty of easy slopes above 1650 BUT 0 or 1 week skiers will have a harrowing time skiing over to 1850. It can be done but there is a nasty track to negotiate which spits you out on the bottom of an icy red (Roc Mugnier ?).
ski holidays
Nudging a bit over that budget but has anyone ever stayed at Courcheneige http://www.courcheneige.com/? You know, that place that has advertised in the easyJet inflight magazine since the start of time!

Always quite liked the look of it for a slopeside weekend break.
latest report
z, http://www.courchevel.com/img/plans/plan_pistescourchevel.pdf

The nearest lift to the Hotel is the Arondiaz Bubble. A great lift for the nervous and some lovely green and blues back down to the village. Kids will love Indiens http://www.s3v.com/winter/Courchevel/The-Indiens-Piste-804.html

A great place.
snow report
ctskifam wrote:
Nudging a bit over that budget but has anyone ever stayed at Courcheneige http://www.courcheneige.com/? You know, that place that has advertised in the easyJet inflight magazine since the start of time!

Stayed there 2 or 3 years ago. V comfortable, much better hotel than its official rating would suggest, ski in-ski out convenience second to none for all levels of skier, food good. Only downside is the trek into (or rather back from) town if you want to go in of an evening. And the price. Which is v good for the quality by 1850 standards but a bit eye-watering when you settle up at the end nonetheless, especially if you've been in the bar
ski holidays
eng_ch wrote:
Stayed there 2 or 3 years ago. V comfortable, much better hotel than its official rating would suggest, ski in-ski out convenience second to none for all levels of skier, food good. Only downside is the trek into (or rather back from) town if you want to go in of an evening. And the price. Which is v good for the quality by 1850 standards but a bit eye-watering when you settle up at the end nonetheless, especially if you've been in the bar

I've also stayed there and really liked it. Very comfortable, food was good and rather too plentiful, and it truly is ski-in/out. Drawback is it's not a sensible distance to walk into the centre of the resort although one of the resort shuttle bus routes serves that part of C1850.
latest report
snowforever, Courchevel is a fantastic place to ski. It is my favorite place place to be on skiis bar none. You will be in a fantastic beautiful place with all of the three vallies to explore. We have always stayed in 1850 but there is lots of good quality accomodation in 1650.
You will love it and never want to go back to Verbier. Very Happy
snow conditions
snowforever, I've skied from 1650 (before it became popular with the Russians) - but thought Mottaret a better place to be based for enjoying the 3V skiing. As a bonus, it may be less crowded and cheaper, too.. Still, depends on what you want, I guess.
snow report
Coq de bruyere, Courcheval 1850
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy