Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort for 3 families late snow from April 10 limited budgets

Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone suggest a resort that is good for week of April10th snow that would suit 3 families of mixed ability (adults good - some children beginners). We prefer to have 3 apartments in residences and if possible, not in vast blocks. We have already skied together in Samoens and Les Contamines but think these will be too low for that time of year. I normally book direct with the residence and have been looking at Les Chalets des Cimes in La Toussuire which look smallish but good value. However, I am slightly put off by feedback about La Toussuire in some of the forums here. We would normally drive but could look into somewhere reachable by train or cheap flight. Our budget is around £500-£600 for an apartment for a week with all the rest on top. Any ideas greatfully received!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kv, La Rosiere is always open until the last week of the season usually the last week of April but some of the lower runs below village level 1850 metres are shut by the date you want, also runs down into La Thuile (Italy) can get problematic but there are more snow cannons on the lower runs now. Go to www.larosiere.net for more information , the Tourist Office ahs a central booking facility and there are lots of apartments available, the resort is very popular with French families and is IMO good value. You can get to Bourg St Maurice 23 kms away by train directly from London or via Paris with a sleeper service.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kv, welcome to snowheads

I recommend you check out these guys: I have no affiliation and have never used them but they have some pretty good prices for the week you;re aiming to go.

http://www.snowtrex.co.uk/

I've skiied later in April in both Les Arcs and Tignes, Les Arcs is opposite La Rosiere in the Tarentaise while TIgnes is higher up the valley - Obviously, Tignes was in better shape, but Les Arcs had plenty to keep us going for a week. As long as you are prepared for the fact that it may bea little slushy in the lower reaches, though, I think you should have quite a few options
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Head to the French mega resorts and stay in one of the satellite villages with good lift links to the main regions
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We've chosen Aime la Plagne for the same week next year - hopefully plenty of snow still about at that altitude (Les Hauts Bois apartments - maybe a bit too vast a block for you though?).

I remember skiing last week of April/1st week of May in Les Deux Alpes many season's ago - plenty of snow up top, but the town was dry as a bone. We did try and ski back to the apartment one day, but the walk in snow boots across the fields of nearly a mile put us off trying that again rolling eyes
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thank you all for your great replies. As a newcomer to the site I am very impressed with how much help there is out there! I stall start the research and feed back for anyone else in similar situation. If anyone wants to know about accommodation the beautiful Samoens or in Les Contamines, just ask! Cool wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kv, welcome to snowHead

re La Rosiere, if the runs to La Thuile were questionable at that time I would not go. La Rosiere would be great for the beginner children but imo the adults would want to stretch their legs on the Italian side.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kv,

A personal preference would be wait and see where the snow is and then book. you are after the peak point in the season and there will always be property available often discounted late season.

Personally La Ros would not be high on my list as it is predominantly south facing if you have a hot April the beginners who can't get over to La Thuile will be skiing ice or slush for much of the day.

Nendaz is family friendly and has a good kids set up and some great appartments. I have had a good time there in April.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I go to Les Deux Alpes every Easter. Not had any problems with the snow yet.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Colin B, Hi Colin We have flights to Grenoble 10 April and will probably choose LDA. Can you confirm still good snowusually then for lots of different intermediate skiing?
Was planning an getting on with booking appt -usually with holiday rentals but wonderedif you have succeessfully waited till the last minute?
Also which bit of town is best to base ourselves in to be close to the best late season lifts??
THanks so much for your help
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
T Bar wrote:
A personal preference would be wait and see where the snow is and then book. you are after the peak point in the season and there will always be property available often discounted late season.

Given that bookings are generally down I think these might be very wise words this season.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pishposhpesh, It's been fine the last 3 years. Obviously it gets a bit slushy lower down in the afternoon but higher up the snow is still good. Fair mixture of runs, greens to blacks although beginner slopes are low and may not ge great. As I go at Easter I always book the same apartment well in advance but there are lots there. I'd aim to be near the main lifts in the centre, the Belle Etoile chair or the Diable gondola.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Colin B wrote:
...although beginner slopes are low and may not be great.

There's some nice easy stuff up on the glacier as well though.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Grenoble = L2A,

Cretins at 2100m is the first lift stop and is great for learners or those working on technique, the glacier at 3,000+ meters has nice blues and greens, and there are some nice blues etc in between too Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Val Thorens.
latest report
Whitegold wrote:
Val Thorens.
budget trip may be tricky
ski holidays
kv, we went that week last season to La Tania and had good snow over Courchevel for the week, some fresh towards the end of the week which was nice! Ok it was heavy skiing down to La Tania in the afternoon but you can download by the bubble. It's not apartments, catered chalets, but I would recommend this company www.skipower.co.uk for very good prices for that week which is the last week of the season for La Tania. We were 4 families and it worked out brilliantly with the kids, we are going back next year. snowHead
snow conditions
sarah wrote:
kv, we went that week last season to La Tania and had good snow over Courchevel for the week, some fresh towards the end of the week which was nice! Ok it was heavy skiing down to La Tania in the afternoon but you can download by the bubble. It's not apartments, catered chalets, but I would recommend this company www.skipower.co.uk for very good prices for that week which is the last week of the season for La Tania. We were 4 families and it worked out brilliantly with the kids, we are going back next year. snowHead

Different strokes for different folks - I skied Courchevel on Apr 1st last season and it was a slush fest on the main runs even from 09:30 in the morning...
ski holidays
bertie bassett, we skied 11th -18th, we had very decent (fresh towards end of week snowHead ) snow over the 1650 side in particular, and it was fine over 1850. Folyeres down into La Tania was not fun IMV and so I didn't bother much. But it's all a compromise, this was school holidays we were 4 families with 9 kids between us, the weather was great, the price we paid was amazing and the place was not too busy, so for all that I can put up with a bit of a slush especially as it was our third week that season Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy