Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anybody know anything/been to The Canyons (near Park City), Utah?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hiya,

I'm off to a conference (and skiing!) at The Canyons in Feb 2010 and as...
a) I've never skied in the States before
b) I'm going it alone
...I'd appreciate any hints and tips from people who've been before.

I've got accomm sorted but any advice on transfers, whether it's worth going out to Park City or further to Alta or Snowbird, what the local transportation is like, that sort of thing.

Many thanks in advance!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
PM Wear the Fox Hat and he'll give you the insider's guide regarding the Canyons.

Some of your questions can not be answered without further clarification such as what level of skiers are you, how much free time you got for sking (since you're on business), etc.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
medicspy, I believe theres a free shuttle bus between The Canyons, Park City and Deer Valley Confused . there not much distance between them so should be easy to get to. Alta & Snowbird are quite a distance away - probably an hour at least I would think.

What are you doing for transport ? Is it laid on or do you have to get a vehicle ?

When in Feb are you going ?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
abc and Bones; thank you. Will PM Fox Hat Smile

I'm going 20th-27th Feb. I'm intermediate (pretty confident on red runs in Europe) and looking to push on...

It's actually a kind of snow medicine conference, so eveything is related to snowsports - avalanche safety, rescue, snowmobiling, snow shelters etc.
I'll have 2 and a half days just for skiing. Was maybe thinking of having one of those days in Park City...

I'm not going to have a car so will have to rely on the buses... Sad
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mmmm... if you're in a snow related conference, I'd hazard to guess most participants are skiers of some degrees?

In the distant past when I was in acedemia, I've attended conferences in various places that I had no idea about. Since I was usually too busy preparing for the conference itself, I'd rarely have the luxury of time to plan for activities during the conference. Yet, I was never short of activities appropriate to the venue...

1) Typically, the conference organizers will have programs catering to the participants AND THEIR SPOUSE. That's almost always had transportation provided.

2) And invariably, there're other participants who have been there before so they could provide much more accurate information about the surrounding area. And if you're lucky to run into someone friendly, you might even be able to hook up with a knowledgable "guide" with a car to ski with! Smile Then, all is sorted!

So, if it were me, I'd just go there and decide while there.

Now, if you're asking whether you should consider taking a mini-trip post conference, I'd say take as much time off as you can manage. There're so many ski areas there it can easily entertain you for the entire season!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
medicspy,

The Canyons, PCMR and Deer Valley are all local to Park City and are, as Bones indicates, served by a free and frequent shuttle. The Canyons has the largest area, but the least good snow of the three. Deer valley is worth going to just to see what a high-end ski resort in the US looks like. It has good grooming, but also probably some of the best terrain of the three hills, which is often fairly deserted, since most people who ski there stay on the groomers. The larger area around SLC is well worth exploring, so if you get the chance to add on a few days before/after your conference (something I always try to do when I have to visit North America professionally), then grab the opportunity: there are buses that go out to the Cottonwood Canyon resorts.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Acacia, Thats some good info regarding the three resorts especially Deer Valley, will bear it in mind since we are heading there this year. Smile
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
medicspy, Bones

I would echo everything that Acacia said. Spent 9 ski days in Utah last Jan spread between Park City, Canyons, Deer Valley, Alta and Snowbird. Fantastic snow conditions everywhere - but alas all packed powder with not a fresh track in sight. Still had a fantastic trip though.

In my view, Park City is under-rated - we had a great time on near deserted runs. Great groomers and some good steep off piste.
The Canyons has some seriously steep terrain and some great bumps - plenty of cruising too.
Deer Valley is great. The poshness of it has to be seen to be believed - a gondola with leather seats & virtually gold plated WC fittings in the base lodge. Excellent skiing too - blasting cruising runs and some excellent steep bowls.
Alta/Snowbird - limited cruising but some really steep Shocked inbounds terrain.

On the apres ski front, the Olympic bobsleigh near the Canyons is just incredible - up to 4Gs and 80mph Skullie. A tamer but still excellent, alternative is the Alpine Coaster, which is piste-side in Park City. Great fun!!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thank you! All useful stuff!

abc, I'm sure I will meet people out there, but I guess I'm just apprehensive as a girl travelling alone!

Acacia, Sadly I can't extend my holiday (no leave) but if I take one day out for exploring Park City - do you think it's worth travelling Alta/Snowbird just for a day? Or maybe just Deer Valley?

My other thought was just to get some lessons (sort of intro to off piste) for the remaining days...

Otherwise, I can't wait!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
medicspy wrote:
abc, I'm sure I will meet people out there, but I guess I'm just apprehensive as a girl travelling alone!

Acacia, Sadly I can't extend my holiday (no leave) but if I take one day out for exploring Park City - do you think it's worth travelling Alta/Snowbird just for a day? Or maybe just Deer Valley?

My other thought was just to get some lessons (sort of intro to off piste) for the remaining days...

As a girlie, it's even easier to meet up with other conference goers! Smile That's from personal experience. Wink Whatever professional conference you're going to, you're likely to be the minority gender (unless you're going for teachers conference). Sexist or not, your male colleaques will be more than happy to help out! Very Happy I dont' think you'll be skiing alone.

Getting a lesson on intro to off piste would be an excellent idea.

If you only have a few days to ski, Deer Valley makes more sense than a long excursion all the way over to Alta/Snowbird. The latter would make more sense if you can extend your holiday.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lol abc, I'll look forward to meeting lots of American males then! Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy