Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Got the boots - now need socks for huge calves!

Poster: A snowHead
Okay so I got my boots but still not rockin' the socks yet.

all the over the calf ones are just too tight and I can't get them up high enough. I've only got crappy tube socks at the moment - but doing a season and really need something that fits!

czk or other boot-fitters....any brands with extra stretch for us fatty-calves?

thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
queen_sheba, depends how stretchy you need them...the teko range are pretty good in the calf department, and if not them then i am sure falke make a sock in their ski range with a sensitive (non elasticated) top ..they do for walking

BTW it holds up with small silicon beads whcih grip the skin...just in case you wondered Little Angel
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
well my calves are about 47cm around at the widest part. most socks just don't do it. but i need them primarily for the support within the boot - so I suppose I could cut a few small bits at the top and maybe stitch some elasticated fabric to give them more stretch,
mega nightmare I've never really dealt with till now..

thanks CEM
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have pretty ordinary size calves but I found some socks I bought from CEM, though lovely socks, are only JUST big enough.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
queen_sheba, the thorlo SL (as much as i hate it as a sock) should stretch out round that no problem.... we used to use them as a fitting sock and they strech like nothing else..i am a uk 11 and could wear the 5-7.5... they stretch round the top as well as in length)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
okay great - do you sell them or do i need to internet it?. just as a matter of interest - what do you hate about them?

thanks!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:
I have pretty ordinary size calves but I found some socks I bought from CEM, though lovely socks, are only JUST big enough.

I found the same, but I do have big calves. Nice socks CEM but not quite big enough for big girls Laughing I agree about the Thorlos, I have those too and they stretch well, I think Falke are better.

However I have had the most success with the Smartwool socks in one size bigger than I would have normally got, they are not too big in the foot as I thought they might be, they are really long and so come up over my fat calf and fit nicely just under the knee. Very stretchy top and slightly 'cushioned' in all the right places.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
queen_sheba, i don't sell them...what i hate about it is the amount it stretches Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
teehee. sounds promising then. so the padding around the ankle etc is still as good as the other brands?

sarah
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
queen_sheba, yeh it is fine, they are a man made fibre so i don't find them as warm as the smartwool or teko but i skied in them for many years
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mine are well under 14" Little Angel
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w, I wonder how many female snowHeads went straight for the inch tape. I did too! Laughing Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm 16" but I am a bloke and you know what we are like Toofy Grin K2 Merino thin socks do it for me, good fit and long Cool
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hurtle, I haven't dared to yet Embarassed
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I did too!

and?
latest report
pam w, 14" - too fat for my height. Sad
ski holidays
Hurtle, do you do ankle raises at the gym? 'F'so, 14" is -nothing-.
ski holidays
comprex, not much. I put it down to cycling a lot in my youth..............and general porkiness. Embarassed Interestingly, though, I've noticed nary a twinge after Rob'n'Scott's all-day tuition sessions, whereas other more sylph-like people have been complaining. So I guess that chunky legs are useful for skiing, if not for aesthetic pleasure. rolling eyes
snow conditions
Quote:

14" - too fat for my height.

who says? how high are you?
snow report
pam w, that's enough information (ed.) wink
ski holidays
I've got 15" calves and have no probelm at all with socks - I just can't remember the type I've got - they are smarwool with a cloverleaf pattern around the top.
latest report
19" Calf muscles so more or less the same size, can't remember whose socks they are but they are propper technical ski socks (one left one right) Red, Grey and Black the different colurs being different thicknesses of material, very comfortable even arround my calf muscles, but they were expensive
ski holidays
All the socks I've ever had have been fine - never thought of it at all till that last pair, which do seem a bit tight.

Any advance on 19"?
latest report
I get my ski socks from here on the internet they are very good socks Very Happy
snow conditions
I have big calves (around 40cm) and wear semi-compression socks as they have a tendency to swell while skiing (up to 45cm). Bought mine from Mountain Warehouse. They are actually a technical walking/climbing sock but seem to do the trick fine for me and cope very well with sweaty feet too.
snow report
A meagre 18" I'm afraid. Can't beat the Orf.
latest report
21.5" Cool

Only 18" at boot top though. Sad
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
All the socks I've ever had have been fine - never thought of it at all till that last pair, which do seem a bit tight.

Any advance on 19"?

mm, next time you are around we need to look at those, may have been from the run before they changed a few things
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy