Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Day Ski trips from Annecy

Poster: A snowHead
Looking to stay in Annecy for 1+ month, say January / February 2023 and would like to ski many resorts. What are the resorts I could ski in a day trip by car? Can I get to Chamonix and back in a day? Any smart ski pass ideas for skiing multiple resorts?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Vegemite skiier, la clusaz is very close to Annecy, several other ski resorts accessible via the A40 such as st gervais/morzine/megeve etc, with chamonix at the end of the A40 about 1 1/2hr each way (depending on traffic and road conditions)

there is a multi resort pass "mont blanc unlimited" i think?, that has several ski resorts linked to them, and when i looked into it a couple of seasons ago (pre-covid) am sure the season pass was a real bargain especially if you get an early bird deal.

am sure other SH will be along soon to give you a more up to date review

latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Grand Massif is just over an hour away from Annecy. They also do a super-cheap season pass offer in September, which includes free guest days at other resorts like La Clusaz, Megeve, and also 1/2 price at big/posh resorts like Chamonix.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
La plagne (champagny) is a 90 minute drive from Annecy as is Courchevel.
It's worth looking at the ski a la Carte lift pass which gives a reduced daily rate for ski resorts in that region.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skichampcouk wrote:
La plagne (champagny) is a 90 minute drive from Annecy as is Courchevel.
It's worth looking at the ski a la Carte lift pass which gives a reduced daily rate for ski resorts in that region.

You could save 15 minutes on the drive and still ski the 3 Valleys by parking at St Martin De Belleville (instead of Courchevel) wink.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The question has also been asked on your other thread, why not stay in a ski resort?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Vegemite skiier, just answered your other post about Dolomites which has the advantage of a regional lift pass (Dolomiti Superski) covering multiple resorts over a large area.

France has some large ski areas that would keep you busy for a week or two, but doesn't have any really big regional lift pass unions covering dozens of smaller ski areas. Austria is the place for that with its Salzburg Superski Card and Snow Card Tirol and various others listed here: https://www.tyrol.com/things-to-do/sports/skiing/ski-pass

With regard to Annecy, it's a beautiful place and the lake is stunning particularly the mid-section around Duingt, but it's at its best in warmer months when the vegetation is greener and flowers are blooming. Also, it maybe not the best placed town to access a huge amount of ski resorts, with only La Clusaz the only major ski area within 30 mins. A 60-90 min commute each way to other places every day would soon get tiresome, I think. Traffic past Annecy and the lake on transfer days is very busy, it's the main route from Geneva airport to the resorts to the south.

Bourg St Maurice is a small valley town within striking distance of huge amounts of skiing at Les Arcs/La Plagne, La Rosiere, Ste Foy & Tignes/Val d'Isere, but you would bump into the lift pass costs of buying daily/week passes for each area.

You mention Chamonix and there is a multi resort pass called Mont Blanc Unlimited covering all the ski areas in Chamonix Valley, plus St Gervais, Megeve, Les Contamines, Courmayeur in Italy and discounted days in Verbier in Switzerland. The early bird season pass is around €1200 if bought before end Nov. Not sure if that would be quite worth it for a month's use and it would be best to base yourself a lot closer to Chamonix if you wanted to take full advantage.

Other big areas on one pass are the 3 Vallees, Portes du Soleil, Paradiski (which is a union of Les Arcs and La Plagne) & Val d'Isere/Tignes, Espace Diamant, Grand Massif, etc.

Biggest issue in France is the lift pass cost issue if you want to ski 'many resorts', there's not really any way round buying short-term passes at day rates. A season pass can often be cost effective once you plan to ski for more than a couple of weeks in one ski area, but then you confine yourself to that area.

The US based Ikon season pass covers a few alpine destinations inc Chamonix & Dolomiti Superski, but I think it's only 7 days in each which probably wouldn't help you. The Epic pass is similar.

This is a great resource for looking at and comparing ski areas in France and other alpine countries in Europe: https://www.bergfex.com/frankreich/
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Depends where you are staying around Annecy , apart from La Clusaz , this is the other close area plenty of entry points

https://en.areches-beaufort.com/
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
This is the other local area 55 mins

https://www.espacediamant.com/en/espace-diamant-ski-area-2.html
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Why not just base yourself in Chamonix?

It might cost a bit extra, but you'd save a ton of money in fuel, tolls and parking. And if you ever get bored of the skiing there you can make day trips to Italy (Courmayeur) or Switzerland (Verbier, Les Diableretes), or more local places like Megeve, St Gervais etc.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I agree with @luigi, if you want to choose a town as a centre for day skiing trips Annecy isn't particularly well situated. Apart from La Clusaz almost everywhere is a bit of a trek but doable with an early start (say 1-2 hours drive). But it is probably a more attractive town than most alternatives.

For skiing specifically, you would be better basing yourself either on the A40 giving easy access in under an hour to multiple resorts (e.g. Chamonix, St Gervais/Megeve/Combloux, Grand Massif, Portes du Soleil, Grand Bernand, La Clusaz, Espace Diamant). Or somewhere like Moutiers with access to the Tarentaise resorts and 3 Valleys.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Vegemite skiier,
Consider Moutiers or Bourg St Maurice, or even staying in one of the big Tarentaise resorts.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@luigi, The Chamonix MBU annual pass is €750 ish each as a couple ...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Annecy is an attractive town but as noted above, can be very "bottom of the valley" and grey in winter. The Espace Diamant is also within reach. Praz sur Arly.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
under a new name wrote:
@luigi, The Chamonix MBU annual pass is €750 ish each as a couple ...

That seems like quite a big discount over buying an individual pass...but I suppose that would depend if the other half is paying their share or not!! wink Laughing

Is that a residents rate? It would make it a more viable option if you qualify for it.
snow report
@luigi, allegedly you have to have bought an annual pass previously but I'm not sure that is enforceable.
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
@luigi, allegedly you have to have bought an annual pass previously but I'm not sure that is enforceable.

Hmmm, might not work for the OP then if they did check for a previous purchase.
latest report
@luigi, it is a bit controversial. I have heard that folks have wiggled past it.
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@luigi, it is a bit controversial. I have heard that folks have wiggled past it.

Gallic shrug and 'le database must be incorrecte, I purchased un forfait en 1985!' snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
@Vegemite skiier, Are you staying in Annecy for a reason other than skiing and looking for day trips or are asking if it’s a good place to base yourself for lots of ski safari ? Because each produces a different answer.
latest report
Rob Mackley wrote:
@Vegemite skiier, Are you staying in Annecy for a reason other than skiing and looking for day trips or are asking if it’s a good place to base yourself for lots of ski safari ? Because each produces a different answer.

Indeed. If the latter then there are better places, some previously mentioned. We've stayed a couple of times, for a day or four at a time, in various places along the A40 valley, giving access to many more resorts.

Staying at or near Cluses is easy access for les Gets (thence Morzine, PdS), Praz de Lys (charming little resort about 10km closer), Morrilon/Samoens, then just slightly further, but still only half an hour or so, for Flaine/Crosets, St Gervais, la Clusaz and a little further for Chamonix proper, Megeve, Praz sur Arly, les Contamines etc. etc.

Or choose Sallanches to be closer Chamonix. Neither of them are spectacular places like Annecy, but both are pleasant small towns with plenty of life and commerce. And of course le Vieux Camper near Sallanches is arguably the best Alpine sports shop in the Alps.
latest report
Rob Mackley wrote:

Good point, free accommodation staying with friends would be a big reason to be based there, but if paying good money for rent, there are definitely better places for a ski safari (whether that's in France or Austria that has bigger lift pass unions) and do a daytrip to see Annecy on a non-ski day.
latest report
Many locals from Annecy go to La Sambuy https://www.lasambuy.com/ or Semnoz https://www.semnoz.fr/ leaving the big expensive resorts for the tourists.
snow report
WindOfChange wrote:
Many locals from Annecy go to La Sambuy https://www.lasambuy.com/ or Semnoz https://www.semnoz.fr/ leaving the big expensive resorts for the tourists.

Indeed so many go there that the road can be blocked with cars, a good day's skiing ruined. People drive as far as their bald tired peugeots and renaults can climb, realize they are not going to make it then block the road U turning or crashing into ascending cars as they drive down

snow report
davidof wrote:

Indeed so many go there that the road can be blocked with cars, a good day's skiing ruined. People drive as far as their bald tired peugeots and renaults can climb, realize they are not going to make it then block the road U turning or crashing into ascending cars as they drive down

Well hopefully that will be a thing of the past now they've brought in the new rule about winter tyres being required between November and March. Noticed the signs going up on the Pas de Morgins a few months ago, not surprised, but also on some roads around our house in Alsace, which are largely flat and at only 400m or so. I think it's a good thing, as I know that those roads can be dangerous when they get snow on them, but I'm still surprised.

I don't know if there's an official list of affected roads, or if it's just a case of obeying the signs; how are UK folk driving to the mountains going to deal with it, I wonder?
snow report
In France, its not done road by road, its by prefectoral decree, so its either a whole department or a list of communes within a department where they believe this is neccessary. This link presents it as well as I've seen :

https://www.caradisiac.com/pneus-hiver-obligatoires-la-liste-des-departements-et-communes-concernes-191554.htm#:~:text=01%20%2D%20Ain%2C%2003%20%2D%20Allier,%2D%20Loz%C3%A8re%2C%2057%20%2D%20Moselle%2C
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy