Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Carte Neige

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
There as a topic some days ago in which it was recomended that one should purchase the carte neige insurance as part of the ski pass, in addition to having ones own ski insurance.

Is this really a requirement, surely my own ski insurance would cover the cost of being taken off the mountain and to a hospital.

I meant to ask this earlier and was reminded while sorting out our tickets, passports etc for our trip to La Rosiere tomorrow.

Thanks

CP snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
CP, from my understanding of the discussion, yes it would, but it may not be understood by the emergency services and you may have to pay them in cash, and recover your costs from your insurer. Carre neige would be understood by them and you wouldn't have to pay beforehand.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hmm i remeber this thread... how do you purchase it just ask when u get the passes?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes when you purchase your pass you should be asked if you would like the insurance, we were asked this in December at the pass pffice in Bourg St Maurice.

Just realised I have put this post in the wrong section - sorry Admin and Moderators Embarassed

CP
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
CP, you'll be asked by the Ski Olympic staff on the transfer bus what sort of pass you'll want. You should also get the hands free option, costs another 4 euros but well worth it saves all that faffing around getting passes out of pockets, putting them in the card reader etc. I'm sure you'll hav great time, tipping down with snow today and the forecast says it'll continue until Tuesday. You should have a great time.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi,

After first hand experience of what Carte (or Carre whichever it is) Neige I would thoroughly recommend you purchase it with your lift pass. My insurance also covered me for getting off the piste, however being as though I was in a lot of pain I was in no mood to have to try to translate my insurance policy into French, nor was I in any fit state to do so. Even though I was on a busy slope, about a third of the way from the bottom, I got very cold, very quickly to a point where my friend was quite worried about the shaking I was doing as well as the knee injury sustained.

If you are in a position (God forbid) whereby you are injured and have to be brought off the piste by the piste patrol then for the sledge 'removal' it would have cost me 250 euros. I was trying to look for the advice paper I picked up regarding the Carte Neige as I'm sure it mentioned something to the effect of 25,000 Euro cost for helicopter removal from the piste, unfortunately it seems to have disappeared for the time being but when i find it I will scan it for people to read. I was quite shocked at the costs involved at removing people from the piste but costs need to be paid. I for one don't fancy being taken via a cash point to the hospital or medical centre! (Asides from the fact the cash point would tell me where to go if I had to cough up 25,000 euros!).

Carte Niege got me off the slopes and I then chose to pay cash for my medical treatment (it's a lot quicker) and recoup the costs from my insurance company (Mondial Assistance) at a later date.

I guess what I am trying to say that for the sake of 2.5 Euros per day a lot of hassle is saved for either yourself or your companions. Whilst the skiing side of my holiday was finished I was still able to enjoy the rest of the week and not have to stres about having to pay for huge expenses.

If I ever ski again I will go out of my way to get Carte or Carre Neige.

There's a thread http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=5450 gives you chapter and verse about what happened to me.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 12-02-05 12:09; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The per/day insurance they offer at french lift stations is called Carré Neige, the annual one is called Carte neige. THey both give u similar cover but I think they are with two different companies.
If u ski for over 2 weeks in a season it's probably worth getting the annual: Usually available from the tourist office or ski school office. They always make a big deal about it being worldwide so it "cover u if u are ski in Chile in summer".

There are one or 2 little extras, like cover for up to 8 days ski hire if u break your own, but this isn't the main point of the cover. It's mainly about getting u off the mountain, to the emergency services. So there's no longer the big concern that's been discussed here so often, about whether your UK insurance covers u for 6 inches off piste or 600metres with/without guide etc.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If carte Neige is world wide can it be bought in the UK or Canada
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
At the time of my accident in Val Thorens Jan 05, it was quite clear that all parties involved in my recovery and treatment understood that I was fully insured/+E111 However cash is just soooo much better for them, cuts down on the paperwork/time to payment/improves cashflow, generally it's good for the business model. Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
admin, We used to buy the annual Carte Neige when I worked in France, it used to cost about 100FF or £10 back in the late 80's and early 90's. It was a great deal at the time as it covered mountain rescue etc for all sports all year round. I don't remeber the Carre Neige being offered with lift passes back then - is it new?

All packed and ready to rock...............

CP snowHead
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
David@traxvax, Thanks for the snow report, I will ensure the goggles are packed. Sounds like it could be a bit slow until Tuesday which suits me fine as I have the industrial strength knee brace to try on the knackered knee.

CP
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Can you use the Carte/ Carre Neige as an alternative to UK ski insurance. What does the UK policy cover that won't be covered by a Carte Neige? As I'm off to Chile in September sounds like the Carte might just be the ideal solution!

CP, I know how you feel, I took out my ACL 3 years ago. If it's any consolation now as good as new and skiing just fine! snowHead
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Almost all UK policies are based upon holiday type travel insurance so cover u for delays in transit, lost luggage, theft etc. Carte Neige is just about mountain rescue and initial, emergency medical cover. It wont replace stolen skis or pay for a hotel if your flight's cancelled.

There are some very comprehensive UK policies but they cost a little more. The problem with the majority of UK policies is that they compete solely on price and to be sold as cheaply as possible, cut corners wherever they can. So, that's all very well when u are stuck waiting in an airport for 23 1/2 hours because your insurance wont kick in until you've been delayed 24 but, u don't really want to find that your 'winter sports bolt on' only covers u for rescue within 1m38 of the piste and u just busted your leg 2m outside the poles.

Carte neige doesn't cover main medical expenses, although it does provide repatriation if necessary.
This has been talked about quite a lot before on snowHeads Try this
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi All,

Im off to Andorra soon. Im guessing with it being such a small place, that their not too welcoming of foreigners using up their health services.
In light of this, I would like to get this Carre Neige in addition to my UK travel cover. Does anyone know if this can be bought in Andorra?? Also, our lift passes are being arranged by our tour operator, can I ask them to sort this as well or will if have to trek to the lift pass office when I get there?

Cheers.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy