Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are easyjet strictly enforcing hand luggage sizes?

Poster: A snowHead
Well they were on a recent Liverpool to Geneva flight.

Every bag (no exceptions) was being tried in the gauge at the gate. Result? Lots of disgruntled passengers being charged £16 for a return bag - and a delayed flight to boot. The pilot actually announced that the delay was due to "Enforcing the hand luggage size policy."

We saw the checks coming & ended up wearing walking cagoules with phone chargers, CDs, books etc stuffed in the pockets - otherwise our rucksacks might have been a cm or two over....

Is this the norm? Or are times just very hard for easyjet - with slashing of routes announced this week?

We also had bike bags opened at check in: To make sure that there is nothing else in other than a bike" - presumably to charge us even more on top of the £37 carriage fee if they could? As our checked in bag was bang on the 20 kilos it was fortunate that our biking clobber etc was out of sight in the bottom of the bag wink.

Is the idea of every airline these days to completely pee off the passengers?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not seen it before. Fully approve, though. It could reduce the menace of overfull overhead lockers. And if done regularly, passengers will get the message, and get their luggage size right - and so no delays from the policy.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mountainaddict,
Lookin for every angle to reduce costs/increase margin ; these guys work on low margins & their figures this quarter were'nt too good . Probably see more of this type of thing in the future ( & any other ways they can think of to improve/increase revenue).
Mitch

PS; although I sort of agree with achilles; major pain when people stuff out the overhead lockers with oversized bags
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
mountainaddict, They didn't bother on my recent return trip from Glasgow to Stanstead, but the flights were domestic and not very full. Shouldn't security enforce the hand luggage size - although bags could be stuffed with purchases after security.

The locos are the airlines who would prefer people to take hand luggage to decrease turnaround times, so it seems a bit daft to cause a delay to the flight because of this.

snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

passengers will get the message, and get their luggage size right

Easyjet's max dimensions for hand luggage are (I think) 55cm x 40cm x 20cm. We have bags that are spot on with those measurements - except for the wheels, which protrude by 2cm (making the 20cm 22cm). We have used the bags (containing skiboots and skiwear - thus avoiding any checked in bags other than skis) on umpteen Easyjet flights and when you get the bags on the plane they absolutely sail into the overhead lockers.

Given that many other airlines, such as BA, permit bags of 55 x 40 x 25cm I cannot for the life of me understand why Easyjet insist on knocking off 5cm on one of the permitted measurements - particularly when the dimension in question is (when fitted into the locker) the height of the bag.

However, Jet2 are even worse and their miniscule permitted dimensions meant that we were collared last season for £20 odd per bag when we were forced to check them in at Leeds. However, when we got on the plane we were disappointed to find that the overhead lockers were standard size and the bags would have fitted in with room to spare...
If the plan is to discourage checked in luggage and facilitate fast turnaround times for incoming/outgoing flights I'm puzzled as to why the dimensions aren't standardised across airlines Puzzled

Any thoughts?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Sage wrote:
mountainaddict, They didn't bother on my recent return trip from Glasgow to Stanstead, but the flights were domestic and not very full. Shouldn't security enforce the hand luggage size - although bags could be stuffed with purchases after security.

Given that the hand luggag size lmit is not standard, that would mean Security would have to check which airline you were flying with before measuring your bag.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
alex_heney, I didn't realise Easy had a smaller bag size than the normal limit for security, but I get your point, BA allow 2 pieces of hand luggage for example.

snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sage wrote:
alex_heney, I didn't realise Easy had a smaller bag size than the normal limit for security........

there is no 'normal' limit. Each airline does its own thing - which on a multi-airline trip could be a pain.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Not seen it before. Fully approve, though

I agree when people are completely taking the wee wee with hand luggage size. But the thing was when they were "strictly enforcing the policy" the overzealous enforcer was making people pay the £16 to put the bag in the hold if it had to be slightly pushed into the measuring bin. She was coming out with her own made up ruling of "It has to drop in, you're not allowed to force it" - which is bo!!ocks if you read the slogan on the bin "If it goes in it goes on."

In some cases a bag fitted in but was then jammed in and had to be virtually prized out - saybecause of a protruding wheel or carrying handle. These bags couldn't have been more than a 0.25 cm over the dimensions. Our bags were actually spot on in terms of the dimensions - we always measure them - but we were concerned that they wouldn't drop in to the bin without slight pushing (it only takes something like a bulging phone charger in a soft rucksack for that to happen) - which is why we ended up with our pockets stuffed.

The very helpful member of staff - while getting very very stroppy - was also making stuff up about "We're changing the size of the bins anyway because these are too big."

Anyway, on the return run from Geneva there was no checking so all was well. Since then we've kept an eye on other people's hand luggage. I reckon 75% are over sized. The depth of around 20cm (depending on airline) is the one which is the killer. Holdalls are twice as deep for example.

I agree with Bergmeister about the non standardisation - they all use more or less the same planes so hand luggage dimensions should be standardised.

Quote:

bags could be stuffed with purchases after security

The thing was easyjet were measuring at the gate - so duty frees etc were making the bags too big.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
quote from direct.gov

The Department for Transport has set the maximum size for an item of hand baggage as 56cm x 45cm x 25cm, including wheels, handles and external pockets.

But they add
However, some airlines may only allow smaller bags, so check with them first.
So (as most of the aircraft have basically the same luggage space in the cabin) it's more to do with earning extra income than a safety feature
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I remember taking flights in asia a long time ago and it was the norm to have a hand luggage inspection (person asking you to stick your bag in the metal frame to see if it fits) before entering the passport control gate and if the bag did not fit you were asked return to the desk and check it in, which was free in those days so it was not a money making ploy.

I have also seen an overhead locker in pop open and a hard plastic (pilot type) case falling out and missing a passengers head by inches Shocked

I agree with the policy and it annoys me when I can not take my seat because some muppet is trying to squeeze a bag in to the overhead locker that is too big to fit. The bag at times seem to have big plastic boots in them Little Angel
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Time for someone to start manufacturing ruck sacks/bags roughly 56cm x 45cm x 25cm in size Very Happy

edit - what about a 'snowheads' snowHead hand luggage sized bag with logo ? much more useful than a T-shirt wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rayscoops wrote:
Time for someone to start manufacturing ruck sacks/bags roughly 56cm x 45cm x 25cm in size Very Happy

edit - what about a 'snowheads' snowHead hand luggage sized bag with logo ? much more useful than a T-shirt wink

I think many already do, but what about a ski boot bag to fit those dimensions wink

snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sage - how wide are ski boots ? Would they fit ?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I, too, am looking for a max size rucksack or holdall. No wheels needed.
My boots fit within 500 x 400 x 150 - probably about the size of the box they came in.
snow conditions
I've got size 11 feet and my boots easily fit in a "69" position in a full sized wheely carry on bag with a bit of space for other stuff as well.

Also as it doesnt look like a boot bag there is less chance of being told "no ski boots allowed in the cabin"!
snow conditions
Quote:

what about a ski boot bag to fit those dimensions

After the easyjet trauma referred to in my original post we have found/bought just the thing - a bootbag which doubles as a rucksack and which fits well within the hand luggage sizes. Already had a dry run of packing a weekend's worth of kit - bit of a squeeze due to the bag size but it all fits and will drop effortlessly into the easyjet bin. The boots go in in a 69 position and even with ski trousers lying on top the packed bag is just under 20 cm deep.

Bought the bags in Tignes for 24 euros each. The brand is the strangely named 'Wedze' but has a "made by Decathlon" label inside - which means it's probably half the cost of what we paid if you go to Decathlon.....

Quote:

Time for someone to start manufacturing ruck sacks/bags roughly 56cm x 45cm x 25cm in size

That's what easyjet are hoping - as that's too big for their hand luggage size:That'll be another sixteen pounds please!! Toofy Grin
At least easyjet allow unlimited hand luggage weight. We took boots in hand luggage when we flew with SAS last year (...the Swedish airline not the hard army lads Toofy Grin) and the max weight was 8kg.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy