Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

daughter wants to defect to the other side!!!!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi to all, my 11 year old daughter has decided she is going to switch from skiing to snowboarding this year. I promised her last year that ehen she can do edge slides on her wakeboard she can switch to snow boarding from skiing. Never thought she would take me up on it but she is now very proficient wakeboarder sp is insisting. Am I doing the right thing? I have read a lot of posts on injuries and I am really concerned she may hurt herself. Some input form others would maybe put my mind at rest.

The other thing is, we are going to a different resort this year, Ishgl - is there a good ski school for snowboarding there? Also, any recommendations for hotels would be greatly appreciated

thanks

Carol
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
She should have wrist guards and a helmet. Other than that there's no particular reason why she should hurt herself on a board any more than on skis.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lizzard wrote:
She should have wrist guards and a helmet. Other than that there's no particular reason why she should hurt herself on a board any more than on skis.

Padded shorts too.

John.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
carolwags, I agree with the others - if she had some good lessons they'll try to help her fall right (ie not onto outstretched arms). She's at a great age to learn. And you promised. wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
carolwags, Get her a copy of Go Snowboarding by Neil McNabb (Book + DVD). As recommended by pam w.

If she can wakeboard, a 'quick' look at the DVD plus a days lesson then I reckon there will be no stopping her.

I started snowboarding in my early 50's and with the protection the others have mentioned have not felt more prone to injury than skiers.

I think that boarding is safer from twisting knee injuries - IMHO
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
carolwags, There is only one ski school in Ischgl but they have plenty of snowboarding instructors. Ischgl is renowned as one of the premier snowboarding resorts in Austria so she should be in her element.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just explain that 'gay trays' are so last year. Freestyle 'pricks with sticks' are sooo much cooler. wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
carolwags, i think tou mean '' ... defect to the darkside'', defecting to the 'other side' has perhaps a somewhat different meaning.

Helmet, crash pants and I suppose wrist guards because she is quite young. I am sure she will be a natural Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
cad99uk, I broke my knee from twisting it on a board (freak accident imo), I think you get a lot less of it with boarding but when you do get it it's a biggy. I think there are more other types of injuries because as soon as people learn to semi board they start freestyle/jumping around like a goon, you dont get that with skiing so much because (a) its crap and (b) did I mention its crap?
If she can wakeboard then she can ride powder, on piste she will need more weight forward.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wow - great replies guys!!!! cad99uk, very impressed that you started wakeboarding - I am almost 50 and those soft boots are getting me in too, maybe I will give it a go!!!!

Mollerski - can you explain what a gay tray and pricks with sticks mean Puzzled I must keep up with the lingo (I maybe alsmost 50 but my kids think I'm cool!!)

We live in Abu Dhabi and Ski Dubai offers snowboarding lessons there. Should I wait until we get to the 'real' snow or give her a couple of lessons there?

I will try to track down the book and dvd too. My daughter already has a good helmet so with the wrist guards are they the same ones she uses for rollerblading or more specific for snowboarding? Bum padding - I assume I can get that when we arriive - it is dificult to get ski (ooops sorry - boarding)gear here so we usually spend a day shopping when we arrive in Austria

Thanks again guys for all your replies!

Carol
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes, lessons on the indoor slope would be a great help.

Padded pants can be bought online - try wwwmbargainboards.co.uk or even ebay - try googleing it

Good luck
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Both my daughters started snowboarding at 4, they're 7 and 9 now, and do 40 or 50 days a season. The only two decent injuries they have ever had are a broken wrist, when the older one forgot to put her wrist guards on, and went big in the park (last time she'll make that mistake), and the younger one got run over by a skier, who was looking at the view instead of where she was going, resulting in a some really nasty bruising. They always wear helmets.

They both picked it up really quickly, are annoyingly cocky about the latest tricks they can do, and cost me a fortune in new boards/boots/bindings/gloves/helmets etc etc etc every season. They get Fridays up a mountain instead of school all winter, nice work for the teachers.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
carolwags, I had lessons on a dry slope which were very useful for when I got on real snow. So if your daughter can get into a snowdome so much the better.

Mrs cad99uk, also started snowboarding at the same age as me - so you should really give it a go. Those boots are soooo comfy.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy