Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gear advice (board, jacket, goggles, helmet)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I'm looking to gear up as I'm pretty keen to get in a lot of snowboarding over the next few years.

I've got pants, boots & bindings, gloves and wrist guards.

I'm approx 6'5" (196cm) and 95kg. My UK foot size is 14. I'm currently looking at getting the Elan El Grande (300 pounds) as it's a good wide board from what I understand.

I have no idea when it comes to a jacket, goggles or helmet and would love any and all advice you guys might have.

I've been snowboarding twice (one week each time) and absolutely loved it. I've moved to the UK from Australia and want to be in the snow as much as time and money permits so think that throwing down some cash on a decent boarding setup is the way to go as hire stuff for tall people tends to be rather, er, crap.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Goggles: Ones that fit your face, feel comfortable and fit with your helmet.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sitter wrote:
Goggles: Ones that fit your face, feel comfortable and fit with your helmet.

Goggles: One size fits all, just choose the style and price range you can afford, helmet...what helmet? wink

95kg, whats that in stones?

Jacket again is try some on and choose your price range! Guess I'd say I prefer a shell type jacket (wearing extra layers under) but last season I got a big puffy warm Quiksilver jacket (which is to hot some days) so what ever you like the look of!

Look good=feel good=ride good=look good Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
One size may fit all with goggles, but not necessarily comfortably! I tried on several pairs that squished my nose when I was wearing them making it harder to breathe through my nose and would have been bloody uncomfy had I been wearing them for a full day on the hill!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
95kg is approx 15 stone.

I wanted to get a helmet as they're pretty warm apparently and I have a tendency to fall over a bit as I'm not that experienced, so figured a helmet would keep my head in tact.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The Nitro pantera is about the widest board I ever saw, 29.2 or something crazy like that. At size 14 have you thought about just waxing your feet?

A palmer plate and any wide board would do you, I think at size 14 you'll get rub on all wides except maybe the pantera and some heavy duck stance/forward stance.

Do your boots fit the bindings without much overhang on the gas pedal?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Some Wide boards to check out:

Bataleon Goliath:
http://www.bataleon.com/en/boards_goliath

Salomon Answer:
http://www.salomonsnowboard.com/en-eu/products/mens/boards/answer/

K2 have a shitload of wides in their range - I personally ride a K2 and would thoroughly recommend
http://k2snowboarding.com/boards

Libtech Skunk Ape - wicked boards, a pain to get hold of
http://www.lib-tech.com/snow/snowboards/skunk-apes/

Elan's factory is well known (I think they manufacture for quite a few other brands) but you don't see many of their boards around. That doesn't mean they're not any good though. The El Grande certainly looks pretty decent on their site.

The key to board buying is TRY SOME. Don't just buy a board you have seen on the net or been recommended, when you get it you may just not like it. Go to a snowboard shop and ask if you can demo some down at one of the snowdomes. The TSA stores are a pretty good bet for this as a lot of them are in snowdomes - http://www.snowboard-asylum.com/

-----------
Jackets
All the big names: Burton, Bonfire, Westbeach, FourSquare, Analog etc.... are worth a look. Most decent shops will have a reasonable range to try on. The key with jacket buying is the waterproofness and breathability, both of which are measured in 1000's. The higher the number on both scales, the better. If the shop can't tell you the specs of the jacket, or if it isn't printed on the label then it probably isn't worth getting.

Another recommendation is to go for a shell outer jacket with a detachable / seperate liner - it will give you a lot more options depending on the weather.

-----------
Goggles
There are loads of brands, some worth a look are Oakley, Electric, Dragon, Smith, Scott, Anon, Spy, Von Zipper. All are commonly available.
As others have said, try before you buy as some may fit your face better than others. Fogging up in the shop is not a good sign...
Rule of thumb is that you get what you pay for with goggles.

-----------
Helmets
Brands to try: Protec, Red, Bern, Giro
Again try before you buy and you get what you pay for. I would recommend one with a hard shell, normally classed as "multi-impact", especially if you are going to be hitting the snowpark.

Hope that helps Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy