Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I've been around a bit!

Poster: A snowHead

I've kept most, but not all, of my ski passes since I started skiing way back in '82 which was in Flaine. We drove there, stopping to pick up two friends from Geneva airport (he worked for BA so could afford to fly), and there was a massive snowstorm around Geneva - we had to crawl along behind a snowplough. The journey took us forever, and we had to put chains on to get anywhere near Flaine.

I've been meaning to photograph them for a long time, and the pile keeps growing. Very Happy If nothing else, it's a good record of some very dodgy haircuts (remember shaggy dog perms?). Laughing There's one photo I just had to cover up, it was toooo bad!

Every now and then I get them all out and look at them... some wonderful memories come back to me of fun and adventures and some scary moments. snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
RachelQ, what a great idea, I wish I'd done that. Unfortunately, I'm the opposite of a hoarder, don't know what the word is for that. I don't even have many photos and, for a 17-year period of my life, virtually none at all. Silly me.
Nice thread title btw. Laughing
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hurtle, thanks! Very Happy They're the only thing I hoard (although I might have a pair of long straight skis in the loft still!).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
RachelQ, they would look great in a frame in a kitchen/study but then you might want to look at both sides so that's no good Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nice collection I was just looking at mine and need to put last seasons passes in and get them out of the ski pack. It is a tad scary looking at the aging over 20 odd years though.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pinhead wrote:
It is a tad scary looking at the aging over 20 odd years though.

Try 30 Shocked Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think I have over 200 ski passes Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nice photo (and title Smile )

I know some people who've done as Lou suggests and put their old ski passes in a frame (currently hanging in the loo of their ski appartment!) - it's great looking back at the locations and hair styles in particular. It's a shame the new electronic cards (mostly) don't have photos on anymore...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I started collecting ski passes, then quickly realised that piste maps would be of more interest. Unfortunately that means I have no maps from my first 3 seasons skiing Sad
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
nbt, saddo that I am, I buy a cheap family/kitchen diary every year, cover it with a piste map and then cellophane wrapping Embarassed
You could make a fortune selling something similar in resort (done properly, not my version Very Happy ). There, an idea for snowheads Christmas pressies.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
RachelQ, Love the face shots & hair cuts through the ages as well... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
nbt wrote:
I started collecting ski passes, then quickly realised that piste maps would be of more interest. Unfortunately that means I have no maps from my first 3 seasons skiing Sad

I've still got both my lift pass and at least one map from every trip, I think.

But that is nowhere near as many as some of you Sad
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've been around a bit more NehNeh

I didn't keep all my ski-passes or my earliest skis - but I keep these in my store: my 1958 state-of-the-art wooden skis with painted bases, edges held on with screws, cable bindings and the usual straps off the cables to wrap around the ankles so you don't lose the ski if the binding releases + leather ski-boots with inner and outer laces (I've opened one a bit to try to show the inner laces and put the turned-over ski a bit edge-on)

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Mon 17-08-09 12:45; edited 6 times in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I buy cheap place mats with piste maps on as makes for good discussion after meals discussing the various runs. Normally only get them out the weeks before a trip to get the kids excited.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
My bathroom is wall-papered with about half of Joyce's Finnegan's Wake but I'm about to re-do it with ordnance survey maps of the Scottish west coast (including Nevis and Glencoe ski areas). Mrs snowball likes to hike with me around the area so it is OK with her too.
latest report
Looks great but I really can't be bothered saving stuff like that. I have, on more than one occaision my previous years pass has been in a pocket and confused the card reader at the 1st lift Embarassed
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, tell me about it. I recovered several lift passes from both JUlesB's and the kids ski jackets at New Year.
latest report
I notice mant resorts, especially in Switzerland, use reusable ski passes which are just plastic credit cards, with a memory strip, that can be top up from time to time. Some resorts even refuse to take them back.

I find keeping ski maps more rewarding as they can picture better what I did in each resort.
snow report
snowball, and when were they last skied on? snowHead
snow report
Winterhighland, I can remember when the Glenshee rental kit was like that.
snow conditions
rjs, Oh do tell us more about last years holiday
snow conditions
Winterhighland, I think I did a few days on them in 1969 after several years not skiing. Then didn't ski again till 1983.
snow report
snowball, JohnQ just saw your picture and says he skied in the same kit when he first started on a school trip! Shocked Two pairs of socks and vaseline on his heels and ankles before tying his feet up in the boots, which didn't have anywhere to dry out overnight, so were cold, wet and stiff every morning. Oh joy! Toofy Grin
latest report
RachelQ, Interesting thread - I noted the storage ideas put forward - I don't know if you are looking for suggestions, but how about a cheap cellophane photo album - then you could view both sides - it even used to be possible to get a folding sheet which might open out to hold them all in the little pockets they have.
ski holidays
RachelQ: Lovely photo from the Kohlmaisgipfel (somewhere near the Turneralm?), but do you always take your cuddly toy skiing?
latest report
I keep all my lift passes (and try to keep a piste map too), but because most of my skiing has been in Switzerland where they adopted the electronic passes very early on, most of them don't have photos. Not sure if this is good or bad!!
snow conditions
RachelQ, I was about 10 when my parents bought me those skis. Fond memories. Is JohnQ about my age?
ski holidays
Elizabeth B, trust me, it's good! Toofy Grin

snowball, JQ's a late '56 baby, I think he was 15 or 16 when he first went skiing.

Tatman's Tours - do you mean this pic?

Ha! This is rob@rar's cuddly toy Brian who's just been to New York. I took the liberty of taking him from the heat of the city and putting him somewhere I thought he might feel more at home! Very Happy (see this thread).

Megamum, oops, sorry, I only just saw your post. Thank you for the suggestion - I've never thought about displaying them, they're just tied up in a bundle in a drawer and added to a few times a year!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Tatman's Tours - do you mean this pic?

That's the one - one of the nicest pics of the Glemm valley I've seen - after a recent snowfall too.
ski holidays
Tatman's Tours wrote:
one of the nicest pics of the Glemm valley I've seen - after a recent snowfall too.
I took that during the Christmas week in 95. We had lovely snow and sunshine all week. Lovely place, I'd like to go back soon. Very Happy
snow report
Quote:

I'd like to go back soon.

Let me know if I can be of any help. I'll be there for Christmas & New Year - can't imagine Christmas anywhere else nowadays, in fact, if Carlsberg did Christmas, this is where etc etc....
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy