Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What's Kappl like?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Ahhhhh my wife is driving me mad. One minute family ski trip on, the next it's off. All boiling down to money so have had to search a bit more. Have heard that Kappl is a great family destination and have managed to find a place for the 5 of us for €1400 for the week half board, plus the hotel sells KAISERBIER Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy (Ich bin im Himmel). Hotel is right on the piste and the toboggan run, so everything seems to stack up
Was within an inch of booking Gerlos and have considered other options (Scheffau and Saalbach) but if cost is the contributing factor to my better half's, then Kappl looks like the best option.
My mate was in Ischgl last year with his wife and for him Kappl was the highlight, ie he would return there but not to Ischgl. From what I can see and have read about previously it is one of Austria's best family resorts and whilst not a great deal of skiing on doorstep, the skiing is nice long runs.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
boabski, Great destination for a family trip. Excellent kids area at the top of the main bubble, from where a variety of lifts span out. Not a huge area by any stretch with nothing really challenging, but Ischgl just 10 mins away if you need more and if the family are novices then it's a winner imho. No personal experience of the ski school/ family facilities, other than what I observed when we spent a couple of days there a couple of years ago. No queues whatsoever (mid March) and very quiet slopes - definitely on my Famski hitlist for the future.

Most hotels are 'up in the village' - which is towards the end of a blue run which winds it's way down the mountain underneath the bubble lift, so in the morning you will ski the last bit of the run to get to the bottom of the lift and at the end of the day simply ski back to the village - if you have complete beginners who can't do this then there may be a short bus to/from the lift. Great apres-ski bar next to the bottom lift station at the end of the day.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
masmith, You've convinced me. Just need to convince mrsbaobski now Puzzled
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Kappl offers really nice skiing. And the landscape is amazing. There are several long runs which should please everyone. If you are into backcountry / off-piste there are some interesting options as well. If you want a change (but don't want to go to Ischgl) then go to See for a day. See has recently modernised some lifts and upgraded the ski run down to the valley floor. See is not a large resort but offers some decent (and long) run in a beautiful high alpine environment. Definitely a good option for the whole family and quite close to Kappl (a few minutes with the ski bus).
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kappl is between Ischgl and See but beyond Ischgl there is Galtur too.

The main attraction is of course Ischgl which is much much larger and can be skied to the Swiss side Samaun.

Small resorts like Kappl, See and Galtur are family orientated. See is possibly the easiest for newcomers too.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Very interesting - is there much easy skiing in bad weather in the smaller resorts (not in Ishgl)? How difficult is the run down to Kappl village? How's the ski bus?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Draybs74, From what I can gather from my mate, and looking at piste map, the runs tend to be pretty long (7km ish type runs) with bottom half through trees. Mates wife loved the skiing in Kappl and she's a bit of a pussy despite her experience wink Bus runs every 10 mins apparently.

Thanks for all the info folks have emailed the hotel back requesting the booking Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Straight off my spreadsheet I kept on the resorts I visited

Kappl - Austria - 40 - 9 lifts. 15km easy/20km medium/5km difficult
Galtur - Austria - 40 - 10 lifts 4/24/12 km
See - Austria - 33 - 8 lifts

Kappl is actually quite steep terrian wise as a resort. The last run from the mid station to the base level is tree lined.

See is more gentle and full of kids and beginners. It would be the resort I would take people to learn ski. The snow condition improves when one get deeper into the Valley so Galtur has the best snow. It is reasonably high too and the villege has be struck by avanlache before.

Distance wise See is 4 miles (out of the valley from Kappl). Ischgl is 6 miles from Kappl into the valley. Galtur is further 6 miles from Ischgl.

Don't forget Ischgl has 235km piste and its 4 and 5 stars hotels make this resort the same status as Lech in St Anton.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
boabski,
Just back from my holidays and noticed this.
I have been to Kappl for the last two years and we are returning this year so it must be doing something right. However we are using it as a base largely to ski Ischgl.
As a resort it has good and bad points. In all honesty although it is pleasant enough it is not one of Austrias more charming villages and being in a fairly steep sided valley does not get much sun early in the season.

The skiing itself is sunny though on south facing slopes, in warm years the snow can suffer a little. The facilities for children look superb, some of the best I have seen. The area is not large but not tiny either. Not much of the skiing is particularly steep and although there is some tree lined skiing most of it is the return runs to base which get a bit scraped. Not the most up to date lift system if this matters. It suits us weel but is not for everyone.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
T Bar, Kappl booked today Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy