Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wild duck pop up

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've been for a few weeks snowboarding and i brought my first board before i'd even ever ridden before (i knew i was going to love snowboarding NehNeh ) I brought a wild duck pop up snowboard.

I can't really find many reviews on it so i was just looking for some more information on it really. Things like how long until I've probably outgrown it etc. I'm doing a season in Les arcs come December so will the board last me through my progression through the season? At current i'd say i'm in between beginner but not intermediate yet, can confidently link turns on most ish red runs (wipe out occasionally though eg getting a massive black eye smacking a piste marker poll last holiday lol)

I'm really looking at thoroughly improving my boarding so will i be able to do so on this board?

Photobucket
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome Madeye-Smiley

Ok, so what you have bought is a Jib board. These are really designed to be used in the snow parks on rails etc...
It will be ideal for using in the snowdome and probably ok to learn on as its pretty flexible.

The whitelines snowboard buyers guide says:
They (Wild Duck) say: A new shape has been specifically developed for high level riders and constructed with the requirements of the market
We (Whitelines) say: The softest flexing board in the Wild Duck line is strangely one of the more expensive - its still a bargain though! "Such a sick jib board. Would suit a beginner jibber looking for a good priced board."

The question is, would you want to do a season on it? I would say no. At least not on it alone. It looks like you've got yourself a pretty good jib board and by the sounds of it you've reached an ok standard on it. If you're doing a season then your riding is quickly going to progress far beyond your current level. As you start going faster on the mountain and riding more challenging terrain, the chances are that you will start to find that your jib board isn't best suited to all mountain riding, they can be pretty slow by comparison with an all-mountain board and not all that responsive. I think that you would start to find that the board was holding you back.

Are you interested in Jibbing? If so then I would hold onto the board to use in the park / snowdome and buy a 2nd board, an all-mountain one such as a Bataleon Goliath, Burton Custom, Rome Anthem, Forum Destroyer etc... there are still a few end of season bargains to be had. The advantage of this is that (depending on how hard you ride) you might well trash your board over the course of a full season. This way you would have a back up if that happens.

If you're not interested in jibbing then I'd deffo consider replacing it with an all mountain board as it will be more suited to the riding you'll be doing.

Hope that helps mate Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I do like jibbing so i don't think i'll be selling the pop up i do kinda love it NehNeh
Think i'll grab an all mountain if poss.

Just a general question, is the skate banana a jib or all mountain board?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
WesTaylor wrote:

Just a general question, is the skate banana a jib or all mountain board?

Depends who you talk to! Not ridden one but have read and heard reviews that say jib only others that say all mountain but best in powder, as I say I don't know what to belive about 'em! My geuss is that it's really a jib board, so not best as a second board along side your Wild Duck.

Unless you've got money to throw about like a gorilla throwing sh*t, take your wild duck away with you when you feel like you can't improve on it any more or can't keep up in powder ask around and people are often selling/swapping boards! Also living breathing boarding during a season your gonna pick up on what boards people are loving and what would be the best stick for you to progress onto!

Enjoy your season! Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The skate banana is marketed as a jack of all trades. Personally if I was going to get a Lib Tech I'd get one of the Phoenixs (either the Jamie Lynn or the Lando). You'll struggle to get any of last season's Libs though - they tend to be snapped up pretty quickly.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
you'll struggle getting anything off libtech imo.
The problem with a full on jib stick is you'll struggle to get really fast on it without it flapping around.

Banana is all mountain freestyle imo, like the custom etc, the rocker isnt mental enough to make the board useless on the piste. It becomes more of a jib board when you undersize a fair bit (like 5cm or more).
I was hugely impressed with rockers for off piste riding and buttery jib things, bigger rockers didnt float my boat as they lost too much piste control.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well i've found a 09 banana and burton c02 bindings pretty well priced but of course still not sure :S

The idea of waiting untill over there is pretty good but unfortunately i'm not a gorilla throwing sh*t at all hahah (poor kid).

Buying gear is so addictive
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
the rocker isnt mental enough to make the board useless on the piste
bigger rockers didnt float my boat as they lost too much piste control.

So the banana will be tough to control and won't get much speed?
My duck is a 155 and i'm looking at a 159 banana so as its not undersizing it won't be too much of a jib board?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
WesTaylor, Im 5'10, 12.5 stone and have used the Bannana 156 and felt absolutey fine on piste and stable at speed and really fun to ride..
Just beware these things aint built to last i broke one last season so did my mate along with alot of other people.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
WesTaylor, no, the banana I class as a mid rocker. I'm talking about mental boards that are freestyle specific/off piste. The 2010 salomon salvatore sanchez has the mentalist rocker I ever saw. Thew only reason I didnt buy one (as I loved it for jibbing and off piste) was it didnt go fast enough/felt sketchy at speed.
Depends how tall you are as well with the size. 159 is my maximum, 154 the minimum and I'm 6 foot who isnt that bothered about searching out freshies unless its high season and full of monkeys.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
i'm 6ft, 11 stone. currently with a 155 board.
The banana i'm looking at says it had the tip repaired with epoxy i've read that as you say romeowner alot of the bananas seem too brake eaisly.
So the big question stay away from the banana and buy a custom or something or go bananas?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
custom V Smile
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
WesTaylor, you wouldn't want a banana split now would you!!!! wink
Also read good reviews on the Nnever Summer Slr
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I like the fact the NS Slr is custom hand made and the 3 year warrenty seems pretty nice also but they're damn expensive. Tho atm i've finally decided on a toss up between a 08/09 Custom ICS Or an SL-r. Though i don't think i'm good enough for a such a nice stick like the NS Sl-r so i guess i'll look around for a cheap Custom.

Btw do last seasons boards get cheaper from now untill december or will they all be snapped up now? Just wondering whether or not to buy now or later
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy