Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Lyke Wake Walk

Poster: A snowHead
Seems like a good idea at the time, doing some research, appears to be steeped in history and some controversy when the "original" club folded and the "new" club started.

THE LYKE WAKE WALK is a complete crossing of the North Yorkshire moors along their main east-west watershed between the Stone at grid reference 470994 and the Trig point at 971012, a distance of approximately 40 miles. Every person who completes a crossing of the Lyke Wake Walk on foot within a period of 24 hours, and who reports it to the Club, is eligible for membership. There is no membership fee. Female members are titled Witch and males are titled Dirger.

New club - https://lykewake.org/index.php
old club - http://lykewakewalk.co.uk/

It starts off fairly flat along a road, up through some woods, and was pleasantly calm and fairly mild.

It then gets pretty lumpy, we set off around 10:45pm after dropping 2 cars at the end and driving to the start where a sign post told us it was closer to walk back home! The route was surprisingly busy, the first person we came across, had 2 support crew and a number pinned on his shorts. About an hour later we came across another runner and his support runner told us he was 2nd placed in a 110 mile ultra! We later came across a guy who was in a longer version of the race, doing 160 miles (Hardmoors 160) ! He hadn't slept since Fri and we could tell!

Around 3am onwards it was getting noticeably lighter but also the wind was picking up and we were seeing more headlights on the moors from the various races

The middle section is fairly flat along old railway lines, the wind picked up further, with it being a North Easterly it was bitter, we were walking in 4 layers, hats and gloves. Although on reflection it was preferable to 22 degrees and hot sun!

The 2 week dry spell was pretty helpful, the infamous boggy section was dry and bouncy with only occasional areas to pick around carefully.

There is no "official" route, although it is marked on some maps, there is a start and end stone. It was pretty tough, even worse when I got to the end stone then realised it was a further 24 min walk to the hotel. I think my body shut down at that point, started shivering and could hardly walk! I put on all my clothes, drank about 400ml of water/juice and staggered back to the hotel for an hours sleep, followed by a nice meal with a few drinks and an early night.

It was a tough 2 days the pics of me at the start and the end tell the story, I think the lack of sleep made it worse, we did see the odd random tent, some people do a double crossing in 48 hours, so perhaps that is what they were doing.

https://www.justgiving.com/page/greg-hilton-lww
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@kitenski, I thought you were supposed to be taking it easy!!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Hurtle, Smile it was "just" a walk and raising money in memory of my brother....
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@kitenski, "just" Laughing Well done, anyway.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@kitenski, well done. Did it when I was at Uni
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Markymark29, I never knew about it until recently, seems quite a lot of folk have done it before!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well done, @kitenski, rather you than me!!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've got a coffin badge somewhere! First walked it in scorching heat in June '76, on the original route which I think started at the trig point north of Osmotherley and finished at Ravenscar village. We had to do some extra miles in the middle, because when we got to Wheeldale Moor in the middle of the night it was alight, and the firefighters sent us on a detour! And then again on the revised (current) route about 10 years later.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I remember takling it 3 in the 1960s. No glamorous things like support teams or cars parked at the end. We hitchhike to the start from Doncaster and back from the end, bying bread and jam, the only food we ate on the trip as we passed through town.

The first time we managed some sleep in the Heather on Fylingdales Moor, but aborted shortly afterwards when the rain became too heavy.

I cannot remember much of the second except it was very boggy and my brother got a lift in a Bentley with white carpets. He was caked in mud from foot to knee. We always hitched solo.

The third was the most ambitious- a winter attempt based purely on the thought that the bogs would be frozen solid. A full moon and late start wouldsllow us to see where we were going. Unfortunately it snowed. The road to Thirsk was blocked so I called it a day. Trying to get back home I got a lift in car who were really shocked to see me - they'd dropped off my identical twin brother when they turned around a few miles up the road. and thought I was he.

Somehow he got a lift with someone who given me a lift and knew I'd turned back. I got home about 10 in the evening. Dave made it about 4 the next morning. It was cold. Dave was carrying the primus stove and tea bags milk and sugar so had brew ups beside the road while waiting for a lift.

Anyway we never managed the walk so well done@kitenski, . You succeeded where we failed
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@johnE, blimey they sound like proper adventures!

@ecureuil, The guy who persuaded us all to do it got us all badges which was a nice touch!

latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@kitenski, Well done, didn’t realise the Club had reopened. The walk was stopped to halt erosion, it became too popular.
I did it when I was 14, I remember seeing the red light on the mast at Ravenscar from 15 miles away, it still haunts me! Dad had to unlock the loo door in Ravenscar, I had sat down and was out for the count…
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@chocksaway, the never getting closer mast was a low point!

There appears to be a new club after the old folded, some stories to be told about that I’m sure !
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It's on our doorstep, any area that we mtb in every week. I know a number of people that have done it. All not wired up right, none enjoyed it.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Remember some of my male 6th form counterparts heading off to do it in the summer holidays after their A-levels. Not sure if any of them actually managed it or not, but they were a real hardy bunch.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@kitenski, good effort on the fund-raising, and we’ll done on the adventure. Nice photos, especially the one showing headlights across the moor.
latest report
kitenski wrote:

It was pretty tough, even worse when I got to the end stone then realised it was a further 24 min walk to the hotel. I think my body shut down at that point, started shivering and could hardly walk! I put on all my clothes, drank about 400ml of water/juice and staggered back to the hotel for an hours sleep, followed by a nice meal with a few drinks and an early night.

presumably the start of a hypoglycemia (aka bonk) ? Not helped by the energy sapping cold wind.
latest report
my father in law and sister in laws did this maybe 10 years ago, IIRC he was ca 80 at the time and at one point complained that there were some 'old people' in front slowing him down. He was a character, sadly passed away now. By the end one SiL was having hallucinations.
ski holidays
I've done it twice and got my coffin badge... the end was particularly painful with that pylon never seeming any closer .. won't be doing a third! Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy