Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Route advice please and a possible free journey to Austria....

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
.....provided you share the driving.

I am driving to Austria next year, leaving Paisley in Scotland on Friday 8th January 2010 and returning from Zell am See on Saturday 30th January.

Until now my plan was to use the Hull-Rotterdam ferry but I am now wondering about using the chunnel both ways.

Via Hull and the ferry is about 500 km less driving although the ferry costs more than the chunnel so it is roughly cost neutral. Obviously the ferry would give me a good break and the chunnel will be more driving and therefore more tiring. If I use it I don't really want to have to stop for a night but wonder if it is safe or advisable to sleep for a few hours in a service station car park?

Other factors are that using the Chunnel might get me there earlier as there is no way, even with five hours more driving I will stop for the 14 hours the ferry takes. On the way back I dont really want to have to race for the ferry on the Saturday 30th and would probably stop around the Dutch Border on the Saturday night, spend a day in Holland and get the Sunday night ferry. That said I would probably rather get home on the Sunday and the Chunnel with its 2 hours either way of booked departure leeway appeals from that point of view.

As it stands I am driving alone both ways as only I am there for the three weeks the others in the party are flying there and back via Munich, if anyone wants a lift and is prepared to share the driving let me know.

Any thoughts?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
newcastle-amsterdam - bit less driving on UK side, bit more on mainland EU
rosyth-zeebrugge - fair bit less driving on both sides, but only sails 3x per week, usually on the wrong day

it's a lot of driving if you go via dover-calais, but if you get one of the overnighters, you kill 2 birds by staying overnight on the mode of transport.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

you kill 2 birds by staying overnight on the mode of transport.

but only if you manage to sleep, which isn't always easy.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

you kill 2 birds by staying overnight on the mode of transport.

but only if you manage to sleep, which isn't always easy.

Ferries are not that bad, I was on the Europort-Harwich ferry on 15/10/87 and slept fine.

I don't think I would want to be driving on an autobahn having not slept much. All the times I have driven out to Austria I have stopped at one of the chain hotels in northern France then driven across Germany the next day.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Norfolkline Ferries from Dover to Dunkirk might be worth looking at... It takes a couple of hours to cross which means you can have a useful amount of rest on the ferry. At least, more than you'd get if you went through the Tunnel. The crossings in the middle of the night are usually very cheap. Get a ferry around midnight and you have the advantage of driving through the UK in the evening and getting past Belgium in the early morning before the roads get busy.

Probably not advisable to sleep in a service station carpark... I've often done it and had no trouble but its not a smart thing to do rolling eyes
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I am so glad my relations all live about 25min from Dover...

Due to this we have never had to think about the hassles of driving in the UK and how much it adds to the journey...

All I can add is that it is all doable in one hit once your are on the continent. As long as you a re fresh faced and ready to go!

So if I were you I would look into the sleeper ferry options.

Good luck! And let me know when you get here so we can meet up for a bit....!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rjs, must have been a fun night on that boat... while I was hiding under the duvet waiting for the oak tree outside to come thru the bedroom window.

pam w, might not sleep on the way out, but I'd certainly be sleeping on the way back after a week's skiing and a 12hour drive.

For scotland, I used to go via Rosyth, when it was 6 daily services per week each way. Then they swapped to 3 every other day, which never met my schedules. Then they binned it, then Norfolk Line? brought it back. Now I usually go via Newcastle, which is not bad at all, but this year the prices were extortion, so trying Europoort-Hull. Anyone know how it compares with the others?

Fortunately, half of my ferry trips are only to Kent, so hardly any driving on the UK side.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy