Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Glacier skiing in Tignes - what to expect?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I'm looking for some advice about glacier skiing.

We are heading off to Tignes in a few weeks and I am keen to head up Le Grande Motte and ski back down the red run. We'll have area passes, so may try the other glacier on the Val D'Isere side too, if we get chance.

I have never been anywhere with a glacier before, and am a little nervous about what to expect, having read about people falling down glacier crevasses etc. Shocked Is this something we're likely to encounter, or more of an issue for off-pisters? We'll be sticking to the marked runs.

Is this a genuinely sensible concern, or am I just being soft? Toofy Grin

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Scarlet, and welcome!
Its genuinely sensible enough to be wary of skiing on glaciers, but there's no need to worry about skiing on clearly-marked pistes on glaciers within public ski areas.
The run from the peak of La Grande Motte all the way down to Val Claret is an epic run and well worth a go. You can get to the top using just 2 lifts from Val Claret: the Grande Motte underground funicular, then the Grande Motte cable car. The uppermost piste is called 'Glacier' and it seamlessly links with the 'Face' piste, which in turn flows into the 'Double M' piste for a non-stop run back to the resort; big wide reds all the way.
Enjoy!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The snow on the glacier is normally lovely, it can become a quite windswept, and so long as you stick to open runs theres no more danger there than anywhere else in the ski area. Make sure you pick a sunny calm day to go up
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
1 of 2 things will happen when you come out of teh funicular at Grane Motte :

a) if it is a sunny day you will be absolutely gobsmacked by teh immense beauty of the world and reaffirm every positive thought about why you choose skiing as a holiday

b) if it is a snowy day, you will stagger against theglacial wind and blizzard as soon as you climb out of the train, force your way to the exit doors, try and find a bit of shelter to put your gloves on and do your jacket up, then fight your way out into the eye of teh blizzard and then work out how to stand up in a gale, get your skis on, work out where your friends are, work out its useless to open a piste map, try and find the piste signs, and then just follow the indistinct shapes in front of you that seem to be going downwards off into the snowy mist

Have a great time - you will not need tp wprry about crevasses on a pisted run up there. It really is another world. Honestly i prefer the glaxier above Val D'I than Tignes albeit it was the coldest my feet have EVER been in ski boots , so make sure you put on 2 pairs of socks the day you go .

Wonderful place whatever the weather - in both cases you really know you are alive Smile
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks, that puts me at ease somewhat! Hopefully we'll get good weather and I'll have the opportunity to go up.

Is the deal much the same over at the Pte du Montet? Is this worth a look too, or will it not be worth the trek? (We're staying in Les Brevieres)

Ta for your help Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
sev112, Ahh yes, blizzardy soup! We had some of that in Chatel last year (albeit at a much lower alt) - got off the chair and then wandered around for about 10 minutes until we found the piste! As I remember, we spent the rest of the day in the monkey park, trying not to break various limbs. But at least we could see Toofy Grin
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
No need to worry about crevasses on the marked runs as has already been said.

Just for the record though, skiing in December a few years ago on the piste from the Grand Motte when the snow cover was not brilliant, we did find two or three "cracks" and a couple of little holes in the piste. They were far too narrow to be any threat but when we took a close look at them, in the unlikely event that you had dropped a ski pole down a couple of them, you would be unlikely to see it again.

One half decent snow fall and they would be filled in but even on piste it's quite surprising what you might be skiing over without realising it.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
richjp,

wow - have not seen that

But i was looking at the Kitzsteinhorn glacier at Kaprun on google earth yesterday and it looks REALLLLy like a geography textbook Sad Gulp
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sev112 wrote:
1 of 2 things will happen when you come out of teh funicular at Grane Motte :

a) if it is a sunny day you will be absolutely gobsmacked by teh immense beauty of the world and reaffirm every positive thought about why you choose skiing as a holiday

b) if it is a snowy day, you will stagger against theglacial wind and blizzard as soon as you climb out of the train, force your way to the exit doors, try and find a bit of shelter to put your gloves on and do your jacket up, then fight your way out into the eye of teh blizzard and then work out how to stand up in a gale, get your skis on, work out where your friends are, work out its useless to open a piste map, try and find the piste signs, and then just follow the indistinct shapes in front of you that seem to be going downwards off into the snowy mist

Have a great time - you will not need tp wprry about crevasses on a pisted run up there. It really is another world. Honestly i prefer the glaxier above Val D'I than Tignes albeit it was the coldest my feet have EVER been in ski boots , so make sure you put on 2 pairs of socks the day you go .

Wonderful place whatever the weather - in both cases you really know you are alive Smile

There is a 3rd, I nearly passed out the 1st time I went on the funicular from Val Claret. It was the 1st afternoon in the resort and I went straight on the funicular after only being in the resort for an hour. The severe change in altitude was more than I could handle. Day after I was fine. Embarassed
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Save the trip up there for a clear day. The views are amazing.

There is a restaurant at the top of the funicular with a massive terrace and then the big cable car to near the peak.
Its a must visit.

The piste is very wide and marked as such as a red. Its only steep in the odd place near the very top.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Scarlet wrote:
Thanks, that puts me at ease somewhat!

Don't just be put at ease somewhat. Be put at ease totally by what has has been said. Cool

The Grand Motte run is great. The Le Fornet side of Val d'Isere is also a great place to play. Go enjoy and worry not.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Agreed! You'd never know you were on a glacier, unless you knew. wink Fabulous, fabulous, vistas. But don't bother if it's cold.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

coldest my feet have EVER been in ski boots , so make sure you put on 2 pairs of socks the day you go

Don't do this, if your boots fit properly it will just cut off the circulation to your feet and make them much colder. I'm not even sure I could get mine on with two pairs of ski socks. Just keep moving and you will stay warm
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Agreed rambotion, that was bad advice. I certainly couldn't put my boots on with two pairs of ski socks. If I could, it would be because the boots had been badly fitted in the first place. When your feet have started start getting cold, sev112, have you tried slackening your boots off a bit in case you are inhibiting the circulation?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ok, ok, I'm at ease! Getting excited now Very Happy

ccl, rambotion, don't worry, there's no way I could get 2 pairs of socks in my boots without chopping my feet off! Might take an extra (upper) layer though.
snow conditions
Quote:

I'm not even sure I could get mine on with two pairs of ski socks. Just keep moving and you will stay warm

I definitely couldn't get two pairs on, but I don't agree you will stay warm if you keep moving. If it's very cold, and you're made that way, your feet will get cold (indeed, even if it's not very cold, my feet appreciate my heatronics). It's particularly difficult if you use a lot of drag lifts - I suppose your feet are then very near the snow. If you're inclined to cold feet, and it's chilly, there's really little point going up the Grand Motte when there's so much else you can do.
snow report
Scarlet,
In a week you should be able to cover the whole Espace. Do try both glaciers if you get chance (even the Val D glacier is not too huge a trek from Brev). Also do the 'Eye of the Needle' and take your camera!
ski holidays
I love that run off the top of the Grand Motte, but haven't managed to do it the last couple of times I've been to Tignes. Year before last, I was ill for the whole holiday and only managed to get half a day's skiing and last year the cable car up to the top was closed everytime I made it up there because of strong winds. If you do manage to get up there on a clear day it is amazing and worth the queuing for the cable car. When you get to the top, hang back for a while, take in the views and then, just before the next cable car arrives - head down the glacier - you will have it practically to yourself!
snow report
I once watched a liftie standing on top of the cable car sweeping snow off the roof. Nothing special about that, you say? Well, it wasn't while the cabin was stationary at the bottom but from the top all the way down . It brought my vertigo on just to watch him. Shocked
ski holidays
Kenzie, We'll give it a try - here's hoping for 6 blue sky days (and snow every night, obviously Toofy Grin ) My camera lives in my pocket, though it mostly seems to be for comedy crashes...
sazza42, Nice tip, thanks.
ccl, Well as many snowHead have pointed out, it gets cold on the glacier and you have to keep moving Shocked
snow report
It is sometimes warmer on the glacier than in the valley = two weeks ago it was minus 12 in Tignes and only minus 3 at the top of the Grande Motte cable car.
snow report
When I was there in April last year, the glacier had the superior conditions.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy