Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pick the worst Ski Instructors

What Country has the worst ski instructors?
Austria
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
France
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Switzerland
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Italy
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Andorra
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Canada
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
USA
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Somewhere else
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Voted : 23
Total Votes : 0

Poster: A snowHead
Having read a story in the Feb edition of the Daily Mail Ski and Snowboard mag by Konrad Bartelski on French ski instructors lacking the necessary teaching skills what does everyone rate as the worst country for ski school.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Peter Ross, although i have skied in Canada, I have only ever used ski school in France, so I'm not going to vote, as I could say it was both the worst and the best.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 31-01-05 23:03; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Same has Helen, with the addition of a few lessons in the USA: I'd be surprised if anyone has enough personal information to vote with confidence!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
My cup is half full snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've only had lessons in Canada Sad
Mostly positive experiences, but nothing to compare it with.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've had ski instruction in five of the nations above. In all of them (apart from Andorra and Canada) there have been good instructors and bad, I don't think that it has much to do with nationality, more to do with pot luck.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Peter Ross, polls are not working these days. Admin is on the case but it might not be a quick fix (we tried a QF yesterday and it failed...) Voted for 'Somewhere Else' as I've seen an Iranian Instructor in action with a BA Trolley Dolly first time skier. With his very limited English he kept yelling 'Make an Eight' repeatedly. She was understandably totally baffled Puzzled So was I for a time .......

But if you know Arabic numerals 8 = ^ and all he was asking her to do was snowplough. snowHead snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

But if you know Arabic numerals 8 = ^ and all he was asking her to do was snowplough.

Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I sure it's not true of the whole country, but an english guy called Fraser in Saalbach, Austria last year was rubbish. He gave up trying to teach my OH after 3 days because she was the least confident in the class. We went back to ski school the day after, as I taught her for a day and he said he could not believe the transformation. It's a shame he didn't put the same effort in bearing in mind that was what he was paid to do.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
kuwait_ian, Good Story Razz but it's a pity my poll isn't collecting votes!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kuwait_ian, I thought we used Arabic numerals. Damn confusing if the Arabs are using something different! Can you explain?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Chris Bish, it's slightly complicated. Yes you are quite right and our current style of writing them is correctly described as Arabic numerals and there are many similarities between the western and middle eastern versions. 1 is much the same but just slightly curved here, our Western 2 is sort of the old 'Arabic' style but rotated (mutated ?) thro' 90 degrees, as is 3 which also lost a 'tail' on the move. Some don't correspond at all in any way I can see but an expert could show you the flow from the old version used in the deserts to the modern typeface. 7 = V (which could be another rotation). 8 = ^ (which made the story work when I'd figured it out) 9 is exactly the same in both 'systems'. Easy. Our 0 is just a fattish dot in modern Arabic script. But the Arabs now call the way we write them, Hindi, implying an Indian connection or origin. Clear as mud ? Let's steer clear of phonetic pronunciation of them, please. wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've had instruction in Austria, France, Switzerland and Italy but voted for somewhere else - that being Scotland with a young lad who couldn't work out why one of his beginners could only turn one way. He didn't think to ask if there was a problem, and later in the week the class was halted by a cry from the back "My leg's fallen off" - True - the guy was ski-ing with one false leg ..

Kramer, Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
easiski, Laughing Laughing Laughing best tale yet on this thread.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Surly the worst and the best could be in the same country. You can't brand one country as poor because of and individual instructor was bad. I had some friends who said that their Austrian ski school lessons were poor when I asked why it was because of other group members slowing the group down and the instructor had to nurse these individuals down the slopes rather than being a bad instructor if I hadn't asked that I would maybe assume that the instructor was poor. Come on guys lets stop ski school bashing and talk about the positives and say which instructors are good.
latest report
Russell, True. I've had an alarming experience in the last couple of weeks:

I've had two different clients, both have skied one week before with ski school, and neither of them was taught to either traverse or side slip! One went to Italy last year and the other to France 6 years ago.

Does anyone else find this positively HORRIFYING? Confused
ski holidays
easiski, bizarre! Did they seem like good learners? They'd not forgotten or anything? 6 years is quite a long time.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy