Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Exercise Telemark Titan 2018- Instruction and GB Telemark Championships in PLV

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just back from this amazing 11 day combination of telemark instruction and racing arranged by the AWSA (Army Wintersports Association) and open to GB military and civilians. I went to be responsible for my 16 yr old son with no real intention of competing (or even doing any race training).

We both had a blast!

What:Exercise Telemark Titan Both telemark training from beginner to GB team level combined with racing. Races arranged in 2 classes- Championship and Development- suitable for both experienced telemarkers and novices.

Instruction provided by ESF- instructors included Sven Lau -youngest of the Lau brothers who have all been telemark world champions and Anne-Flore Aufrere- winner of the women's alpine Derby de la Meige. The instruction was incredible. It is just not possible to go to an ESF or other ski-school office and ask for a group telemark lesson to be taken by a world cup winning racer/ world champion with a group of similarly skilled group members. Nor is it possible to find teelmark instruction in about 8 or so different levels. Anne-Flore took the group I was in - simple clear instruction- progressive tasks, specific simple individualised feedback. The best ski instruction I've ever had. The GB coach was also teaching for a couple of days before he and Jasmin Taylor went off to the US- where Jaz has just won 2 Golds! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Races- Telemark GS, Sprint, Classic and Mountain Races (unfortunately the Championship GS and mountain races were cancelled due to weather).

Where: Pralognan la Vanoise- up the road from Bozel and Champagny- a small and very French resort. 4 Chair lifts a cable car some pomas. Great mountain restaurants (beer 4 euros- coffee- cheap). Hotel Vacanciel- full board- huge and tasty breakfast / lunch / dinner - proper French food from France rather than Chalet fare. Comfy enough rooms. Ski prep areas.

When: Last 2 weeks Sat 13-Thurs 25 Jan 2018- 11 days skiing

Who:GB military (but not the RAF who have a separate event) plus GB civilians. To race you need to be a member of the AWSA, registered with SSE (or similar) and or BSS or a member of a SSE affiliated club (i.e. not SGCB). A very diverse group. Military- Royal Marines, Sappers, Navy, different parts of the Army, OTC groups, members of the Scottish Telemark Club, and assorted other civilians- GB telemark team members, keen skiers and club racers, llama hat wearing lentil eating Guardian readers (like me). Telemark experience- from FIS registered international telemarkers through to at least one person who'd never skied before.

How much: £870 for civilians- including: full board, lift pass, instruction, race entry. Plus £100 transfer. Not included- flights, transfer and race insurance (we used MPI). Military pay less. I worked out that we paid about £100pppd all in - which is in my opinion incredible value.

Whats it like: Hard work- amazing fun, great company. Skiing daily with either instruction or racing. Lunch at the hotel (very tasty including starters, mains, pasta, salad, dessert, cheese), briefing, dinner, bar, sleep, repeat.

How did we do? Much to my surprise I really liked race and gate training- although I really do prefer to turn where I want to turn rather than where the gate is. My R98 Carbonlite Whitedots with Hammerhead bindings don't make the best race ski and my total lack of training didn't do me any favours. But I completed the Sprint and Classic without being disqualified or sustaining a life changing injury- and I didn't come last- (in fact I beat at leat 2 Marines) result! Littled1 came 9th overall in the sprint- wiped out but got back up again after the jump in the classic and came 23rd. His teams came first in both the classic and the sprint- Boom! We also skied quite a bit of powder- on and off piste which was quite deep in places. Rain stopped play 1 day- spa, ice skating, bowling and laundry provided sufficient distraction.

I was delighted to have been part of it and will be fighting Mrs Ed to be able to accompany littleed1 again next year.

Next years dates have been set- 11/01/2019-25/01/2019 immediately before the World Cup Telemark races in PLV (in 2019 these will be hosted by France) on the 26th and 27th.

Who should go? Anyone who loves skiing. Suitable for any competent alpine skier who wants to learn to tele through to aspiring racers / GB team members. Telemarking is a very satisfying snowsport and adds enormously to a skiers repertoire. Balance, fun, stability, strength are all improved. It is ideal for making skiing with kids / friends / family interesting. It is very very friendly and cooperative.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Great write up. My son converted from snow boarding to Telemark when he was 16. Ended up going to telemark Titan when he was at Uni and then racing Tele at interservices.

There are still very few Telemark skiers around especially in Austria.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Teletart, thanks- does he still knock about?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
He does but work had stopped him going to telemark Titan the last 2 seasons. Last winter he ran an alpine squad although he wasn't an alpine skier.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
He does but work had stopped him going to telemark Titan the last 2 seasons. Last winter he ran an alpine squad although he wasn't an alpine skier.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@ed123, Ed, brilliant write up. I was going to do similar. As you say, a truly outstanding event which is great fun and unbeatable value for money.

Think the dates for participants in 2019 will be Sat 12 Jan to Thurs 24 Jan and with the telemark world cup Fri, Sat and Sun following. For which volunteers will be great appreciated.

Great to ski with you and Ben.

Hope to see you next year plus lots of new young talent. Telemark GB are looking for good alpine skiers at 14 and up who will find the transition remarkably easy.

And all please sign the petition at change.org to get Telemark as an Olympic sport which will get UK sport funding.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
colinstone wrote:
@ed123,

Great to ski with you and Ben.

Likewise Colin.

I'm trying to keep the post up as I'd really like more people to go.

For any snowheads who are 'telecurious' this the ideal event.

Something I omitted from the main post was that as this is primarily a GB Military event- to which others are invited it is subject to financial pressures- like every other aspect of public expenditure right now. The more people who attend- especially civilians - the more likely it is to continue, the better deal the AWSA can get wit the hotel, the cost for everyone goes down and the combination of military and civilians in an event like this is I'm sure very interesting and healthy for all.

Would someone like to try and sort out a snowheads posey for 2019?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

My R98 Carbonlite Whitedots with Hammerhead bindings

Get some NTNs on them --- then you can really rip down the course Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy