Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tell me about Park City, Utah

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've seen a trip advertised that has 10 days in Park City then a road trip to Vegas. As my hubby and i got married in Vegas i thought this would make a nice anniversary present for him. He's a boarder though and i know some of the resorts in Utah dont allow boarding. He's only just learnt so would like a fairly tame resort to build his confidence, would park city fit the bill here?

Also isnt Utah a dry state? So would we have to spend the park city side of the trip sober? Shocked
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not dry in fact Park City beng the only real ski town in Utah is probably the boozing capital of the state and I think bizarre licensing laws were going to change as they were an impediment to domestic & intl tourism. I'd guess Park City has a lot of tamish terrain & the Canyons is nearby. If you'd prefer to stay in SLC, Brighton and Solitude are geared towards boarders too.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think they have changed to stop you having to join the bars you wanted to drink in. I think.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We never had to join a club to get drinks in SLC, but the strength of beer is limited and if you want wine the experience may be different.

Park City and neighbouring resort The Canyons both allow boarders, but Deer Valley at the head of the valley doesn;t allow them. Not sure as to terrain as I didn;t make it round to that side of the mountain, we stayed in the Big and Little Cottonwood Canyon resorts
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We were there in January. We didn't have a car and had no problems. There are excellent free buses to Park City, Deer Valley & The Canyons.

Definitely enough moderate terrain at PC and the Canyons to entertain you for a week, especially as hubby is a beginner. If you are a bit more experienced there are excellent steeps and glades as well, with lots of stuff in between.

No problems buying drink in PC - though ouside of licensed "clubs" beer is limited to a watery 3.2%. You have to pay a few dollars to join the clubs so we didn't bother - as we're not big night owls and just wanted a few beers with meals. Also, there is a liquor store in central PC where you can buy full strength beer, plus wine and spirits, at cheap enough prices. We did that to top up the weak beer. The really funny thing is that the liquor store is quite inconspicuous and poorly signed - it feels almost like (I would imagine Embarassed) visiting a sex shop over here. When we asked for directions a Park City policeman told us there was no liquor store - said it had closed down. Obviously we looked like the type of 40-something skiers who would down a few 5% beers then smash the town up. All very strange. A local told us that it's because the police are part of the puritanical establishment and don't want anyone to drink at all!

PC is quite big, with most restaurants and bars near either Main street or Prospector Sq, which are a fair distance apart. As mentioned, the free buses are excellent though. There's a big choice of eating out places - with a lot of very top end prices like $50 or 60 for a steak. If it's your anniversary there are some fantastic looking "push the boat out" type restaurants. It's all gone upmarket (apparently) in recent years due to the annual Sundance Film Festival. There are still some "normally priced" places to eat - though we found them slightly more expensive than other places we've skied in the US. Not exorbitant though & probably similar prices to the UK. The usual choice of Tex Mex, pizza, burgers, Chinese, Italian, Thai etc. The £ had slumped when we went ($1.40-ish) so that was also a factor for us.

One final thing. It was Mrs MA's birthday while we were there. For a surprise for her I booked us on the olympic bobsleigh run, which is very near Park City. You can do it on an evening after a full day on the slopes. If you enjoy scary theme park rides, let's just say that the bobsleigh takes it to a "slightly" different level!! Absolutely terrifying but utterly incredible - 80mph and pulling 4 Gs on some bends Shocked!! We both loved it.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
mountainaddict, bob sleigh run, thats done it we're going! For our actually anniversary i hope to time it right so we're in Vegas that night, so we can go to Luteche where we went for the meal on our wedding night (and i actually ran out on due to a run in with shellfish that i'm allergic to lol), he's never forgiven me for not eating the $400 meal we'd ordered lol

We're not looking to go on the lash there but we do like a cheeky beer or two apres ski so thanks for your advice.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mountainaddict wrote:
Also, there is a liquor store in central PC where you can buy full strength beer, plus wine and spirits, at cheap enough prices. We did that to top up the weak beer. The really funny thing is that the liquor store is quite inconspicuous and poorly signed - it feels almost like (I would imagine Embarassed) visiting a sex shop over here. When we asked for directions a Park City policeman told us there was no liquor store - said it had closed down. Obviously we looked like the type of 40-something skiers who would down a few 5% beers then smash the town up. All very strange. A local told us that it's because the police are part of the puritanical establishment and don't want anyone to drink at all!

Not sure about the cops, but there are two liquor stores in town- sounds like you are describing the one on Main St. which is by far the smaller of the two. The one closer to the big Supermarket (I think Safeway) is layed out nicely and much better stocked. Hours of both are regulated by the State, so you have to plan in advance with no late night refills possible.

Getting served at restaurants seemed much easier when we were there a few years ago than what I recall from the 80s.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Park City would be a great choice in Utah. Some of the best grooming in the states combined with the best quality of snow on the continent works pretty well. 3 major areas just a free bus ride away with huge variance of personalities. The town was an 1800's mining town which for the western US is old. Lots of sunshine normally, and dependable snow.

The only area in Utah that nixes boarders is Alta, but literally next door to it is Snowbird, and it'll do! Its' bigger by far.

Drinking; Utah just loosened some of their alchohol laws. The town will be sitting at about 2300? meters so don't worry much about alchahol content, elevation will make up for it. There are some very good microbrew beers. I have never had a bad (or too expensive) meal at a micro-brewery. Try some of the Washington and Oregon wines if that is to your taste, they will compete strongly with their euopean cousins. Have a great time!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
One of the local PC brews
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We did Vegas and staying at The Canyons in March, but flew rather than road trip between the two, there is a lot of nothing between them! It worked well as you cant fly directly in to SLC.

There is another liquor store as you turn off the interstate on the way up to Park City (opposite side of the road from walmart) which I think is slighty better than the one by the supermarket in PC. But don't tell anyone it isn't a dry state it keeps it nice and quiet wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stranger wrote:
The only area in Utah that nixes boarders is Alta,

You forgot Deer Valley.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snobunni
Quote:

bob sleigh run, thats done it we're going!

You won't regret it!! As far as bobsleighing goes it was fourth time lucky for us:

Attempt 1: Booked a run in Innsbruck - only to find that the foehn wind had melted the track....
Attempt 2: Arrived in La Plagne one late March - to find the track had closed a couple of days before.....
Attempt 3: Calgary runs fully booked on the one night we could do it....
Attempt 4: Salt Lake City (ie really close to Park City as I mentioned earlier) Start: Shocked .......Middle: Skullie :.......End: Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Here's the web link:
http://www.olyparks.com/uop/rides.asp (NB: The site is currently showing a summer bobsleigh offering.......on wheels by the look of it: rolling eyes . The winter price is about 3 times the price of the summer version - but worth every penny)
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ooooo I am definitely putting bobsleighing on my list for the next trip Toofy Grin I have always wanted a to have a go Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stranger, 2,300 metres? Crikey, you're nearly right, I make it 2,072m. Not, IME or O high enough to have a noticeable affect, but I'll second all sentiments that getting squiffy in PC is not an issue.

UT has some (even while relaxed) very weird liquor laws that result in some excellently tasty (generally very, very hoppy) local brews of session strength, getting chased with JD, or some such. Odd.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Utah just loosened some of their alchohol laws. The town will be sitting at about 2300? meters so don't worry much about alchahol content, elevation will make up for it.

Unless, like me (hic.... Embarassed) you're used to a few bottles of the old 8 or 9% Mutzig from the supermarket in Tignes Val Claret at 2100m....It defolutely (hic Embarassed ) felt like they were sherving soft drinks in Park Shhhhhity Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy