Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Over rotation on heel edge

Poster: A snowHead
Should this be in BZK instead? Having a separate snowboarding sub-forum is silly.

Anyway:

I have a really annoying problem which I totally beat myself up about, and it is this: I over-rotate when transferring to my heel edge.

On occasion, and more by accident than anything else I think, I've been able to maintin a nice straight trajectory, just skipping from edge to edge, but more often than not my turns are woefully asymmetrical. Heel-to-toe (although overall this is the 'sketchier' of the two turns) I manage to keep fairly straight, but toe-to-heel I more often than not end up with the board fully across the slope and outrageously often rotate so far that I then have little option but to ride switch heel edge for a bit. If you see what I mean.

I've really been trying, but my back foot always takes control and swings the board right round.

HOW CAN I STOP THIS HAPPENING PLEASE?

Anyone know what I'm on about and can give tips?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes, been there done that.

I tend to do what you describe as a slope becomes steeper - probably because it is a reliable (but not good) form of speed control.

My way of overcoming this is to commit to flowing linked turns so that you are flowing into the next turn while still 'half way' through the last one.

But probably the best thing I do is to remember the Neil McNab method (from Go Snowboarding - as recommended by PamW) of edging, pressure and steering.

To keep you going on a 45 degree traverse you need to keep forward pressure along the board. If towards the end of the turn you bring your weight back to be centred on the board you will end up in a sideslip.

Have a look at Go Snowboarding (includes DVD). All will be revealed.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Got the book, seen the DVD, still can't 'do' it. Sad

Yet.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
cad99uk, i tend to do it on steep slopes to scrub off a bit of speed if necessary (although i don't go quite as far as "riding switch on the heel edge" - i think of it as a little 'flare turn'). i don't mind it, it's under control and only happens when i want it to, but you seem to suggest it's not a good form of speed control. what should i do other then a little scrub/flare to knock off some speed?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I do it literally all the goddamn time.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rogg, I think I was trying to say that that are better ways of controlling speed that allow a more flowing style of riding. This I hasten to add is based on watching better riders rather than what I achieve on a regular basis.

I am currently finding that it is better to scrub the speed off (with the rear foot) as you are turning through the fall line and then flowing into the next turn - rather than waiting for the turn to finish and then doing it.

I also find that if you combine this with ensuring that you come out of the fall line with bent knees (toe edge) or backside over the heel edge then the edge is engaged which also keeps the speed down (the component that is down the fall line).
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
paulio, It's probable that there are an assortment of issues going on. I'd suggest getting a couple of one to one sessions with a good instructor and build form there, on easy terrain.

If you've a bit of video that would help in ID the problem.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If i'm reading your description right, perhaps you're shifting your weight too far towards the front in your heel turn - If you're putting heavy pressure on your front heel the back of the board light, it'll want to pivot around the weighted point. Sounds like something i've done sometimes on cat-tracks when i'm tired/lazy at the end of a day...

... or i'm talking cobblers... Could be best to try and intergrate it into looking cool Cool
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
david@mediacopy, cheers. No suitable vids of me I'm afraid, the only one's I've got are from when I was very much just starting out. One-to-ones it will probably end up being I think. My theory is that beacuse my heel->toe turn is the one I'm more afraid of, I over-enthusiastically brake when going toward my heel, to make sure I'm fully, totally, slowly, in control for the subsequent heel->toe. They're always more psychological than physical, these skiing and boarding problems.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
paulio, Hi!
Sounds like you're nearly there if you're linking turns!
Have to agree with all that cad99uk, suggested about turning earlier and keeping weight further back after the turn to stop over-rotation. Only thing I would add is to keep practicing on easy slopes until you get the technique right. On blue runs you will be able to link the turns before you get too much speed up, which is often why the board gets too far across fall line. Keep persevering!!!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yeah, I can make the turns stick, I don't really wipeout very often. I just do this bloody over-rotation thing.

I've done entire (longish, red) runs where I've managed not to do it, and got into a really nice flow! But they're rare, and I put it down to fluke.

Yesterday at Hemel I was useless.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
paulio, sounds like your kicking your back leg to do your turns(like doing a power slide on a skate board) also thinking about it too much and trying to hard, get on a nice cruisy blue get your weight nicely on your front foot heel edge in and follow the board, dont try to push the board or rush the turns just keep it flowing nice....
good luck
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
you're not moving weight back to the centre of the board after the turn/pedalling too long. Once you are on toes coming to the heel the weight should go forwards, the front toe edge releases from the snow by pedalling, the rear toe edge is holding you - board goes straight - front heel edge is pedalled into the piste, rear toe edge is released - board starts making the heel turn - once you've turned enough weight comes back to the centre and rear heel edge grabs the snow.

hahaha, that makes no sense Laughing
If you somehow understand that you can add some weight to the rear at the end of the turn to get the gay euro carve ting going on.

Or do what you are doing on an uphill bit, I guess it's a garland in skiing terms but over exagerate it and drop your back hand on the piste lay back stylee, the faster the better wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Obviously I just need more practice. I was sort of wondering if there was a 'drill' to sort it out. Hands on hips type thing, or what have you.

Stupid snowboarding. I think I might give it up and become a telemarker instead.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
paulio wrote:
Obviously I just need more practice. I was sort of wondering if there was a 'drill' to sort it out. Hands on hips type thing, or what have you.

Stupid snowboarding. I think I might give it up and become a telemarker instead.

Telewhacking is even gheyer.

I'd try a drill like imagining a headlamp on my front knee for getting weight forward.

or

Imaginary short bungie from my front hand to nose of board which restricts the amount I can rotate from the axis of my board.
ski holidays
Rather than thinking about turning less on the heelside, think about turning more on the toeside in order to make your turns symetric.
snow conditions
Hi Paulio,

There's some really good advice from the posts above and yes probably the best way to fix any issues is to get a 1to1 with a good instructor as there is so much that can help when the info is given to you properly.

Here's a quick tip or two that I hope may help:
Remember your shoulders should remain square with the board at all times and upper body rotation is BAD unless you're winding up for some phat rotations in the air....lol.....a common upper body misalignment issue is to open the shoulders on the heel edge either during the turn or simply whilst riding thus having a knock on twisting effect down your body through your waist, legs and feet, causing the board to over-rotate when turning onto the heel edge. Try to concentrate on upper body alignment, stance and balance whilst you're riding and make all the changes of direction come through your feet first (foot pedaling, if you've heard of it) whilst keeping your knees wide and everything bar your head square with the board......you CAN look where you're going!

Hope this helps, good luck, J

wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy