Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skis - Totally Confused

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Although I am 50 , I am totally new to skiing having only taken it up this year (my loss). I've loved it and am trying to pack in as much as possible.

I am fortunate enough to be able to go ski-ing regularly being based in France and would like to buy my own skis in order to avoid queues and to get some consistency. The skis I have hired so far have ranged from the good to the downright useless (bindings not working etc.) . I am still very much a learner but will continue to push myself as far as I am able. I've spent perhaps 30 hrs with an instructor so far and will continue to do so. His latest advice was to get 170/175 carvers ... . I have 'progressed' to reds and the easiest of blacks but am still obviously learning and 'bumps' still give me the screaming heebie-jeebies. I LOVE this carving lark.

Ht :180
Wt : 85Kg (and should be less)

I am totally confused by the vast array of skis on offer but would love to buy some that I can call my own ( and yes I do own my own boots - Rossignol Salto RX - which seem to fit like a glove). Researching this site only confused more as each need is different

Can anyone give me any advice on what I should get ... ??

Many Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd suggest you try and find a resort that is doing a demo day, or find a local shop that will allow you to try out some new skis.

Most shops should then knock the cost of the demo hire off your purchase.

Or then pop down to a Decathlon and see if they have any bargains, once you've narrowed your choices down.

regards,

greg
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
gregh wrote:
I'd suggest you try and find a resort that is doing a demo day,
Most shops should then knock the cost of the demo hire off your purchase.

Or then pop down to a Decathlon and see if they have any bargains, once you've narrowed your choices down.

regards,

greg

Thanks -

Decathlon have sales now .. but no good without knowing what !

Just showing my total and absolute ignorance. I've never heard of 'demo days' nor seen them advertised. Any tips on finding out where and when?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Newbie50, Almost any skis you buy, as long as you look after them, will be better than rental. Don't go for top of the range skis yet - wait until you have top of the range skills !
Do you have your own boots ?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
demo days, are where a local shop/or ski manufacturer lets you try skis for free! I went to one in Val D'Isere. you basically have a chat, work out what you want then your allowed to ski for 30mins or so with them, take them back, try another pair (with a bit of queuing if it's busy)

Where do you ski? If you have a friendly shop they will also have "demo" skis which are this years skis you should be able to try out.

Maybe your instructor could recommend 3 or 4 skis to try, and maybe even a shop that has them on demo.

It's very hard to recommend skis, as IMHO it's a very personal ski, the ski you like, someone else may hate and vice versa.

regards,

greg
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ski wrote:
Newbie50, t - wait until you have top of the range skills !
Do you have your own boots ?

I guess the answer to my attaining 'top of the range skills' is 'in my dreams' Smile Realistic enough than I will never be able to get there .. but won't stop me trying

Raises the question ' In some sports top range equipment can help in attaining better ability. Is that true for skis?'

Yes I do own my own boots .. something the good lady recommended. So I bought before I started.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Newbie50, yep, good skis do help a lot, and it's quite interesting trying them out against one another.

There are a few good websites that give guidance and reviews on skis and they help in giving you a starting list of skis to try. I'll post links to these when I get home tonight.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ok, from the SCGB ski tests, some pointers to two category winners, the K2 is a more advanced ski than the Fischer. This is from their on piste carver section

"Of all the categories tested, this was by far the largest group. It’s the middle ground, where many designs and performance criteria come together. We’ve taken a selection in which there is a choice from each manufacturer. Most of these provide one example from a range. All models tested are show here, in addition to the selection in Ski and Board Magazine.

All these skis work very well on groomed runs, where can carve up any run with ease, generally in both short and long turns. Some of them are very forgiving, and take you gently into any type of all-mountain skiing, while others will grab you by the scruff of the neck and more dedicated to hard, fast carving.

There are some truly great skis on test here: if you’re looking for a highperformance ski that can handle all conditions and terrain, this is a group worth taking a close interest in."

K2 Apache Hellfire Price: £475 inc binding The Hellfire delivered a blistering performance on the piste immediately. The level of grip was simply astounding, with a seemingly limitless range. The quality of the ride that went with the edge-hold was phenomenal; very smooth, with superb dampening, yet very sensitive to skier—input.

This was without question the most impressive on-piste ski in this group. Away from the groomed slopes, it still skied well, that smooth flex and easy ride powering through the crud and chop with ease. Overall, a fantastic all-mountain carver, and a firm test-team favourite.

This is the winner in their on-piste rec section where they say:

"If you’re looking to improve your carving skills, and explore all areas of the mountain, these skis can make a major difference to your learning curve. Lighter weight, more forgiving flex patterns and sidecuts give them an easy quality in which the skier feels like the pilot, rather than a nervous passenger. But don't be deceived by price and appearances - some of the models have an incredibly wide performance range. These can be an intelligent choice for skiers looking for good all-terrain carving skis, but are on a tighter budget."

Fischer RX2 Price: £320 inc binding The entry-level model for Fischer’s new RX range, the RX2 is designed for lower-level carving, and comes with the Railflex integrated-binding system. It uses frequency tuning - an internal dampening system. For this price, the level of grip was simply astonishing, particularly at medium speeds.

Superb edge-hold seems to be a common trait with all Fischers. The grip was solid right through the whole arc of the turn - even in bullet-proof conditions. Another real strong point was the ease of turninitiation: you simply had to think about changing direction and the Fischer would dive into yet another perfect carved turn.

Moving onto very high speeds, the light weight started to show up in a loss of stability. At slower speeds, turn initiation, pivoting and skidding was very easy, which was a surprise for a ski with these carving characteristics. An impressive model, with a wide breadth of performance ability.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
gregh wrote:
ok, from the SCGB ski tests, some pointers to two category winners, the K2 is a more advanced ski than the Fischer.
K2 Apache Hellfire Price: £475 inc binding

Fischer RX2 Price: £320 inc binding .

OOh. Thanks very much. I hadn't found that article.

I will try and get my hands on those two as you suggested in a skishop or similar and give them a go.

I'll try Decathlon as well ( where I have bought all my other eqpt/ clothing) but they don't do 'demos'.

Kind Regards
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you are a SCGB member they have loads of this years skis on their webpage here:

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/membersonly/skitests/default.asp?intYear=2005
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
text Marc Gledhill (alt+b) Thanks very much. I would appreciate the links to give myself some ideas. I've only found manufacturer stuff so far.

Regards
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
this link may help Wink

http://www.ski-review.com/
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Newbie50, These are the links,

here,

here

and here

have fun snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
marc gledhill, Thanks very much in deed. I will enjoy the reads .. and the chosing.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy