Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

1st Time Today........

Poster: A snowHead
Arrived Tignes late last night. Here for 3 days with the sole intention of learning to board. We bought all the gear but genuinely my board still had a sticker on the bottom till 9am this morning.

We booked 3 hours of private lessons with Alliance snowboarding for today and tomorrow. First bit of luck was our instructor, Neil, has been Director of European snowboard BASI training for the last 5 years Shocked . We get Europe's top man Cool . He is so good and it is quiet at the moment we have booked him for an additional 3 hours on Tuesday.

After 3 hours of learning we called it a day for today to battered and bruised. I think all skiers should learn to board and understand what real pain is. However after 3 hours we even managed a few turns Cool

Are we enjoying it, well its one way to spend your 12th wedding anniversary. Will our boards be on E-bay come Saturday. No is the answer. Laughing Laughing
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
thefatcontroller, excellent - I am tempted myself !
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thefatcontroller, well done, you sound like you're making excellent progress so stick with it!

I hope enough of the mountain proper is open so you can avoid the T-bars on the glacier!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
thefatcontroller, glad to hear it. i hope you guys continue to enjoy your hols!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
if neil cant get you boarding then no one can.
Is ben there? he's the new director and top lad.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
well done !!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Smokin Joe wrote:
Last night's alcohol not worn off then ? Wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jerry, Laughing Laughing
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
thefatcontroller, You're out in the mountains while we are going back to work tomorrow. Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green F*ck off and leave us alone. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Actually I hope you have a great time. Madeye-Smiley Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
What a great wedding anniversary, well done FC.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
geepee, I feel very motivated by your comments wink Laughing

Late, in lots of pain, instructor has just dropped into bar below for drink, have told bar staff to get him pissed in hope he goes easy tomorrow. He has Scottish glint in his eye, don't think easy is a word in his vocabulary
Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad . More tomorrow, if alive Skullie
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Late, in lots of pain,

Wait till you try to get out of bed in the morning. And the next morning will be worse. And as for the one after that..... Twisted Evil Don't give up - well done, sounds like you hit lucky with your instructor. snowHead

Does he do videos?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w, is right the pain of the first week is horrible.

Dam you for being in the mountains already i have to wait till friday Sad However congrats for coming over to the boarders side. Its way more fun Smile
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

the pain of the first week is horrible.

except for the boots. Little Angel
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Jerry wrote:
Smokin Joe wrote:
Last night's alcohol not worn off then ? Wink

I was celebrating Barnsley massive away victory then realised it had been abandoned and worthless NehNeh
ski holidays
thefatcontroller,

Well done... You get quicker to the fun part on the dark side than you don on skis so stick at it and you'll have a great time V V soon..
Very Happy
snow report
thefatcontroller, well done man. Thumbs up.

Your thumbs being the only part of you that you'll be able to move without wincing this time tomorrow.
ski holidays
Thanks for support, we both felt like we had been put inside a tumble dryer with a plank of wood attached yesterday. Skullie

Day 2 dawned, it dawned very slowly for mrsfatcontroller as she need help to even get out of bed. Met Neil at 9.30am and spent the first 30 minutes just trying to remember what we had down yesterday. Heel, toe, falling leaf, lean, balls of feet. head was spinning.

On the bright side the slopes were covered in powder so falling was not so bad but the good news is that there was less falling. By the end of our 3 hours today we were doing turns and I even had a go at reverse turns (very weird sensation).

Had a nice lunch and decided to go back out and practice, much better than yesterday where we were to exhausted after lunch to go back out. Oh and have I mentioned the powder, it was quick to see why many claim boarding on powder is easier than with skis.

Got another 3 hours with Neil tomorrow. Actually looking forward to it. The dark side rocks. Cool
snow conditions
thefatcontroller, excellent !! it is a bit easier with a few inches of snow rather than hardpack, both for turning and falling Very Happy
latest report
thefatcontroller, excellent work!!
ski holidays
thefatcontroller, get him to show you some weird dolphin style turn, I couldnt get it right.
snow report
well done thefatcontroller, i know the boards aren't going to make an appearance on e-bay, by the end of the week i reckon it'll be the planks. snowHead . welcome to the dark side.
ski holidays
Jonny luv plums, I told Neil he had a stalker called Jonny luv plums never seen a man look so scared in all his life wink Laughing .
snow report
thefatcontroller, hahaha awesomez
good you're liking the boarding though.
snow conditions
Quote:

Had a nice lunch and decided to go back out and practice

impressive. Very impressive. Cool
snow conditions
thefatcontroller, Brilliant. That's it. Meeting you in LA Jan and we can board together.You know it makes sense. Look forward tomorrow's update Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Mouth, I'm not pulling you along all the flat bit's in LA unless I get a beer Toofy Grin wink
snow report
thefatcontroller wrote:
...Actually looking forward to it. The dark side rocks. Cool...

now you geddit! Laughing

v glad you're still enjoying it. the new snow must be absolutely AWESOME DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE! wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Boredsurfing wrote:
Mouth, I'm not pulling you along all the flat bit's in LA unless I get a beer Toofy Grin wink

Goes without saying darling!
latest report
Day 3 dawned, actually dawned about 3am with both of us awake in pain. Got back to sleep eventually but what pain. Once again wife could only get out of bed with help and after a soak in a warm bath her muscles stopped seizing.

Met Neil at 9am and did 2 runs on the beginners area and then he said let go up and do a proper run Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked . We did Palafour twice (bit of sliding, some falling but also some turns. Very strange boarding on a busyish slope, you realise how poor the peripheral vision of a boarder is compared to a skier. Skiers take note. After lunch we were to exhausted to continue but been an amazing Confused experience and I think we will have a few more lesson in Les Arcs when we go in 4 weeks.

Summary of learning to snowboard, it hurts, learning to ski is a piece of p*ss compared to it and all skiers should try it but I think you need to give it 5 days. I can see hope but I can see a few more big wipe outs before we get there.
ski holidays
thefatcontroller,

wipe outs are defo more painful than on skis.

Stick at it a bit more. Compared to skiing you'll quite quickly get to a level where you feel in control enough and have fun..
snow conditions
Great diary thefatcontroller, thanks for sharing your exploits. Valuable information. I've only boarded one day - couldn't face the second and third days of pain that are apparently required!
ski holidays
thefatcontroller, well done ! I remember my first three days and I could not take my jumper off because my arms were not working and I could not move my legs in the pub when sitting down !! but i loved it ! interesting to hear your views on periphal vision and busy slopes etc.
snow conditions
thefatcontroller, great report on your experiences. also glad to hear you're intending to continue. good luck, and remember, ibuprofen is your friend. <-unless you're allergic, then i guess it's diclofinac(sp?)?
snow conditions
That's the hard bit done FC and the break between slope time will let you digest what you have learnt.

Its worth getting the McNab video and book too, it breaks things down well and puts some explanation into 'the whys and wherefores' and takes you onto more advanced turns and techniques.

Your skiing will have given you the confidence to get your weight really far forward and your legs very bent and this is really the hardest thing for most to learn. It should fall very nicely into place next time you are on the hill.
snow conditions
Quote:

fall very nicely

I think they have learnt that bit Twisted Evil
latest report
thefatcontroller, keep it up - you won't regret it. Your first runs in the powder will pay for all the pain suffered several times over.
snow report
thefatcontroller wrote:
you realise how poor the peripheral vision of a boarder is compared to a skier. Skiers take note.

We were chatting about this at Hemel the other day on one of Rob and Scott's doohickeys. I don't think a snowboarder's blind spots are worse than a skiers, nor that snowboarders have them and skiers magically don't. It's just that the geometry of the respective blind spots are different.

Or maybe you were staring intently at the nose of your board, rather than looking where you were going, amirite? Smile
latest report
Glad I popped in now snowHead
latest report
Shimmy Alcott, when did you say you were doing your board-in-a-day course again?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy