Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Touring Bindings

Poster: A snowHead
I need to buy a set of touring bindings to put on some Movement Thunders. I have only used Fritschi before, but cannot remember which type. can anyone tell me the relative merits of the different types in their range??
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://www.wildsnow.com/backcountry-ski-museum/fritschi-freeride-plus/fritschi-freeride-plus.html

I've got dem dere freeride plusses from fritschi on a pair of movement gladiators, reckon these on a pair of thunders would be a sweet set up. the plusses are supposed to be their most downhill oriented "freeride" models. I find them just fine, there are newer more downhill oriented touring bindings from marker, but the freeride plusses do the job just fine - I'm a heavy guy and like to descend at speed, and they're more than enough. Maybe a bit pricey - think i paid the guts of 200 big uns a couple of year ago?

If you like fritschi then you cant go wrong. That said, there is plenty of choice out there these days
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://www.wildsnow.com/articles/fritschi_binding_faq/fritschi-bindings-index.html

Plenty of other info re the other touring binding makes on that site too.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
barry, great minds think alike wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jerryh, If this is a set up for serious touring you should also look at Dynafit bindings. So much lighter, and I much prefer the direct contact with the ski that you get downhill, as opposed to the 'elevated' boot position of Fritschis. But you will need Dynafit compatible boots! I use Garmont Radium which are the most comfortable boots I have ever had.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
This might be useful for touring freaks: Do correct me if any figures seem wrong, I think they are correct. If you give me more weights I can add them in.

SKIS ___________________________ Kg pair
ALTIRAIL VERTICAL.................. 176 2.64
DYNASTAR ALITRAIL POWDER.....178 2.80
DYNAFIT 7 SUMMIT....................170 2.84
DYNAFIT 7 SUMMIT.....................178 3.18
BLACK DIAMOND GURU...............178 3.20
FISCHER WATEA.........................174 3.44
ATOMIC NOMAD..........................176 3.55
DYNASTAR LEGEND 8000.............184 3.55
DYNASTAR MYTHIC RIDERS.................3.56?
MOVEMENT THUNDER..................176 3.70

BINDINGS_____________________Kg pair
DYNAFIT TLT SPEED no brakes........0.67
DYNAFIT VERTICAL inc brakes........1.06
DIAMIR EXPLORE w/o brakes..........1.64
DIAMIR EXPERIENCE w/o brakes.....1.72
DIAMIR FREERIDE inc brakes..........1.98

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 19-05-09 20:15; edited 3 times in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'd get the boots sorted first...assume you have.

You need boots that will be man enough to transfer in the skis... so what is light and comfortable uphill might compromise you downhill...

I use Endos and I would like them a tad stiffer to transfer into Dukes and Gladiators... but since all these parts are relatively new...I am struggling to get used to all them at once...almost.
I have defo lost some stuff on a piste....not that I am too worried about skiing there, but I still don't want to look like a sking dork.... but where to start looking, I am not sure..

I am happy enough with the set-up per item...just not so much convinced collectively...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
dickyb, I've got Dyna Mythic Riders and Fritschi Freeride plus. It says the Skis are 3.56 kg's http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Gear/Dynastar-Legend-Mythic-Rider and the bindings are 2kg's but I weighed them this morning and the total was over 6kg's.... Not sure if they weigh against short lengths but the offical weights seem to be a bit sketchy to me?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm after a cheap pair of 'starter' touring bindings to fit up to my old 1080's. I'm by no means a touring regular but fancy starting to get some kit together. Secretly I'm hoping for a snowy winter for a bit of local touring in Shropshire!

Ideally I'd like DIN adjustable ones with ski brakes for Alpine boots - Any suggestions? Secondhand would fine.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
david@mediacopy, keep an eye out for some cheap fritschis on ebay. not the latest and greatest, but perfect to slap on some old skis to see how you like the touring thing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
JT, ... And always good to make sure you switch them back to ski mode after a walk! How many times have I forgotten and started to wonder why my skiing was getting sloppy. Although I reckon that with right technique you can ski in any old boots, even if you wont win World Cups.
bobinch - I put them into the list with a ?. If the bindings are 2Kg that would make the skis over 4 kg - that sounds much too heavy - what length? What did you weigh them with? I have one of those neat little handheld digital luggage scales, handy for checking rucksack weight as well. Supposed to be accurate to 100g .

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Tue 19-05-09 20:10; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
dickyb, I don't generally like or use walk mode.... but yes, that is another thing to check... and have been caught out like that...which is why I don't like to change or use it Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
bobinch wrote:
dickyb, I've got Dyna Mythic Riders and Fritschi Freeride plus. It says the Skis are 3.56 kg's http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Gear/Dynastar-Legend-Mythic-Rider and the bindings are 2kg's but I weighed them this morning and the total was over 6kg's.... Not sure if they weigh against short lengths but the offical weights seem to be a bit sketchy to me?

178cm, weighed on my digital scale.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
same as that JT, i use crispi diablo freeride booties for touring, and while they are pretty stiff and powerful for the downhill, they are really comfy (to me at least, my regular downhill boots are pretty tight and stiff though), and i dont use the walk mode at all, so no chance of forgetting to switch!!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
davidof, Sounds odd, cant believe the skis are over 4 kg. Have you checked your scales?
latest report
Pretty sure my scales are accurate as they are fancy electronic ones that measure all sorts of things. My Mythics are 184cm, last years model (same as the picture on the pistehors link). If the bindings with brakes are 2kg's that would put the 184 MR's at 4.1kg!!!
ski holidays
bobinch wrote:
Pretty sure my scales are accurate as they are fancy electronic ones that measure all sorts of things. My Mythics are 184cm, last years model (same as the picture on the pistehors link). If the bindings with brakes are 2kg's that would put the 184 MR's at 4.1kg!!!

well you've got around 50 grammes of screws, there is also some variation between skis. So your extra 6cm is around 450g, which is 225g per ski. I would have expected more like 150g extra per ski but it is in the ballpark.
ski holidays
what's a couple of kilos unless your racing or whatever, I always find disscussions on weight a bit strange, sure I wouldnt tour on a pair of GS racers like but the majority of skis folk would think of using wont be that heavy. Although maybe it doesnt matter to me as I'm hauling over 100kg of myself anyways (without any gear) rolling eyes
snow conditions
No way would I put touring bindings on mythics, they are pretty heavy skis. Weight is a big issue touring since it is knackering at the best of times especially at altitude. Weight on your feet/legs is particularly critical making weight of ski/brinding/boots very important.
ski holidays
uh oh - i had better take my dukes off my XXLs then Shocked
latest report
Arno wrote:
uh oh - i had better take my dukes off my XXLs then Shocked

Toofy Grin exactly - I think this whole "too much weight" thing is nonsense and down to personal preference and choice. Fair enough if you're doing hut-to-hut multi-day "purist" trips, but I would say that most of us would be doing day tours? Therefore weight shouldnt be that big a deal - up to a point of course! My set-up aint ultra light - nor is it all that heavy either - point being I didnt pay much if any attention to weight. For the original poster - any AT setup on a set of Thunders will be top notch. Thunders are kinda stiff though though you might want biggish booties to get the most outta them (oops there goes the light weight gear theory again!)
latest report
Weight will have an impact on your m/h, as long as you adapt your programme to your capabilities then I don't see an issue.
latest report
barry wrote:
I think this whole "too much weight" thing is nonsense and down to personal preference and choice. Fair enough if you're doing hut-to-hut multi-day "purist" trips, but I would say that most of us would be doing day tours? Therefore weight shouldnt be that big a deal

You obviously have never had your @rse handed to you by someone in your group touring on dynafits.
Apparently 1kg weight extra on the foot is equivalent to 5kg extra in the pack (which is significant!)
Almost all guides and serious alpine skiers etc in the alps are now using dynafits for this reason.
Even on very steep and gnarly terrain.

Dynafits are lighter than all other bindings, just as secure as dukes & also cheaper.
Plus the stack height is alot smaller and your boot is flat on the ski.
Not really much of a debate if your buying a new touring binder?

And no - I dont own a pair... But if I was doing another season then I would certainly buy a set (to mount on some Coomba's or next seasons Coombak).

Doug.
latest report
G3 Ace: year 08/09; length 177cm; nominal width 116-81-104mm, straight out of the box as measured with some commercial postal scales and vernier calipers:

Left: 1.570kg (115.8-81.0-103.8)
Right: 1.584kg (115.7-81.0-103.8)
Total: 3.154kg

...a whole 200g more than the advertised 2.95kg!

Loads more here:
http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76416
ski holidays
i would go for the lower distance from the top of the ski that the dynafits give right enough, but that's only a minor gripe of mine for the fritschis really - and actually quite like that height on some of the firmer stuff we get round these parts - I think it makes it easer to get the glads over on their edges. I tend to do solo missions so may well be pretty slow againts other folk (not that that would bother me neither!), and just dont notice it!
Maybe when I shed 20kgs and get my fatass fit then I'll care about a couple of extra kgs Laughing but until then it just dont bother me

good huntin anyways, hope you get a good deal and setup you like
ski holidays
Haggis_Trap, With you all the way. Barry - some of us do multi day tours. Try 4-5 hours skinning with 8kg backpack in blazing sun for a couple of days. Every gramme becomes a kilogram. Yes most guiides use Dynafits i wonder why. And nice light skis, no brakes (useless weight). Its just so they can slyly smirk when we collapse in a puddle of sweat at the top of the boot climb. rolling eyes

Barry -at 100 kg you must be a big strong b..d so you can heave it up for me! xxx
snow report
I've been doing a lot of research in this area recently - that is good day tourers for a great ski down. The Movement Couloir will be my ski next year - similar to the Thunder but a little softer and quite a bit lighter (no beech rail) in this category and although a bit of a cliche these days, the Scott Missions are right up there as well. Both 3.3kg or thereabouts at 177/178cm. The Coomba is also excellent for weight but you do suffer a bit with the width breaking trail or following tracks or on anything icy, which has caused me to drop both these and my sublime Zag 74's as I'm skirting too many crevasses wishing I had some more edge!

Some twintips are excellent on paper for weight but can't say I've tried them as I assume the experience will be much the same as the Coombas, that is, great if you're strong but a little more of a compromise if you're only 68kg!

Wait for Diamir Eagle as its fixings are wider than the Freerides and Explores and is therefore, not only more rigid but much better to todays wider skis. In fact they are also lighter, safer and stiffer and out next year for around the same price. Only drawback is they are green...

Hope this helps.
snow conditions
it aint easy bein green.....

the Eagles sound interesting
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
22 dropout, Check out Dynastar Altitrail Powder. 2.8 kg .
snow report
Heavy or light?? Diamir / Duke or Dynafit??

It all comes to questions of the weight and power ratio that you wish to achieve. So naturally slack country trips, a Duke with an alpine trype boot will be adequate with a grunty ski, a ten day trip and slog would see a Dynafit binding on Touring specific ski at the other end... and other stuff falls in the middle.

From my experiences I have seen less Diamir Freerides blow up than Naxo, and would only put the Duke/Baron in with an alpine sole boot due to the release of the binding not wanting a rockered touring boot sole in there.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy