Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

We Bought Boards and Boots!

Poster: A snowHead
Just popping in for 5 to see if the summer bitching and fighting had commenced and glad to see it has rolling eyes Laughing . More importantly me and mrsfatcontroller have taken the plunge and gone and bought boards and boots in end of season sales. Always wanted to learn to board but when we went in March it was going to be about £100 each to rent for the week and that was dead money. Now we own a place and can leave gear over there it is worth our while buying instead of renting and that makes learning to board much more affordable.

Please don't ask me what type etc mrsfatcontroller did all the buying. Will try and get some taster lessons in one of the indoor snow places here before we go next January as we don't want to be a complete beginner in resort.

No more jokes about sitting in the middle of slopes from me Laughing See y'all soon.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

we don't want to be a complete beginner in resort.

congratulations! But whyever not. It's quite a laugh, falling round on the nursery slope with 16 year olds on day 1 - and falling round on the nursery slope on day 2 by which time they're linking turns down red runs. wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thefatcontroller, Probably best to revert to your original username now you have bought a tray. Laughing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
thefatcontroller wrote:
No more jokes about sitting in the middle of slopes from me Laughing

Well, yes, fair enough.. but please don't tell me you're expecting the same level of restraint from us...? Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Schuss in Boots, Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Schuss in Boots wrote:
thefatcontroller wrote:
No more jokes about sitting in the middle of slopes from me Laughing

Well, yes, fair enough.. but please don't tell me you're expecting the same level of restraint from us...? Toofy Grin

No worries, its ok I'll still have my skis and I know some really easy black runs I could take you on. They are really easy honest Twisted Evil Twisted Evil (I only have to think of that day and I end up in a happy, weird funny place) Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Boredsurfing wrote:
thefatcontroller, Probably best to revert to your original username now you have bought a tray. Laughing

Jesus you have a memory and a disturbing understanding of the Welsh language Shocked Laughing
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thefatcontroller, Toofy Grin Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hey there mr (& mrs) fatcontroller. welcome to the world of going sideways.

just one piece of advice - stick with it for a few days. when you start off it will hurt. you'll fall a fair bit and will feel totally freaked out by having your feet 'tied together". it does all come together and on day one or two it'll make a bit of sense and then somewhere round day three it will click and you'll be tearing round the place.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
thefatcontroller, Laughing I guess it will easier to walk to your apparment rather than skate or pole there on ski's
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w, Sorry forgot to answer your point. Just want to do some very basic stuff here. Don't do groups so would aim to do 2 or so private lesson in resort and then fall about in the afternnon while the kids laugh thier socks of at how useless we are and how damn good they are Crying or Very sad

rogg, Thanks. The pain, yes we have no expectation other than pain in learning

Boredsurfing, No poling or walking for us, you just have to know your routes back home, I leave the walking to the tourists from the other side wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
thefatcontroller wrote:
No worries, its ok I'll still have my skis and I know some really easy black runs I could take you on. They are really easy honest Twisted Evil Twisted Evil (I only have to think of that day and I end up in a happy, weird funny place) Laughing

Hmmmm... I think of that day and I end up in a happy, weird, ever so slightly psychotic place.... Skullie Laughing Laughing

(although memories of mrsfatcontroller overtaking me at high speed - head first - still has the power to make me laugh out loud in public....) Laughing Laughing

I'd love to say we must do it again sometime... but we really, really, mustn't... Shocked
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
thefatcontroller,

Well done to the two of you! snowHead

Don't forget helmets and wrists guards! Toofy Grin wink

And when you have practised a bit you'll be able to enter into the dark side's great debates like "Flow or no Flow"! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Boredsurfing wrote:
Wasn't it Gaylord? Laughing

Are you going out to 2000 in the summer Fatty?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
thefatcontroller, did you actually buy the stuff without ever having stapped a board on your feet? If you did, maybe not as daft as I was - I did a "learn to snowboard in a day" (ha ha) course at MK and still bought gear despite having been practically unable to move for a week afterwards.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
thefatcontroller, did you actually buy the stuff without ever having stapped a board on your feet?

Ahem, cough, slutter Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, Spot on Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Kruisler wrote:
A great debates like "Flow or no Flow"! Toofy Grin

I can join already but no idea what it means. She bought me flow bindings but not for herself. Has she already knobbled my snowboarding career by buying me the wrong bindings Sad Laughing
snow report
yes. or no. depending on who you listen to.
ski holidays
Quote:

Has she already knobbled my snowboarding career by buying me the wrong bindings

No. When I bought mine (knocking on the door of my old age pension as I was) the lad in the shop told me they weren't too good for rails. I promised him that when I really got going on rails I'd go back and change them...

I can say with some confidence that Flow bindings are ideal for elderly beginners. Laughing
ski holidays
thefatcontroller, yes she has knobbled you wink She wants you to look like a beginner whilst she is sporting the latest design Laughing
snow report
The problems with flow bindings are numerous BUT recently flow have been getting better and better. The main issue usually comes from response, because they are not very stiff, they can be very annoying for the more advanced rider, the boy in the shop who said they were rubbish on rails is talking out his preverbial, they are actually really good for rails because a softer binding allows for more flex in the board when balancing on a rail which in turn, helps the board stay on the rail. Flows are terrible for hard carving. They are terrible for getting on and off on a slope because of the rear entry only system. What they are fantastic at is saving the knees of the mature snowboarder by being more forgiving. Don't be disheartened, by buying you flows, she has inadvertantly prolongued your snowboarding career by protecting your knees and hips for longer. Next time you buy bindings, look at the salomon range, they have a relatively new system which allows for maximum comfort and flex without the responsiveness suffering.
Hope this helps.
snow conditions
Quote:

They are terrible for getting on and off on a slope because of the rear entry only system.

Sorry, I'm only an elderly beginner but I couldn't disagree more. I bought my Flows precisely because having struggled at MK with the wretched ratchets I couldn't be doing with it. I stand facing up the hill, stick my feet in the bindings, and do up the back. Where's the problem? I also prefer to ride up a button lift with my back foot strapped in, and it's the work of a moment to scoot up to the button, then flick the back up.
latest report
Bigpantsjayke, pam w,

please no!!!

My mention of flows was a joke!

please please please, I am sorry...don't make everyone pay for my recklessness!
snow conditions
pam w, they should bring out a Flow Saga range Twisted Evil

(only joking Pam Laughing )
snow report
Kruisler, too late ....
snow report
thefatcontroller, blimey good move. As I am planning on being in Paradiski for the season (minus 3 weeks in Canada) perhaps I can pop over and give you some tips especially if you have flow bindings.... good decision and like your thinking
ski holidays
Mouth, OMG are you doing a season as in a whole season not just the 5 weeks spread? I am even more jealous now
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DebbiDoesSnow wrote:
Mouth, OMG are you doing a season as in a whole season not just the 5 weeks spread? I am even more jealous now

That IS the plan although need to sort and finalise with work but yes in theory from 21st Dec until April 30th we will be playing in the white stuff every day..... Toofy Grin
snow report
Mouth, so many other words going through my mind right now but LUCKY MOO will do for a family forum Little Angel
ski holidays
Mouth, Thanks for offer, speak nearer the time.

Have just tried my boots and board on together, sadly no snow but a bedroom carpet. Feels strange compared to skis. Time now to pack them away until maybe a visit to a snowzone in November. Cool
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
I can say with some confidence that Flow bindings are ideal for elderly beginners. Laughing

Mmmmm thanks, no need to get quite so personal wink Laughing
ski holidays
Whilst you are abeginner you won't have many issues because of the gradient of slope, wait till you get a steep one or get lost in powder and need to strap in, then you will see my point. I've tested flows every year. You can't get into flows whilst sitting down without much awkwardness, I know this from experience.
I hope you enjoy your new gear and have as much fun as I have over the years.
snow report
thefatcontroller, strap your feet in, sit on your bum, then practice getting up onto your feet onto the back edge of the board. If that's too difficult you can put a small cushion under bum to simulate being on a gentle hill. Then try getting onto your feet, on the front edge of the board, from a kneeling position. Then ponder why Bigpantsjayke says that the rear entry Flow bindings are harder to get into.

Actually, that getting onto your feet from sitting is really good for identifying which muscles you need to work on - though part of it is knack (a knack I haven't acquired as I tend to use the lazy way out and get up onto my front edge, facing up hill).
snow conditions
Kruisler, its all your fault Laughing

pam w, What you are describing sounds disturbingly like exercise and preparation Shocked I'll stay out of the Flow fight until we try them on the real stuff. I have flow and she doesn't so we shall be able to compare
ski holidays
thefatcontroller, see you at Hemel on June 6th on your tray Puzzled
snow conditions
Boredsurfing wrote:

A possibility.. Can you point me in the right direction, will there be lessons for 2 people who only know how to put a tray on?
latest report
thefatcontroller wrote:
Boredsurfing wrote:

A possibility.. Can you point me in the right direction, will there be lessons for 2 people who only know how to put a tray on?

so many punch lines so little time Toofy Grin Laughing
snow report
Boredsurfing wrote:
thefatcontroller wrote:
Boredsurfing wrote:

so many punch lines so little time Toofy Grin Laughing

Try one as I don't seem to get any. However you are down the West Country where you are all one big happy family (some say literally) Toofy Grin so maybe you see jokes different to us?
snow report
thefatcontroller, and Boredsurfing, can't believe you guys arre hanging around the "Snowboarding" forum
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy