Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ischgl,St Anton or Lech

Poster: A snowHead
Once again I am charged with organising the 'Lads/Dads' 4 nighter next March 21st - 25th and would appreciate a few tips from the snowHead community.

I past years we have been to Chamonix (Great skiing ,Ok nightlife, but too disjointed,needed a car)

Meribel,(Great skiing for mixed ability group but nightlife a tad downmarket and way too many brits)

Verbier 3 times (Almost the perfect resort for us, something for everyone, cosmopolitain, great skiing, good food, great Apres ski esp the rock bar in front of the Farinet,it pretty much ticks all the boxes for the group as a whole)

Next season we fancy a change of scenery/country and have shortlisted Ischgl,Stanton and Lech as we can get Sleazy flights to Innsbruck.We will be going Sun -Thurs and it will be the first time in Austria for many years.

Having done a little research myself which resort do you reckon and why ?

I am thinking Hotel based as this seems to be more the Austrian experience?Is this feasible for 4 nts(I know St Anton can be difficult for short breaks)

I think all three resorts would pretty much fit the bill from a skiing POV,but which resort is better from an Apres POV?

Our Apres would typically be a couple of relaxed beers on the home run.

Ditch the skis etc, A couple more beers sat preferably in the sun admiring the views wink

A couple of hours dancing on the tables to loud rock music whilst consuming way too much beer and admiring the views wink

Nip back to accomadation quick SH,SH,SH, then back out for relaxed meal around 9pm whilst consuming copious amounts of wine followed by a couple of VRB,s in the nearest bar(for stamina)

Approx 1130pm onto the local club where we proceed to go of like a bunch of firecrackers till the last man is standing, or until you can slope off without being noticed. Toofy Grin

Repeat until broken.

I digress.

I am leaning towards Ischgl myself based purely on gut feeling but if snowHead wish to give me their own experiences good or bad it may help me make the right choice for the group.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Based on your description of Apres I would say it sounds like our trip to St Anton. Supertravel do 4 night breaks Sun- Thursday in one of their chalets - they were bloody good.

Apres is the best I have ever experienced.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nadenoodlee, Having just re read my post it makes us sound like a right bunch of hooligans Shocked We are quite a nice bunch of Chaps really wink Thanks for the headsup on Supertravel.I will check them out.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Can't comment on Ischgl (can't even pronounce it), but I think you'll prefer the apres in St Anton to that in Lech. St Anton is not upmarket by any stretch, although it has some decent restos. Were you to go out every night, get pissed and throw up, you would not be out of place in StA; such behaviour is not compulsory (none of my family did it, for example) and its perpetrators generally easily avoided, but it's not uncommon (at half term, anyway). There are loads of restaurants to suit all pockets (including some very good ones), plenty of bars and (I am advised) good clubs open 'til the wee hours.

It's a while since I stayed in Lech, although I've skied there more recently. My recollection is that it's distinctly posher, as well as smaller than, StA, with less choice of everything (except up market venues, probably) and, on average, its more expensive. It is considerably more charming than StA, which is one of the more charmless ski resorts I've visited, but there's less going on. StA gives easier access to the more interesting skiing, I think, although there's nothing at all wrong with Lech from that POV.

I would expect (based on no evidence whatsoever) that you'll be fine for a B&B pension type spot in StA for 4 nights as long as you're not there during a busy week.

I've just noticed that you found Meribel nightlife a bit downmarket. I haven't stayed there for a long time, but on that basis you might find StA nightlife a bit downmarket, and from what I've read of Ischgl, that's not exactly sophistication central either. Perhaps Lech is the place after all.

Not very helpful, I'm afraid.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ischgl is - by all accounts - fantastic. Our `lads` group (for which read middle aged/geriatric gentlemen) have been trying to get there for years. The problem we have had has been accommodation. Getting 4 nights has proved all but impossible. Most places will only book for a week (probably not helped by the fact that we are a large group - @ 20). We usually go late January - so perhaps things would be better in March. On the one occasion we did get accommodation it was through the resort website. Unfortunately, the hotel in question was quite a long way out of town whcih would have made our evening hands and knees crawl back home difficult. In the end, we have opted for Kitz. Let me know how the hunt for accommodation goes (assuming you choose Ischgl).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
richmond, maybe downmarket was a bit of a disservice to Meribel.I personally found it too orientated towards the Brits, a couple of v.good live bands though and some nice restos.Very pricey too.Verbier this season was positively good value when compared to Meribels prices Shocked
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jonty, Yes accomadation within 'hands and knees crawl back home' is paramount. wink One year in Verbier on the 'first night' one of the group got so lost trying to find his way back to the accomadation that he ended up asking at the police station.He could just about remember the name of the chalet 'La Duire'.When you have had a few shandies 'La Duuuiiiirrre' doesnt help matters as you can imagine.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
For a lads break I'd drop Lech from the list and replace it with Sölden.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
not Lech, but Ischgl or St Anton should suit your needs perfectly. There's even great skiing at both (all 3 in fact) if you manage to make it out on the slopes Smile
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
hedley, St Anton for sure. Ischgl not sure as I've not been. Lech - good for family or taking Mrs, not for a boys trip. Have been going to St Anton since 2003, staying there 5/6 times plus a couple of times in Oberlech and a few months ago in Stuben.
As you know already and other posters have commented on getting anything other than 7 nights Sat to Sat is very difficult. You could try this hotel as it does look good, right in middle of town (2 mins to gondola) and from looking at previously they do offer non 7 day breaks http://www.hotelmontana.at/en/?PHPSESSID=86f321f516153383cffd79054418b3ec
One of the boys that regularly comes to St Anton with us went to Ischgl earlier this year. He really liked it but still thinks St Anton has the edge on things overall. Think Ischgl is more expensive and my neighbours boss who was there last year was put off by the number of Russian mafia types - but think his holiday coincided with the Russian new year, as it's something that I'm not overly aware of.
Just type in Mooserwirt to youtube and see what the apres is like - beats anything I've experienced in France (Val d'Isere, Morzine and La Plagne) hands down. Anything but catering for the Brits - German apres cheese - effing magic after a few beers Shocked . Also some cracking live music too - Gunar at the Picadilly.
St Anton probably easiest to get to from Innsbruck at an hour plus direct train. I would base myself in St Anton for the nightlife and you can always ski Lech anyway, rather than do it in reverse. Lech is very much hotel orientated apres ski and is OK but quite reserved
Good luck with your search
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've not been to St Anton but I have been to Ischgl. Not sure if any of the recommendations for St A above have come from people who've been to both? The ski area in Ischgl is awesome, you will count the number of Brits you will see on one hand, the resort is very attractive and from I saw and was told has a great nightlife (we were staying well out of town - with a school group). I would love to go back to Ischgl when not working and stay in the resort.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hedley wrote:
richmond, maybe downmarket was a bit of a disservice to Meribel.I personally found it too orientated towards the Brits, a couple of v.good live bands though and some nice restos.Very pricey too.Verbier this season was positively good value when compared to Meribels prices Shocked

You should find Austria a good deal cheaper than Meribel (haven't been there since the £'s slump, but Tignes was a bit nasty). StA is certainly not upmarket, but has enough choice to satisfy most people It's not as Brit oriented as Meribel (where is? Cheltenham is less British than Meribel), but there are a lot of Brits there, holidaying and working, and they are well catered for. You're not going to get an echt Austrian experience, but the chances of that in a ski resort are zero anyway.

I can't imagine that you won't have a great time in StA.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Wed 6-05-09 23:00; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
hedley, Laughing Perfect trip! good advice above, Lech Apres is uber-riche Germans going through the conspicuous consumption thing into the two ice bars and the one club is not exactly the Farinet!

St Anton gives you Lech/Zurs on the same lift pass and an easy bus ride between the two. Can't comment yet on Ischgl, I'm going next year...

You will love Austria Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
St Anton all day long for a lads trip. Ischgl nightlife is great if you like an endless German/Europop Birdie Song type thing, with everyone doing the actions. Not for me I'm afraid.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Meribel,(Great skiing for mixed ability group but nightlife a tad downmarket and way too many brits)

St. Anton........Way too many Brits. I've been to all three. Lech, lovely though it is, you'll probably find too tame. Ischgl for me every time. Better put my helmet on now but I found St. Anton's apres a little undercooked. However, accommodation for less than a week could be a problem.
latest report
I don't know how important your rock music really is, but I can't think of a rock bar in Ischgl.
latest report
SteveKirby wrote:
St Anton all day long for a lads trip. Ischgl nightlife is great if you like an endless German/Europop Birdie Song type thing, with everyone doing the actions. Not for me I'm afraid.

I agree there's only a certain ammount of endless German/Europop Birdie Song type thing a man can take though isnt there wink

Most of the great Apres bands I have seen have been European but tend to be really good cover bands.Generally any song that involves audience participation and being able to sing along at the top of your voice fits the bill.Its surprising how good Europe 'The Final Countdown' sounds when you've had a few shandies. Toofy Grin

I think its a straight fight between Iscghl and St Anton then.
snow report
Sadly a band called The CCJ's are no longer together as they used to rock the Griabli (opposite Mooserwirt) to the rafters. Ideal day of apres ski in St Anton for us starts around 3.30 at Mooserwirt (cheesy apres ski musik) or Krazy Kanguruh (more tradtional good time party music and full of stunning Scando's wink ). Then ski into town - usually dark and reasonably well oiled and great fun Toofy Grin - dump gear off and quickly head off to Picadilly to see live musician called Gunar. He finishes around 8 from memory and the place is jumping. Then go get some food either at hotel or other, then off to Funky Chicken after 9 and stay there till around 11 - again absolutely crammed. If you still have enough energy you can head back to Picadilly for some more live music or go downstairs to the Postkellar club Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
Now these are the sort of people we need more of..... they buy lift tickets, and hence help fund development of lifts and runs, but rarely use same. NehNeh Very Happy NehNeh
latest report
Hedley, Go with St Anton or Ischgl.
fly to Innsbruk or fredderickhaven.
All both can be great apres venues, although I suspect that St Anton is still 'Kaiser'. Having said that Ischgl is also kicking.
Skiing in Ischgl is good intermediate, nothing that will kill anyone, has some off piste territory. St Anton when you conside the off piste options and links to Zurs/Lech is considered one of the worlds greats (although I always fin the pistes in St Anton disappointing, but touring & off piste is superb).
snow report
ulmerhutte, still manage to get first lift up in the morning wink
ski holidays
boabski,

http://www.g12.dk/g12/g12.nsf/00a275e5bafb6d458525647900760437/9f3a4dd4681574d4c1256b7a007ce875/body/0.1B7A!OpenElement&FieldElemFormat=jpg

http://www.g12.dk/g12/g12.nsf/00a275e5bafb6d458525647900760437/9f3a4dd4681574d4c1256b7a007ce875
latest report
DB, Bumped into Chris (? - the younger one) last year and he did actually play in a band one day at the Griabli, but were not a patch on The CCJ's. From what he was telling us he had some demons to put to bed and sort his life out and was planning to get back with Jim (?) and start playing again this year but certainly saw no sign of them this year. Bit of a bummer really as they rocked big style, not to mention that I could drink the best pint in the Alps (Kaiser Bier) whilst watching them Crying or Very sad Now have to 'contend' myself with the Mooserwirt instead Laughing
ski holidays
boabski,

Wasn't on first name terms with them just used to see them at the Griabli. Heard that one of them was having a bad time with health / substance issues. Sorely missed, they really did rock the Griabli "non of that ein, zwei, drei, sheiße music in here". Very Happy
latest report
Not Lech. St Anton but beware beer prices, was a shade under 6 euro in some bars this year, whilst Mayrhofen was about 3.20. Mayrhofen isn't a bad alternative from Innsbruck, apres is good and is noticeably cheaper than St A.
ski holidays
Sorry to but in, may I also ask something about getting to St. Anton?
Has anyone used train from Zurich to St Anton, and is it better to fly to Munich or Zurich.
Thanks
ski holidays
Anyone stayed here? Good or bad?

http://www.flexiski.com/ski-resorts/austria/st-anton/amalien-haus/

Ive just had an offer for 4nights which I know from previous experience can be difficult in St Anton.

Seems well located both for Apres and Lifts.

Which lift is the most convenient to access the main ski areas?
snow report
hedley, flightd from Manchester to Salzburgs (Schladming, Zell am Zee, Saalbach) or Liverpool to Innsbruck (all the other party towns). The world is your lobster.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I haven't stayed there, but it's indeed well situated for the lifts and the fleshpots. The Galzigbahn is the main main lift, IYSWIM, and a very impressive bit of kit it is. It's close to a lift going up the Gampen, which is another way up that side. The Fangbahn (best named lift winner for many years) is probably closest to you as the chough flies, but I don't think gives access to the whole mountain without coming back down to the bottom. The lift going up from Nasserein won't interest you except when you ski down to the bottom of it. A walk and a couple of odd 'lifts', or a short bus, will take you to the Rendlbahn to go up Rendl.
snow conditions
hedley, Why dont you e-mail the tourist offfice and ask about a B&B? They are really nice, good value and leave you the freedom to do your own thing at night. Stayed in a couple in St Anton and they were great! I think you might get 4 nights in March.
latest report
lizski wrote:
Sorry to but in, may I also ask something about getting to St. Anton?
Has anyone used train from Zurich to St Anton, and is it better to fly to Munich or Zurich.
Thanks

Regularly do it - works very well. We fly into Zurich with Sing Air now that Austrian is no longer flying into Australia. Train is about 2 1/2 hours from the HBf. Some trains do run direct from the airport, but they do not match our flight times. I enjoy train travel in Europe, so my opinion ids a little biased.
latest report
Yes, from Zurich train is easy -as is the bus service (Arlberg Express, IIRC).
snow conditions
ulmerhutte, achilles, thanks. We like to travel by train with the kids if possible, and thinking about St. Anton next year March.
Direct flights from Johannesburg with Swiss to Zurich gets in at 06.10 am and might still get an extra day on the slopes if train early enough.
ski holidays
lizski, crikey. Well, you wont' have much jet lag - even so, I am not sure I would be up to a full day's skiing after 11 hours or so on the plane - let alone the rest of the trip. I sleep lousily in the air - the only plane I slept well on was when I could lie down on para seats in a Hercules with ear defenders on!
snow conditions
We've trained from Munich to StA (Munich seems to be cheaper than Zurich for us), and it's fine, although it takes 4 hours or so. You have to go via Munich Hauptbahnhof, which provides a chance to eat or wander around, if you wish.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 10-05-09 21:47; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
lizski wrote:
ulmerhutte, achilles, thanks. We like to travel by train with the kids if possible, and thinking about St. Anton next year March.
Direct flights from Johannesburg with Swiss to Zurich gets in at 06.10 am and might still get an extra day on the slopes if train early enough.

Timetable at http://www.oebb.at/

There is a train (on the current timetable - but they do not seem to change much from year to year) that leaves airport at 7:20am - with 2 changes, ie at the HBf and Feldkirch, and gets to StA at 10:10am.
latest report
richmond wrote:
We've trained from Munich to StA (Munich seems to be cheaper than Zermatt for us),

Yes indeed, the beer is cheaper in Munchen, but I've found the skiing a bit better in Zermatt...
ski holidays
Well spotted, red 27. Why did I say Zermatt? I meant Zurich, of course. I've edited.
latest report
hedley, That chalet looks in a pretty decent position within the village. Looks like a couple of minutes walk to all lifts
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy