Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cloudbursts

Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone help me and please explain what a cloudburst is please?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think its a sudden heavy burst of rain literally as if the cloud above had burst
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dunk, interesting choice of context, is there a reason this should be in BzK?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's when a pregnant goat thinks its pregnant and fills with fluid, when she decides she isn't pregnant the fluid is suddenly released and the term 'cloudburst' is used.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
carving downhill, turn skis across direction of travel to create your cloud, rotate back to starting position to "burst" through the cloud you just made.

personally I find it suprisingly difficult Confused
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
gilo wrote:
carving downhill, turn skis across direction of travel to create your cloud, rotate back to starting position to "burst" through the cloud you just made.

personally I find it suprisingly difficult Confused

I've never heard it called by this name before, but it's an excellent drill.

My peeps from the Fast & Easy camp this summer will remember it as narrow/wide/narrow, where we put a wide track steer in the middle of the turn, then recover. It's very tricky to do this and not affect the turn shape. If making a long turn, if the wide track is executed at the middle of the turn (the apex), what often happen is that the turn shortens and quickly comes to an end. The proper thing to happen is to continue on in the long radius turn with the skis skidding sideways, then straighten the skis back out and finish the turn, all with the shape of the turn unaffected.

When this and other skills in this area get developed it's a big confidence builder for when skiing at speed. Once you get these skills you know you can bleed speed and quickly change direction whenever you want while skiing fast. The runaway train feeling goes away, replaced by a new authentic sense of safety and control.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dunk, carving turn, during phase 0 (instead of transition) turn skis across direction of travel (like a sideslip across the hill facing downhill), then turn skis back to original direction of travel but onto new edges (ie straight into phase 1). Very sporting on GS skis. Or any skis come to think of it! One of the ADC L2 critical drills to demo but I think only to early practice std.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
slikedges, FastMan, gilo, Thanks, it is for ADC L2, just having a practice before course but needed to find out what cloudbursts were.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
slikedges, so you're saying the skid happens during the transition, once the direction change from the old turn has been completed, but before you begin the new turn?

Dunk, it appears slikedges and I are describing the same move, but at a different point in the turn. While my version is a valuable training tool, it apparently is not the one you need for the test. Go with how slikedges is describing it.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
FastMan, yep, while you're describing a movement executed in phase 2 and completed in phase2/3. Seem to be two quite distinct drills. MIne is designed to test rotational skills, balance and fine steering control. I always find it scary and challenging in equal parts.

Dunk,
Quote:

...just having a practice before course ...

Choose your snow wisely!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
FastMan, its a BASI drill and very tough one. finish the turn and twist 45 degrees with tips pointing into the new turn, skid and twist back to around half of the angle you twisted and edge hard into the new turn.

at speed i have seen a few cloudbursts which included poles, gloves and hat..... Toofy Grin

have also seen a variant of this where you twist slightly to the outside of the turn and then back to neutral and edge hard but at slower speeds
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Something like this?

ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
slikedges, The snow will be Hemel's finest next week, for the carving exercises. I will be practising tic tacs, charlestones etc on plastic.
Last week at Hemel I must have looked at bit daft doing most of my skiing on one leg. wink

Thank you everone for your useful and not so useful replies. Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
FastMan, yep, and a startling resemblance to skimottaret's demo of it too! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dunk, hope you're going to be there a weekday am!
ski holidays
slikedges, yes, not too early as the slope gets empty towards noon, or has every time visited so far. Last week was a bit tricky just had to be careful when setting off!!! Very Happy
snow report
FastMan, yes, I remember that one! A little way to go before bursting through any clouds of snow, I fancy!
ski holidays
Do we have any pictures of the goat, though?
ski holidays
FastMan, I've seen those sequence style photos before, they are really useful for showing how something is carried out, perhaps more so than a video where the action can still be missed in the speed of the skier. The photos really break it down well Very Happy
latest report
Dunk, ok though just be careful as after early morning the snow can get a bit soft for a potentially edge catching deal like cloudburst. Also the soft snow will mean you go slower and you'll neeed speeed!
snow report
snowboarders do them bigger and harder Smile

I slammed today doing one, edge left the piste Sad
ski holidays
Megamum, That is the reason Fastman has a lot of video sequenced that are slowed right down - and still frames inserted to view the important bits, and side by side comparisons of techniques etc...
snow report
pam w, Haven't found one yet - sorry!
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
FastMan, yes, I remember that one! A little way to go before bursting through any clouds of snow, I fancy!

Ahhh, just blame it on the late morning glacial slush! wink
ski holidays
Megamum wrote:
FastMan, I've seen those sequence style photos before, they are really useful for showing how something is carried out, perhaps more so than a video where the action can still be missed in the speed of the skier. The photos really break it down well Very Happy

Yes, Megamum, it can be really tough to see things happen in full speed video. That's why in my DVDs I do a lot of slow-mo, freeze frame, and slo-mo'ing back and forth over the move I'm trying to highlight. It's kind of like those pictures with a hidden image in them. You first look at the picture and all you see is a page of clutter, but once you find the hidden image it jumps right out at anytime you look.

Same thing happens with video, or even watching people ski in person. Once you know what you're looking for, it becomes so clear. I was riding up the lift with a student a couple seasons ago. We'd been working on making clean entry turns, getting rid of the tail pushing. My student looked down from our chairlift to observe an instructor skiing below us and asked, "why is he pushing his tails like that?".
snow conditions
FastMan wrote:
Something like this?

Rubbish...... You are clearly stem cristie'ing that turn.... have you not learned to carve yet? Laughing
snow report
Jonny luv plums, snowboarders, is that why snow is always scrapped off
snow report
FastMan, got a montage of the one you were originally thinking of?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
daehwons wrote:
FastMan wrote:
Something like this?

Rubbish...... You are clearly stem cristie'ing that turn.... have you not learned to carve yet? Laughing

Yeah, I know, not my best effort. I was compensating for coming into the move so far in the back seat! Embarassed wink
ski holidays
comprex wrote:
FastMan, got a montage of the one you were originally thinking of?

I'll have a look around, but I don't think so, Comprex.
ski holidays
If you were wondering "why?", here's a link DB put up on the current "race techniques" thread. Ligety doing exactly this drill (although maybe deliberately braking a bit more that would be expected).

http://www.ronlemaster.com/articles/skidding-SR6_TechTalk.pdf
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy