Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hemel's Snow Centre to open on May 6

Poster: A snowHead
The new Snow Centre at Hemel Hempstead has announced that it will open its doors to the public on 6th May 2009. The £23 million snowsports centre has a 160m main slope and a 100m lesson slope. It has Centre of Excellence status, given by the British Association of Snowsport Instructors (BASI), making it the most qualified snow school outside of the Alps.
...See: www.thesnowcentre.com
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The normal schedule of lessons will be available from 15th May. Quite a few snowHeads will be teaching there, at least on a part-time basis.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Like all the others in the UK, the slope is too short.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Errm....

There is at least one other Centre of Excellence:

http://www.chillfactore.com/main/Snow_Activities/Snowboard_Lessons-Prices
http://www.basi.org.uk/venue_info.aspx?vid=127
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Like all the others in the UK, the slope is too short

These centres are developed to prepare you for the real thing and not to replace. To perfect technique i'm sure most users will find it adequate
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Quite a few snowHeads will be teaching there

Will I be able to learn inner tip lead Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Looks great. Shame Hemel Hempstead is so flipping far away...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
queen bodecia, It's only down the M1 Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Boredsurfing, about two hours away and £30 worth of petrol. Makes for a long and expensive day out. But maybe one day in the summer...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
queen bodecia, I suspect that there are some reasonable priced hotels in the area, hopefully the slopes owners will negociate some overnight packages with the hotels, who should be glad of the extra bar takings Laughing

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 31-03-09 18:17; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Stuff that, I have a sister in Waltham Abbey. I can always kip on her sofa...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Boredsurfing wrote:
Quote:

Yes, but not excessive ITL Wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
queen bodecia wrote:
Looks great. Shame Hemel Hempstead is so flipping far away...

18 minutes for me Toofy Grin Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Spyderman, guess you're torn between Hemel & MK Wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Butterfly, skimotteret has a 'I love MK' badge especially for me. Laughing
latest report
Boredsurfing wrote:
Quote:

LMAO Laughing
snow conditions
altis wrote:
Errm....

There is at least one other Centre of Excellence:

http://www.chillfactore.com/main/Snow_Activities/Snowboard_Lessons-Prices
http://www.basi.org.uk/venue_info.aspx?vid=127

manchester based by any chance Toofy Grin

it doesn't say only centre of excellence, but they do have a higher number of higher qualified instructors than any other outside the alps
ski holidays
Spyderman wrote:
Butterfly, skimotteret has a 'I love MK' badge especially for me. Laughing

So you'll be wearing that prominently when at Hemel then Toofy Grin

On a serious note I do hope the initial lesson/taster sessions won't be like one adult group I witnessed - the very 1st activity was walking part way up a slope then skiing down it, quite out of control on one leg with just one ski on Shocked. They spent far more time on the deck than anywhere else, canoning into anyone/anything in their path - would have definitely put me off had that been my 1st experience.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 31-03-09 19:52; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Am I seeing things, 22 pounds for 1 hour in the evening?!
ski holidays
CSki, that's about right. Unfortunately these places aren't cheap to ski in.
snow report
I thought Sno!zone was bad, I was hoping Hemel might at least even things out and even spare us the pound for the lockers!
snow conditions
CSki, the lockers are free at Hemel Wink

I don't think there is yet enough competition for customers between the snowdomes for them to dramatically reduce their prices to attract more people. They are expensive to build (approaching £20m I think) and to run (keeping a space that large below freezing can't be cheap). So expensive prices Sad There are discounts available for frequent users.
snow report
I've got another day at Tamworth booked for 10th May - Ski in a day for no.1 son and his fiance, board in a day for no.1 daughter, bit of recreational skiing for wife and me.
I've read on here that Tamworth is not very well regarded for the quality of the snow, will Hemel be so much better so as to be worth the extra journey time?
snow report
Hi everyone. I've only just joined the SnowHeads thing, this is my first entry so apologies if it ends up in the wrong place! What do people think of snowdomes? I've tried Tamworth, Manchester and Castleford, preferred Manchester - it seems bigger and someone told me that the snow is better there, but do you think you can really improve by visiting them? I am relatively new to skiing - I've been going to Tignes with some friends for the last five years and although I can ski blues and get down reds without completely making an idiot of myself I seem to have hit a 'wall', and I'm beginning to wonder if it's a confidence thing. I went on a Warren Smith course last year in Saas Fee, great fun and I have to say if anyone is thinking of going I can really recommend him and his trainers, but although I picked up a lot of 'technical' advice I seemed to have gone backward (not literally!) in Tignes this year. I think I got a bit obsessed with my technique, everything didn't flow and my confidence really took a beating. I'm wondering what I can do between now and my next holiday in 2010, I can't afford the time or money to go onto a mountain so would regular visits to a dome be the answer? Problem is I live in the Cotswolds and they are all at least a 2 hour drive away. Another option is the Gloucester dry slope, just down the road for me, but I have been warned away from these places as I'm told you can have a nasty accident (particularly in the thumb department) if you fall. Any thoughts?
snow report
I've only been to Tamworth. The staff are really friendly and helpful and it's not so busy if you take time off work and go on a weekday or a weekend out of season, but weekends during the season are more than I can stomach...

The snow seemed OK to me, a bit crunchy in places but it's not at all steep...

It's not cheap either although they often have buy one hour get another free. Two hours of 5 minutes up the travelator and 30 seconds down the slope gets a bit monotonous though...

Often wondered how the other slopes compare, but Tamworth is the only one within an hour's drive for me...
snow conditions
Andy_T, lots of threads on sH on improvement on UK artificial slopes, and on whether domes or dry are better. Some of the discussions are heated and some are even more heated! wink I think fair to say that consensus that you can improve a lot at these places. I certainly have. No consensus on domes or dry. However you have dry on your doorstep and I can't easily imagine it making more sense for you to go elsewhere, except for a change every so often. Personally I think that there's greater potential for improvement at a dome but a)many will disagree 'cos they don't like domes b)much more crowded in domes in general as v.popular so unless can go off peak conditions may be suboptimal c)domes are often more costly d)actually more impt is the coaching you get and by rep you can get v.good coaching at Gloucester. Wear tough clothes, clench your fists and land on your forearms! wink
latest report
i'm only 10 mins from the hemel ski centre snowHead but i have a family of 5 and think its gonna be wayyyyyy too expensive for us. Cheaper to go on last minute ski weekend i think then a couple of days in the snowdome. But i know i'll be visiting as wont be able to resist!!
ski holidays
dlawless, just pick your times, it'll feel like excellent value for money! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snow & Rock Hemel opens on May 2nd.
snow conditions
Quote:

Snow & Rock Hemel opens on May 2nd.

Yes and we can't wait. After 12 months away we are finally returning home to a new shiny,spangly new 8000ft squared store integrating a cycle surgery.

Looking forward to opening our doors to those of you that would like to enjoy our range of choice and services,including the latest servicing machinery available
ski holidays
snowandrockhemel, r u opening in the snow centre or down at marlowes?
latest report
Andy_T,
As you are in Gloucester then just join one of the many clubs based at the slope there. You'll get masses out of the club at a fraction of the price of any snowdome - even without allowing for the additional travelling cost/time you'll incur going elsewhere. If you need any specific contacts, just let me know and I'll put you in touch with someone.
ski holidays
snowandrockhemel,
What edge angles do you offer?
ski holidays
RobW, Specific contacts would be good, but before I get too involved, I keep hearing a lot about potential injuries on a dry slope - is this true? You obviously have direct experience of Gloucester slope, what is your connection?
snow report
Wahoo... 15 minutes away from me ! Friday night is freestyle night....finally I'll be able to make some progress on kickers, boxes and rails ready to take to Apocolypse Park in Les Arcs NEXT season! £22 for 1 hr expensive? Well, add a couple of beers that'll be £30 for a friday night out - compare that to a night drinking and a curry, feels fair to me at least!
snow conditions
dlawless wrote:

The Lower Ground floor of the Snowcentre will be Snow & Rock
latest report
Quote:

hors Piste
Location: Alps or Canada - or the UK Midlandssnowandrockhemel,
What edge angles do you offer?

We will have the latest machinery available that you can basically make any angle you wish or if you would rather a race prep done by hand that will not be a problem!
Quote:

We have 8000 square feet of retail space on the lower floor at the entrance of the snow centre
snow conditions
Is the free admission snowHeads introduction day on May 23rd or 25th Puzzled
snow conditions
Boredsurfing, Free admission for me, all of the time. Cool
ski holidays
Spyderman, They might let you in the door but do they let you ski all the time NehNeh
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy