Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Burton Custom X ICS - to buy or not to buy?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi
I have hired a Custom X for the past 3 seasons and decided to treat myself and buy one for next season.
After doing some digging I can see that the new Custom X ICS is the only option to if I want to buy this model of board. Has anyone got any reviews for this board and also how good is the ICS system? I only ask because I am used to the old style of attaching bindings which to me was fine but I would quite happily be corrected.

Also do i have to buy specific bindings to go with this new style of board? If so which are recommended.

The best price I have found is £375 for the new Custom X ICS 160cm - anyone got any better shouts?

Many Thanks - from a slightly confused yet buzzing boarder!!!!

snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You can use old style burton bindings with the new ics system i believe you get a compatable centre disc that comes with the board to work with your old bindings...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Should come with an adapter plate to use 'standard' burton or non-burton bindings. And if you do decide to go for the ICS channel bindings, i've only heard good things about them so far...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Richard_Sideways, I tried them in Tignes this season along with two others and the est bindings kept on moving for all of us, maybe the guy wasn't setting them up right or missing something but if thats how they are then not good imo.....
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
romeowner, hmm... may have to change my stance *pun intended* on the ICS... have been reading around since your post and others may have had the same issue you did... You didn't say what kind of movement you were getting, but found this on another forum...

"The pivot points are the biggest problem that I have seen with that system. It creates grooves in the binding that make it perma pivot, no matter how hard you tighten them down. Seems to take about 20-30days of solid riding to get this to happen."

Sound familiar? May well depend on how much it gets tightened/retightened...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Richard_Sideways, the angles kept changing from as much as +15 back to zero and believe me i tightend them as much as possible at the bottom of the lifts a few times, but i met up with a guy in Austria this year he had the custom ics 162, new bindings (traditional style) and had no problems whatsoever as the plate that comes with the board is the same as we use now with all the notches underneath to stop them turning, we had a couple of powder days there and it was a breaze for him to set his stance back slightly.
So i like the ics but not the est bindings (apart from the fact they are comfy as hell with the flat beds) Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Richard_Sideways wrote:
Should come with an adapter plate to use 'standard' burton or non-burton bindings. And if you do decide to go for the ICS channel bindings, i've only heard good things about them so far...

I've just come back from a meeting with burton, non burton do not fit ICS. I've managed to get salomon on with a drill and the burton guy got ride to fit but I wouldnt recommend it.

My rental ICS boards dont move but I admit it happened to me when testing.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jonny luv plums, I think if you push yourself on these they will move, there's nothing really to stop it, unlike traditional bindings when you tighten the bolts the interlocking teeth/notches stop any movement..... agree???
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I already replied to this Puzzled

SInce mine moved on me I over tighten the rental ones and they havent moved since. The plastic washers with the ICS screws do kind of lock it in place to some degree.
Burton arent concerned though, all boards are ICS next year except the budget ones (feather/bullet etc).
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
romeowner wrote:
Jonny luv plums, I think if you push yourself on these they will move, there's nothing really to stop it, unlike traditional bindings when you tighten the bolts the interlocking teeth/notches stop any movement..... agree???

Nope.

I shredded my ICS board this year and had some major wipe outs in the process. Torn ACL, torn rotator cuff, separate incidents, damage multiplied by more serious wipeouts on the damaged parts.

On none of these trips have my ICS bindings moved 1 deg/1mm.

The bolts are serrated, locking into a serrated track. The binding screw slot is serrated, with a rubber mat below the bolt head, preventing any binding angle adjustment. Done up tight, it can't move anywhere.

ICS rocks.

Would you, sitting in 3 feet of powder and, not wishing to take your gloves off, decide to get your tool out (phnarrr), remove your 4 binding screws and set each binding back 50mm?

With ICS, you only need to loosen 2 screws per binding, slide the binding back and re-tighten.

ICS is the danglies and I was adjusting all the time in Andorra to suit what lay in front of me, be it piste or ballack deep powder.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
bar shaker, there is a good chance that there was something missing when we tested them in Tignes maybe the rubber mat?? the guy setting the boards up didn't give a chuff setting regular riders goofy etc...........
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
romeowner,

That would make sense.

A serrated washer under the top of the bolt would work even better but would need care to ensure the teeth were aligned before tightening. If the teeth weren't engaged, it would chew the binding edge slots.

The rubber pads work fin but I can see it being worth changing them each season and carrying spares, if you do a lot of adjustments on the hill.

Changing stance angles, set backs and stance widths is so simple they almost beg you to experiment. I'm riding a closer stance to what I started, just because I liked it better after trying new settings out. You just couldn't mess about like this with trad 4 or 3 fixing bindings.

I fully expect to see non Burton ICS compatible bindings soon, together with non Burton ICS boards.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
bar shaker, not in 2010 you won't. Head do a similar system to ICS but with 4 holes and 2 channels, just looked ghey.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy