Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort for Easter

Poster: A snowHead
We have booked flights to Turin on 11/04 for a 1 week holiday. I am going to book the accomodation nearer the time depending on the snow. I have looked at Cervinia which seems to be everybodys recommendation for late skiing. I have also been looking at Pila and La Thuille, which have north facing slopes, and in view of the amount of snow, may still be okay in a few weeks. I would appreciate any advice regarding these resorts or any others. We are a family of early intermediates/beginners.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
La Thuile should probably be good snow, not so sure about Pila - it may be north facing but gets an awful lot of sun! I was there 10 days ago, it was quite warm and the snow was getting pretty slushy lower down. Don't know what temps are like now. The higher slopes in Pila are quite tough. I don't know much about the terrain in La Thuile re suitability for beginners.

I would go to Cervinia, you have the glacier there and it's very high, superb ski area.

P.S. Welcome to snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Max01, Welcome to Snowheads. I've never been there, but pix of Cervinia look totally stunning!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi

We are also flying into Turin on the 11th. We have gone for Montgenevre 100km's piste with the Mont De La Luna lift pass you can link up to the Milky Way up to the 13th but after that its closed. Montgenevre website are offering 20% off the price of lift pases. Do you have any teenagers travelling with you?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My kids are 11, 10, 7. I looked at Montgenevre as a possible option, it certainly seem to be one of the easiest resorts to travel to from Turin. I was a little concerned about late snow. Cervinia certainly seems to be the most expensive option. The accomodation especially seems more expensive if you are on a budget as we are.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Snow-forecast.com reckons there's lots more snow to fall next week. We too are on a budget managed to find reasonably priced accomodation and we are getting the train from Turin to help keep the costs down. We have a 14 and a 12 year old in our party and 4 adults. Oh and we are flying from East Mids.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Welcome to Snowheads Max01,

A word of warning for all those using Turin airport. A friend from work has just come back (last week). She said that the prices at the airport were unbelievable and soooo expensive. She quoted a couple of examples......a couple of kids notebooks and pens = 15€, a Hello Kitty little girl's t-shirt 35€. I think she also said something about a pair of children's trainers being 150€ Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Max01, Cervinia is a good choice... take your point about cost, but Easter is late this year and it would a false economy to compromise on resort
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the info about Turin Airport its handy to know these things
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for taking the time to reply everybody. Take your point Red 27, Cervinia certainly seems to tick all the boxes.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I have seen that the current snow depths for Montgenevre are 180cm lower slopes and 240cm upper slopes. This may seem ambiguous and naieve, but taking all things into consideration would this now be a good option for Easter??
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Max01, there may well be some precipitation over Easter weekend so you preferably need to be somewhere where it will fall as snow rather than rain - as high as possible.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sleipnir wrote:
a couple of kids notebooks and pens = 15€, a Hello Kitty little girl's t-shirt 35€. I think she also said something about a pair of children's trainers being 150€
Useful to know, but why would anyone want to buy stuff like that at an airport?

I'm off to Tignes with the daughter at Easter, so expect rapidly melting snow and geerally crap conditions there.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
richmond
Quote:

I'm off to Tignes with the daughter at Easter, so expect rapidly melting snow and geerally crap conditions there.

Why? Are you the God of Cr@p Snow Conditions or something?? Puzzled Or just a doom-mongering pessimist? Tignes will still be excellent for another few weeks yet - don't panic!!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

why would anyone want to buy stuff like that at an airport?

or anywhere else for that matter? Anyone who buys anything at an airport has to be bored , desperate, made of money, or all three.
snow conditions
You wouldn't would you !!!

Only 4 more sleeps and we're off....... Montgenevre here we come.
snow conditions
Cervinia's booked!!

Apartment 2 minutes walk from the Cretaz chair.

Can't wait!!!
snow conditions
Max01, good choice! make sure you have a steak at Jour et Nuit on the main street, ask for the wine list abd see what he says! wink
latest report
Got back from Cervinia last Sunday. In terms of spring ski, I think this week bordered on perfection.
It started with 3 sunny, almost windless days, with good snow above 2500m, sometimes even great, and reasonable runs down to the lower stations on both sides (Italian and Swiss). A bit crowdy on Monday, which was the second day of easter, and from then on very few ppl on the slopes and virtually no queues, even around 9am.
On Wednesday afternoon it got cloudy, snow began to fall and continued for about 24 hours. The slopes were open on Thursday, but we preferred to do all our shopping while mother nature was stocking up the mountain. On Thursday afternoon the snow was so heavy that all the local roads were blocked for a few hours. Then it stopped, the sky seemed to clear up and Friday morning greeted us with a shiny white mountain under a heavenly blue sky. There were at least 30cm of new snow, even on the lowest slopes, which catered for a brilliant ski safari on the remaining two days of our vacation, from the Rothorn paradise to the runs above Valtournenche. WIth the connection to Zermatt open throughout the week, it felt like we could ski in any direction we fancied. The views were stunning all around the region, including the descent on the final day from the snowy Cervinia down to the blooming Aosta valley.

We stayed in the Astoria hotel, which is just across the street from the main cable car. Great location, good food, a spacious room and impeccable service, at a very decent price.

Even tho I skied on better spring snow in Colorado, this was my best easter ski vacation to date.
ski holidays
dfl, snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
We got back last Saturday, and like dfl we found the conditions probably couldn't have been better for the time of year.

We used the Breuil Cervinia ski school and found them to be most helpful, we are a family of 5 who had ski school/private lessons which we changed as the week went on and found them most welcoming. Look out for one of the instrucers called Stephanie. She is Italian/American, so the communication level is better than an Italian instructor. Very bubbly and enthusiastic, we found her great.

Hired the gear from, 'TOP ONE' opposite the nursery slopes. The guys in there were really helpful. They gave us quite a good discount, and the boss Michael even lent me his gloves when I lost mine the last couple of days.

Stopped in nice big apartment in the town centre, the plan being to use the cretaz chair, and the smaller chair lift in the morning, then ski down to Plan Maison. Unfortunatly, the ice in the morning made this route difficult and MOH had a bad experience the first morning. So we ended up having to walk up to the gondola, which wasn't ideal, then we discovered the ski lockers in the gondola station which made life easier.

We have ben travelling to Italy on holiday for several years, and the occupants of Cervinia were no exception. polite, friendly, and welcoming.

snowHead snowHead : snowHead
snow report
Max01, dfl interesting, I'm investigating a family Easter holiday for next year, would you mind sharing your costs at all? Was the hotel kid friendly dfl??
snow report
Max01, Glad you enjoyed Cervinia - a great late season choice. Did you get that steak in Jour et Nuit on the main street? Very Happy
latest report
Max01, Did you go into the cake shop/cafe at one end of the main street? Very nice, comfy and fantastic cakes and chocolates.
snow conditions
Never got to Jour et Nuir, for a steak. We were actually in an apartment in the same building. Did have a quick look at the menu, but felt steaks cooked in a woodfire oven and handmade pasta would have been wasted on the kids, and grabbed takeaway pizzas from the shop a couple of doors away.
latest report
kitenski, I paid 80eu/night/person for halfboard in a double room (which was more of a suite, with a separate double bedroom). This rate is more typical of low season, I got it because I booked 2 days before my arrival and they were having a slow Easter.
I don't really know what 'child friendly' means. There were a few families with children in the hotel and they didn't seem to be the target of verbal abuse or corporal punishement by the staff. otoh, I didn't see any playroom in the hotel.
snow report
kitenski, For 2 adults and 3 children, I paid £370 for return flights Liverpool Turin. £120 for the taxis, buses, trains for transfers, and £685 for a large apartment in the centre of the village.
snow report
cheers Max01, & dfl,

By kid friendly I meant could kids eat with parents/earlier in the hotel?

Max01, how much was hire, lift pass and food? We did a week in a catered chalet, cost us £3k all in inc flight, transfers, accomodation, lift pass, hire, lessons, night out food, lunches and other spends

cheers,

greg
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kitenski, The hotel had standard meal times for all ages.
The international lift pass is about 220 euro for 6 days. There's a 4 out of 6 days pass for 195 and a Cervinia only pass for 175, which you can upgrade to intl on a daily basis for 30 euro. My calculations showed that on a reasonable spring week, with the passage to Zermatt open for at least 2 days and bad weather for no more than 2 days, there is no point in bothering to optimize the expense - just buy the full intl pass.
I rented my skis thru the alpinresorts site - paid 98 euro for 6 days of good quality full ski equipment. This was the lowest rate I found on the web.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy