Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

fat ski convert

Poster: A snowHead
So, I've crossed over - been skiing on Nordica Hot Rod all week in Ischgl - so much fun, what can I say. Fatter skis are fun. I didn't think they would carve as well as my Volkls or do good short turns, but they were pretty mustard at everything I did - they even saw me speeding down some blacks. And I did some nifty off-piste skiing. So, if I like these skis, what should I try next?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You now need to wear boarder gear and call everybody dude.

Job done.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
erica2004, the first rung is nice, come see the rest of the ladder.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I forgot to say - they were really fat for me - 84mm underfoot. Shocked They were called Nordica Jet Fuel. I was going to try Stockli Stormrider, but the Nordicas were so much fun. Really, really fun - and, very easy to ski, and a good edge hold.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
erica2004, What are you doing posting in Ischgl as this time of night. Don't you have a pub to go to?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
erica2004, was wondering about which HR you skied. Not Hellcats was a safe bet.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ummm....86 is the thinest I ski these days.
Faction 3-zeros are 113 underfoot and are my general purpose go-to ski. They hold a fantastic edge, carve a treat, terrific for short turns and a blast in powder or crud.

84....skiiny!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
erica2004, 84's not fat. My Missions are 89 (mind you, that's for a 178 ski) - and they are pretty much all mountain - though when the whole mountain becomes well skied or hard, I do hire something skinny for a day or two.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Is it time yet for the oblogatory mention of movement gladiators?

Mind you at 183 they might be a bit long for you
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm a fat ski convert too. But my skis are quite skinny.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hurtle wrote:
I'm a fat ski convert too. But my skis are quite skinny.

Laughing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you're under 100mm, you're not trying hard enough wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hurtle, Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hurtle, Indeed. I thought this was the great news that erica2004, had got her sister to ski... Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Oh, dear! I have to admit that I saw a different way of reading the thread title Embarassed
ski holidays
Give a dog a bad name. Embarassed Embarassed
ski holidays
Try some Redeemer's Erica, 128mm under foot but only in a 190....sooooo maybe not then!! Laughing
latest report
Quote:

113 underfoot .... They hold a fantastic edge, carve a treat, terrific for short turns

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 6-03-09 18:28; edited 1 time in total
latest report
skimottaret wrote:
Quote:

113 underfoot .... They hold a fantastic edge, carve a treat

My 115mm 196s also carve exceptionally well... maybe you're just a bad skier.. or maybe you're confusing "carving" with "short radius carving".
ski holidays
DaveC wrote:
skimottaret wrote:
Quote:

113 underfoot .... They hold a fantastic edge, carve a treat

My 115mm 196s also carve exceptionally well... maybe you're just a bad skier.. or maybe you're confusing "carving" with "short radius carving".

"fantastic", "exceptional" You'd think World Cup GS racers would be giving these a try soon Laughing

My 100 mm wide Line Prophets carve ok if the going is soft and the radius long. They're great off piste and fun to ski. Fantastic, exceptional carvers they are not. My 83 mm wide Head Monsters are far more powerful carvers on piste and those are nothing special compared to a more serious piste carver.
snow conditions
It's all about the sidecut, the camber, the stiffness.
Don't judge a book by its cover or a carver by its width.
ski holidays
DaveC wrote:

Have you ever tried a proper race stock ski? Maybe you're confusing just standing on an edge and riding it round with carving. NehNeh
ski holidays
Quote:

maybe you're confusing "carving" with "short radius carving".

I see now, you can "carve" these things but only in a straightish line wink Toofy Grin
snow conditions
? can you carve a better line on ice with

A. an ice skate or
B. a snowboard?

what is the difference in the two
latest report
A snowboard, you can flex it to radius better. Ice skaters have to step across...
ski holidays
Cunners wrote:
Ice skaters have to step across...

They don't have to step across. That's bollox
ski holidays
Why do they continually do it then?
snow conditions
Cunners wrote:

For power not steering. I don't skate but I'd guess if you're trying to carve a clean, fast line you'd want more edge angle (just like you'd do when skiing or boarding).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hmm. I love my Scott Missions, and ski with them in pretty much all conditions. But when the going got really compacted and very firm at LDA in January, I hired a pair of Volkl Race Tigers - and had a ball.
snow report
Horses for courses I say. If you can ski dedicated off-piste fat skis on piste as well as you can a pair of dedicated piste skis (like race stock GS or slalom) then clearly you're not getting the best performance out of the piste skis.
latest report
achilles, exactly !! horses for courses.... my SL race skis are great on piste not so good off. 115mm wide fattys will be great off piste and in crud but wont be as fun trying to rip turns on icy pistes.
snow report
skimottaret, anyone would think we'd rehearsed this!
ski holidays
rob@rar, great minds think alike ?
snow conditions
skimottaret wrote:
rob@rar, great minds think alike ?

Maybe, but two monkeys in a box will eventually find the same way out Smile
ski holidays
rob@rar, Laughing Laughing shall remember that one.
ski holidays
It's basically the choice between a big, well built, well designed high end GT that you can drive everyday to the supermarket and still let rip in or a race stock le mans jobby that can't make it over a speed bump. Only a complete poseur would chose the latter as an everyday car NehNeh
snow report
Cunners wrote:
It's basically the choice between a big, well built, well designed high end GT that you can drive everyday to the supermarket and still let rip in or a race stock le mans jobby that can't make it over a speed bump. Only a complete poseur would chose the latter as an everyday car NehNeh

How many people spend 90% of their time off piste?
ski holidays
More than spend 90% of their time on an empty groomed race piste?
snow report
Cunners, you don't need a groomed race piste to get the best out of a pair or race stock skis. Any old piste will do. If my experience at the End of Season Bashes is typical only a very small proportion of recreational skiers spend most of their time off piste. The majority spend more time on piste, with occasional forays into the sidecountry. All skis are going to be a compromise choice, so make sure you choose a ski which best suits what you ski otherwise the compromise will be unnecessarily large.
snow conditions
Cunners wrote:

Ever watched figure skating or ice hockey? Just because they step over doesn't mean they can't carve clean tight radius turns without doing that.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy