Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Early Birds

Poster: A snowHead
Booked my first 2010 trip - Ischgl 9th-16th Hotel Ferienglueck which has the all important spa and gym and is a reasonable 76€ per night for a single room with balcony. Flights to Zurich £100 and then the train to Landeck-Zams Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Booked mine last week - Tignes at Feb 1/2 term. Just need to sort out January and March now.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just about to book January. Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
flights for our annual dad's weekend trip in mid jan were booked two weeks after we got back this year!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Roger C, it's only 4 days since I got back!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
My ski buddies are already booking for next year! It's less than two weeks since we got back. I guess I'm going to have to scrape together the pre-deposit and follow suit if I want the pleasure of their company again next season...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
davehk, dang - you beat me!

All We are the sad ones! snowHead Laughing

I get so much mickey-taking for being a 'planner'.
People say - "but anything could happen before then"
and I think, "yeah, but whatever happens I'm still going skiing!"
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
red 27, quite! Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hurtle, where are you just about to book?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
my half-term visitors rebooked within a day of arriving in serre chevalier. i'm thinking about next year, but nothing organised.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Might not have booked it yet, but we are always thinking of what is going to be the next trip...One chairlift conversation a couple of years ago involved DH planning out the next trip...I hadn't even got past where we were going to go at the end of the lift.

Never too early to be thinking of where to go next...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We (I Embarassed ) used to always book as soon as possible. One trip was booked on Boxing day, while we were still at Val D Laughing .

However now the kids are older and we have escaped the half term / Easter scrummage, we have been leaving it later and later. We've booked the time off work, but not the skiing destination or flights. Lech this year was booked just 3 weeks before we went (and one week after we got back from St Johanne). This approach seems to offer the benefit of snow certainty, (not that that was an issue anywhere this season) and gives us the opportunity to look at last minute deals.

Of the two approaches, the worrier in me prefers to have everything booked, but the laid back dude in me prefers to wait and see how things pan out. Next year I think the laid back dude is likely to win as we aren't planning on booking anything until near to, or even after Christmas. snowHead
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
its going to be a last minute for me and the family this year that will keep the guessing

are we going are we not!!!!!!!!!!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
red 27 wrote:
Hurtle, where are you just about to book?
Courchevel, Inspired to Ski course. If I weren't wanting to do a course, I'd be more likely to leave the booking until late and 'follow the snow.' In the last few years, I've often booked flights well in advance, but not accommodation.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hurtle, ah right - I looked at that, beleive it or not. 3V in January - very nice, such a big area and no crowds (outside Russian NY)
snow report
red 27, did one this year, at the same time, it was just brilliant. Not too crowded and the Russians were OK. Mind you, it does help to be able to point out, quite politely and in their own language, what A QUEUE is! wink Actually, my experience - also how I was brought up - is that Russians will celebrate their own Christmas (so you have to make sure that's out of the way before going to Courchevel) but they'll tend to celebrate NY on 31 December with everyone else. I reckoned that was why, arriving on the weekend of 10/11 Jan, there didn't seem to be all that many Russians around, though there were a few. Dunno. That's how it seemed, anyway.
snow report
I have a client who booked last November for Half Term 2010! Shocked Laughing There ARE 27 of them though, so they sensibly realised that to get what they wanted, they needed to grab it whilst it was still there to grab
snow conditions
Hurtle wrote:
arriving on the weekend of 10/11 Jan, there didn't seem to be all that many Russians around

They were all in the Dolomites rolling eyes .
ski holidays
maggi, really? Where? Cortina?
snow conditions
Anniepen, Wow - that will take some beating!

Hurtle, you were too late - it's the week before which is their NY. When I started skiing in the early 80's (oh God....) we always used to go on that first week in January - a great antidote to the post-crimbo blues and it was also the cheapest of the year - not anymore... I will look again at I-to-Ski, they were also recommended by another snowHead who's name I have forgotten and I do like the fact that you can have a single room for a reasonable cost. Courchevel is not a bad resort either I guess if you like that sort of thing wink

What I love about ski holidays is the Freedom though - do what I want, go where I like, lie in til noon if the fancy takes me - that's what puts me off an organised course. BUT, I would like to get off Planet Punter too - a dilemma, or is it a dichotomy Puzzled Life is so tough, these hard choices, it's just not fair, I want compensation wink
snow report
red 27,
Quote:

I will look again at I-to-Ski, they were also recommended by another who's name I have forgotten
VolklAttivaS5 it was who persuaded me. And cathy was there with me in January and enjoyed it.

Quote:

What I love about ski holidays is the Freedom though - do what I want, go where I like, lie in til noon if the fancy takes me - that's what puts me off an organised course. BUT, I would like to get off Planet Punter too - a dilemma, or is it a dichotomy Life is so tough, these hard choices, it's just not fair, I want compensation
Wholeheartedly agreed. My aim this year was to do some concentrated learning early in the season and then free-ski with mates (and practise what I'd learned) later. Sorted. But this is also a new found luxury for me, going more than once a season, that is.
ski holidays
Hurtle, yes of course - volkl...

Your aims and mine are identical... food for thought. Isn't it great to be looking forward to next season in such specific detail Very Happy
snow report
red 27,
Quote:

Isn't it great to be looking forward to next season in such specific detail

Not 'alf!
ski holidays
red 27,
Quote:

you were too late - it's the week before which is their NY
Just remembered I missed that bit. Pedantry alert: no, that's Christmas (7th Jan.) Russian New Year is, strictly speaking, on 14th Jan, but they generally celebrate it on the 1st, as per the Gregorian calendar. So, yes, you have to get the first week out of the way while they celebrate Christmas, but you don't have to wait for their New Year. In fact, New Year gets celebrated before Christmas, according to their cock-eyed system.

But I don't suppose you, or anyone else, really needed to know that. Embarassed Embarassed
ski holidays
Some of us still haven't booked all of this years trips yet Embarassed
ski holidays
After going it entirely DIY for about 8 years, I've just picked up the Inghams & Crystal early bird brochures. Talk about a Shocked. Cheapest B&B in Austria in January £400....a Zermatt 4 star hotel that we paid £450 for (about 7 years ago admittedly!!) now £850 in January.........half term prices that require a second mortgage.......£1200 for a week in North America etc etc.

Does anyone actually book from a brochure these days? And if so, why??
ski holidays
mountainaddict, yes I always book through a TO. I've priced up DIY and it's always more expensive usually due to the cost of a transfer for a solo traveller. Then there's the hassle factor. I guess I just like having everything done for me. Coach waiting at airport to take me to resort. Lift pass received on coach. Hire equipment reserved. Coach back to airport all sorted. Someone at the end of a phone if I have any problems...

Each to their own. I can see the purpose of DIY for a group booking or a family driving to resort for example but for someone like me it just looks like a load of hassle and extra expense...
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
maggi, really? Where? Cortina?

Canazei. Hotel and resort were full of them.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
maggi, gosh. That's not even particularly upmarket, is it? At least it wasn't when I was there, many moons ago.
ski holidays
I have never booked any trip more than 8 weeks ahead and I don't see any reason to start now!

Plenty of mileage left in this season if you ask me so why not enjoy it!? snowHead
snow report
roga, because I live in Derbyshire and the hills are not big enough and have no snow. Nor do I own skis or boots...
ski holidays
Hurtle, you speak fluent Russian? I am impressed.
latest report
roga, sling your hook - we don't want you spontaneuos, last minute types on here wink
latest report
i have just posted prices for next year as already getting a few enquiries, i am amazed given the economy....
ski holidays
achilles wrote:
Hurtle, you speak fluent Russian? I am impressed.
My Russian is much less fluent than it should be, given that it was the language spoken around me at home as a child. Nothing to be impressed about.
ski holidays
queen bodecia wrote:
roga, because I live in Derbyshire and the hills are not big enough and have no snow. Nor do I own skis or boots...

Go on buy some, you know you want to and at the very least you can park them in the corner of a room and look at them all summer wink Razz wink
red 27 wrote:
roga, sling your hook - we don't want you spontaneuos, last minute types on here wink

LOL, sorry Blush
ski holidays
LOL! Some people live on a different planet. Meanwhile, back in the real world...
snow conditions
queen bodecia wrote:
LOL! Some people live on a different planet. Meanwhile, back in the real world...

LOL, yeah, it depends on how much you ski, for me owning skis represents a serious saving on hire costs, but they do look nice propped up in a corner over the summer ... honest Toofy Grin
latest report
queen bodecia, if you ski in Austria, it is usually possible to do it cheap as a solo traveller. Public transport is reliable, cheap and extensive, and many pensions have single rooms at 1/2 the price of a double.
latest report
Hurtle wrote:
That's not even particularly upmarket, is it?

Unfortunately, I'm not an upmarket sort of girl! Laughing The hotel was quite good, pool/spa etc - well, it would have been if it had not been so noisy Shocked . I don't know who was loudest, the Russians or the Italians rolling eyes . Anyway, the whole Sella Ronda was heaving with them that week.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy