Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Do you know these skis?

Poster: A snowHead
I've seen these skis on sale. They're ex rental but being sold from a reputable ski shop as Rossignol edge 2005 model carving skis 160 cm long fitted with Rossignol axium 95 bindings. Apparently base and binding are good. They want 130 NZ dollars - about 50 pounds. I can't seem to find any reviews of these skis online, does anyone know from the picture the exact model or know if the skis are worth the money? In terms of level I'm an intermediate.

Cheers NB

[/img]
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The interski logo looks similar to here http://www.interskisnowsportschool.co.uk/partners.asp
Ex-hire for schools?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Look like Interski ex school rentals - bet they've been around the block a bit. Bet you'd get a brand new pair in the sale soon for about £250.00 all in
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yeah I agree but the problem is I am buying them in NZ for when I arrive there in June and will be leaving them there when I come home 3 months later! I am just basically looking for a good, reliable ski that's cheap enough to leave behind so I think they might be ok for that?

Once I'm back home in London I will invest in a decent set for keeps so these just need to serve me well for the 3 months. Do you think they'll do that?

Cheers, NB
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
NomadicBoo, can you not travel with skis or do you have other travelling plans that would make them a hassle?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I still think they might be a bit short (as you previously said you were 5'9"" and 65 kg) and probably more of a ski for a beginner than an intermediate. But if all you want is something cheap to thrash around during your tour, who knows.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
NomadicBoo, I can't be certain, but they look remarkably like the ex-rental Interski Rossignol skis we had at the Norfolk Dry Slope until very recently. Ours were bought secondhand well over five years ago (they were there when I first started - so maybe even longer), so I would have put them as about 2000/01 - though they may have made the same skis for several years. Can't comment much on performance, other than designed as a beginner ski, as our were knackered long ago, and have now all been binned.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
arv wrote:
NomadicBoo, can you not travel with skis or do you have other travelling plans that would make them a hassle?

Yep. I am currently in S.E Asia and heading to NZ on route to a few other places so I can't really take skis with me or take any when I leave.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
beequin wrote:
I still think they might be a bit short (as you previously said you were 5'9"" and 65 kg) and probably more of a ski for a beginner than an intermediate. But if all you want is something cheap to thrash around during your tour, who knows.

Hi Beequin. I'm 5 ft 8 and 65kg and I've skied 160's the last 3 times according to the guys I go with. Do you not think jumping up in size might make it more difficult for me to control them? Below are the the only others I can find in my price range at the moment (they want $199 NZ dollars - about 78 pound) and they're 170 which I'm worried may be too big? Thoughts? 5ft8 and 65kg is fairly small for a male.

ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
NomadicBoo,

You're not small - you're perfectly formed. (You're an inch taller than me and the same weight).

I'm currently on a 166, but used to ski on a 178. I doubt you'd have a problem upsizing from a 160.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Acacia wrote:
NomadicBoo,

You're not small - you're perfectly formed. (You're an inch taller than me and the same weight).

I'm currently on a 166, but used to ski on a 178. I doubt you'd have a problem upsizing from a 160.

I've never been described as perfectly formed before - well not least in terms of height weight ratio anyway wink .

I have just had this list e-mailed through to me from a shop in NZ. Any thoughts on whats good? In terms of the smaller sizes they are for my girlfriend (5ft6 and 70kg) so opinions on those apprecaited too. They're all ex-rental or demo with bindings.

Volkl P60 carver 156=$400 or 156 pound
Ogasaka Truin 155 $495 or 193 pound
Dynastar Nova 164 $475 or 180 pound
Dynastar Team Course 158 $400 or 156 pound
Dynastar GS 156 $395 or 150 pound
Elan HCX 163 $400 or 156 pound
Volkl P60 163 $495 or 193 pound

Cheers,

NB
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
NomadicBoo, Has to be the Volkl! Good ski, great edge hold but dearer than the ones in the origional post! I dont have the knowledge of others in relation to how stiff this is for a particular ability. I have used them and they were great.

Sorry that I am suggesting that you spend extra bucks!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Elan HCX 163 sounds OK to me, but Volkl P60 may have a better resale value though.
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=32483
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The volkl P60s are good skis. I still use mine (leave them at my parents house in the resort) and they compare reasonably farvourably to my Atomic SL12s.

There are lots of different versions of them:

P60 RC racing - GS race ski
P60 SC racing - SL race ski
P60 carver - toned down version of the SC

I have the SC racing in 160. It is a pretty stiff ski with a very right radius (10.8m) and rewards good skiing, not for anyone that doesn't like carving slalom radius turns or the lacking skill to pressure it well. They are quite wide in the tail so they tend to hang on rather than skid comfortably.

Mine were £90 off ebay.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hey all - I was thinking the Volks but spending the extra pounds makes me Crying or Very sad . I have also just found out the model and they're GS. If that's the case wouldn't they be too short?

I've also had a couple of other e-mails (I think I bombarded every shop in NZ) and these have also come up as options;

For me:

Atomic SX9 Supercross 160cm at $399 or 155 pound
Fischer RX6 160cm at $499 or or 196 pound

For my lovely lady friend:

Nordica Olympia Drive 154cm $499 or 196 pound

Any of these any better or the Volk's all the way?

Cheers all! NB Toofy Grin
ski holidays
NomadicBoo, you're a similar size to me although I am female and a bit heavier (oops!). I've hired 165cm skis the last two trips and they suited me just fine...
latest report
NomadicBoo wrote:
Fischer RX6 160cm at $499 or or 196 pound

NomadicBoo the Fischer RX8s are a ski well loved by many snowHead . You may find the RX6s to be too soft and more of an beginner to intermediate ski, whereas the RX8s are more intermediate upwards
snow conditions
Both the atomics and fischers are good (and similar skis) and will be a bit easier and more forgiving to ski than the volkls as well as having a more managable turn radius.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 8-04-09 20:13; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
narc wrote:
Both the atomics and fischers are good (an similar skis) and will be a bit easier and more forgiving to ski than the volkls as well as having a more managable turn radius.

I'm thinking the Atomics at the moment. I like the price, they look snazzy (check the link) rolling eyes .http://www.snowride.co.nz/closeout-specials-c-60/atomic-sx-9-supercross-p-394.

More importantly, I think they will fit my skill level better. I like a bit of flex, manageable turns are important and good control with a bit of forgiveness. Whilst I'm an intermediate by definition (skiing european black runs) I have been compared to a robot malfunctioning on the way down at times.... Laughing

I'm waiting for one more company to get back to me and I'll post what they have to offer. Cheers for all the input so far.

NB
snow conditions
So I've definitely decided on the Atomics. They're a bit outside of my budget but if I like them I will try and bring them home after.

My girfriend now has 2 choices - the Volk P60 Carver in 156 or the Nordica ladies specific Olympia Drive 154cm. The Volks are about 150 pound and the Nordica's 200 pound.

Would she be ok skiing on the Volks or would they be too heavy and her better off on a woman specific ski? In terms of ability and style she is technically perfect, but not at all aggresive and just really enjoys cruising at medium speed on blues and reds with the occasional foray on to blacks.

Thoughts?

Cheers NB
snow report
Sorry to bump this up but my girlfriend could really do with some opinions on which skis to go for. She missed out on the Nordica's unfortunately so now her choices are;

Volk P60 Carver in 156
Dynastar Team Course 158
Dynastar GS 156

All are about 150 pound. Thoughts?

Cheers NB
snow report
The P60 is still a good ski for the lady.
ski holidays
Thanks Beequin. I will pass that on and hopefully get a few more thoughts of others for her.

Just noticed you live in Twickenham - I used to live there! About 10 minutes from the rugby ground! Small world full of snowHead .
latest report
NomadicBoo, I would avoid both pairs of Dynastars, they are children's race skis.
snow conditions
rjs wrote:
NomadicBoo, I would avoid both pairs of Dynastars, they are children's race skis.

Really? And to think the shop recommended them for her! Thanks for the heads up.
ski holidays
NomadicBoo, On reading further back in the thread where you wrote that the Volkls are a GS version I think that they will be the children's version in that length too. They may work fine for your GF, they are intended for 12 or 13 YO kids to race on so are fairly stiff.

Bear in mind that any of these skis will have been much cheaper new than the equivalent adult model.
ski holidays
So we didn't go for any of them as we're worried they're all kids skis! We do hav a new option though - The Head Every Thang 2008 in 156 with Head Sure Thang 9F bindings.

Link and pics - http://www.snowrental.net/skiing/ski-equipment/head/2008/head-every-thang.html

Anyone know if these ar any good? They want 153 pound and apparently they're mint condition. Thoughts?

NB
latest report
NomadicBoo, I like Head skis but I'm a more traditional skier and currently use a pair of Head GS skis, so other than saying that Head seems to make good hardwearing skis I can't help I'm afraid
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy