Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Instructor - thats me..

Poster: A snowHead
Just had to announce that i have just qualified as a Military and Civilian ski instructor and am duly chuffed to bits.

The added bonus (for me) is that the military qualification (i am in the Army) - Joint Service Ski Instructor Alpine means that i pretty much have guaranteed free skiing for the rest of my career all round the world including touring Very Happy Very Happy

The only oddity is that the Civilian qual that i also got (BASI level 1) only lets me teach on indoor slopes Sad - yet all my teaching (in reality) will be on real snow snowHead .... not that i am complaining - i just think its a bit odd.

Cest la vie.

Now to buy some new gear in the sales to celebrate snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
matricks, Well congratualtions to you - now all you have to decide is whether you are going to need to add a helmet to that new gear shopping list!!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Megamum

Thanks very much Very Happy

And on the helmet front ive had a read of the epic thread and in a nutshell wear a helmet all the time and have done eversince i got into skiing. I wear a helmet on the snow beacuse its slippy stuff by nature and all it takes is a knock in the wrong place - this doesnt have to happen when on the slope - my stepmum had a trip to the hospital in Austria as a result of a slip when walking to the slopes - thankfully she was ok albeit a few stitches later. In a nutshell helmets are there for a reason - to protect the head - introduce conditions conducive for slipping around and it doesnt make sense not to really.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
matricks wrote:
.. in a nutshell wear a helmet all the time

groan!!

Seriously - well done on the achievement!!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Butterfly

lol - guess i should have seen that coming..
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
matricks, nice one snowHead , did the military pay for your training and civilian basi membership? i have a friend (good skier) that is thinking about joining up and was wondering if he could do instructing when in....
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skimottaret wrote:
matricks, nice one snowHead , did the military pay for your training and civilian basi membership? i have a friend (good skier) that is thinking about joining up and was wondering if he could do instructing when in....

Cheers,

The military paid for it, the only thing i paid for was the Basi Membership fee, though i can claim this back, so i got it for "free". The process to get to the JSSI (A) can be a long one - though this can be abridged as your friend is a good skiier. However, because the Ski Instructors course is within the Adventurous Training sphere - your friend will have to do a few other Ski Touring and Nordic Skiing courses first but these are actually a really good crack and recommended - plus when you have them done you can get on the expeditions - like the one this year to ski tour/ mountaineer up the northface of Mont Blanc then ski down!!!!!!!!!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:
ike the one this year to ski tour/ mountaineer up the northface of Mont Blanc then ski down!!!!!!!!!

Ah, good. our tax £ being spent on excellent combat training then.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'll bite on this - albeit it quickly. rolling eyes

Memoaning about tax £ being spent on an expedition that requires, leadership, courage, commitment, navigational excellence, teamwork and a high degree of physical fitness is hardly a waste of money. Incorporate the fact that this is an opportunity to do something fun and enjoyable against the background of the continious cycle of Pre deployment training, deployment, courses, pre deployment training, deployment and it becomes a valuable tool to inspire and retain soldiers whom are otherwise "thredders". In addition to the above points I pay tax too as do all other service personnel - so we are part funding it NehNeh
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
matricks, well done!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nice one matricks, Sking with the Army Adventure Training Centre in NZ was the highlight of my time in the NZ army. Hats off to you. wink Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under a new name, i dont have a problem with the Army lads having a go at this stuff as i can see it doing a lot of good as matricks, spells out but i have seen some guys training with Navy and Air Force ski team jackets on which is a bit of a step too far on the tax dollar front... you dont need mountain skills in a submarine.

Whatever happened to boxing as an interservice sport. Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skimottaret

Re the RAF and Navy Ski jackets, ill put those down to when there used to be interservice alpine skiing championships, this has died off somewhat - most likley due to a lack of funding and available personnel. I would IMHO say that there isnt to much wrong with wearing these (apart from looking like a "big timer") It obviously advertises the fact that the services are involved in skiing - a positive thing - and also MAY help with recruitment and retention.

In order to shed some light on the forces view of alpine skiing i will try and be succinct.

Skiing is conducted as part of Adventurous Training (AT), all courses for this are sponsored and paid for by the Army. AT is conducted to fulfill the following aim:

"To develop, through authorised challenging pursuits and within and outdoor environment, leadership and the qualities necessary to enhance performance of military personnel during peace and war"

This on its own could spawn a lengthy thread about the pros and cons the whys and wherfores of how Alpine skiing fulfills this - but my 2p is:

Alpine skiing is able to fulfil these requirements by taking individuals out of their comfort zone, irrespective of ability, and placing them in a situation where they are required to perform. Across the ability level it is necessary to integrate into a team and apply skills taught in the Alpine environment to enhance individual and group ability.

Alpine skiing is not a simple skill, it requires commitment and effort in order to progress and improve performance and capability be it through increased personal fitness, motivation to meet the challenge of a complex and demanding run, or simply through the desire to improve; all of these aspects form the foundations for enhancement of military personnel in and out of the alpine environment.

In addition - Command, Leadership and Management are a necessity in the mountain environment, these are continually developed through the attainment of progressive AT qualifications of which alpine skiing forms an integral and crucial element.
snowHead

The Army have moved away from single Alpine skiing qualifications/ courses because they were deemed to be better when incorporated with additional elements such as ski touring, Nordic/ x country courses. It is now impossible to attain Alpine Skiing qualifications without also getting Touring or Nordic quals at the same time. This widens the individuals exposure to real skiing - Telemarking Cool and Touring Cool and pushes personnel IOT acheive the aim of AT.

It is worth noting that AT courses are vastly different to Unit/ Service Ski Trips. AT is "free" whereas Unit/ Service Ski Trips are subsidised from funds specifically designed to provide for this type of activity - (the majority of this money comes from contributions from personnel to these Unit funds in the form of monthly or yearly "subs" - and the rest is from schemes such as the Army Sports Lottery) Eg for a ski trip to france i would expect to pay around 50% of the total cost - the rest would be subsidised. But in order to organise and conduct such a trip Qualified ski instructors have to be present... Toofy Grin

...waiting out...

Oh PS - The services still "do" boxing wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
matricks, I'm just jealous. Mr. Green
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
matricks, Congratulations. The joint services qualification used to be nowhere near as good as the old BASI 3, and indeed on Cairngorm they were banned at one time. Then the courses started being run by BASI and were equivalent to the old Grade 3 (Level 2 now). I don't know why it's now only classed as Level 1. However teaching services personnel is very different to teaching civilians. I won't bore you with the stories, but it was interesting when I got those groups up on the 'gorm! Shocked
ski holidays
matricks wrote:
........Memoaning about tax £ being spent on an expedition that requires, leadership, courage, commitment, navigational excellence, teamwork and a high degree of physical fitness is hardly a waste of money........

It certainly isn't. Mind you, as an ex JSMEL I am a little biased (and also impressed with your ski qualification - congratulations).

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 27-03-09 15:50; edited 1 time in total
latest report
easiski, ex services personnel are much easier. Little Angel wink
snow report
matricks, well done....

and just remember to say...... "thank you taxpayer" Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
under a new name wrote:
matricks, I'm just jealous. Mr. Green

No problems - just hope that ive cleared the waters a bit on the AT vs "ski hols" that we get to do

easiski

Yup it is a bit odd - i assume that when i climb higher on the instructors ladder the opportunity will be there to do BASI 2 - unless i fork out for it then claim it back...

I can well imagine there being a world of difference between the two groups - figure one day ill have done both - but for now ill stick to what i know...

achilles

Lo there Very Happy always good to bump into the ex services. I am currently planning a path to get JSMEL (W) then ill have "free reign" to organise and lead Touring Expeditions - i can lead Tours at the moment - but nothing near as good as proper backcountry freeheel off into the wilderness stuff that is simply Awesome snowHead snowHead snowHead

Wonder if there are any other ex/ current service skiiers on here??
latest report
Quote:

I won't bore you with the stories

easiski, please do! snowHead
latest report
CEM wrote:
matricks, well done....

and just remember to say...... "thank you taxpayer" Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Consider it done... Little Angel

Although for my next "trip" i might just ask for cash up front wink .... Very Happy Toofy Grin
snow conditions
skimottaret wrote:
...I have seen some guys training with Navy and Air Force ski team jackets on which is a bit of a step too far on the tax dollar front... you dont need mountain skills in a submarine.
Hate to break this to you, but the British Armed Forces' primary arctic warfare 'weapon' is the Royal Marines (who would be wearing Royal Navy ski jackets wink ), but matricks has already explained how that sort of thing isn't really tax-payer subsidised, so it's a moot point...

It's worth noting, as matricks again alludes to, that AT has to be developmental - a new skill or challenging the key components of a serviceman's role (CLM etc). I was, for example, precluded from partaking in any alpine ski activities other than JSSI during my brief stint because I was already a ski instructor so wouldn't have gained anything from pottering around the red runs for a week - unlike those who were putting themselves through the pain of learning (I remember that well... Laughing ) Ski touring would have been a different matter (I say 'would' - I lost my passport Embarassed ).

PS. Congratulations matricks.
ski holidays
The last time somebody complained about spending money on this kind of thing it was pointed out how much more is spent on "team building" events by industry.
ski holidays
skisimon wrote:
......It's worth noting, as matricks again alludes to, that AT has to be developmental .....

I found that the sort of people who di adventurous training (AT) were also very much the sort of people I wanted in my flights/squadrons during my time in the RAF. To some extent it was inherent in them, but I have no doubt that the characteristics were honed by AT.
ski holidays
matricks, and congratulations too. Happy
latest report
skimottaret wrote:
you dont need mountain skills in a submarine

You'd be surprised!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy