Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What skis should we hire?

Poster: A snowHead
Planning to hire through ski republic, and know nothing of what skis are what. Here are the choices:

Dynastar Contact 10
Dynastar Contact 9
Dynastar Legend 4800
Rossignol B3
Rossignol Z9 TI Oversize
Rossignol XFight 4 Blue
Salomon W 12
Salomon 1080 Original

I am a big chap (6’ 2” 100Kg), fairly athletic, ski mainly on piste – fairly fast – will tackle any slope, but lack any refinement.

Mrs ringingmaster is similar ability but 5’ 6” and about 60Kg and reasonably fit.

Any advice??
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ringingmaster wrote:

Any advice??

Where are the choices for yourself? wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've got the legend 4800 in a 172cm, skied mainly on piste this season and I like them a lot although I'll admit to not having skied anything else to compare them against..seem to be good edge to edge and I can hold my carves well - not slow either. Semeed to be ok on the off-piste stuff I did although they are a a little narrower at the front than some other designs, although any issues were probably user error more than anything else..

On reflection I think I'd prefer perhaps a 178 length although that would then make them more 'top of head' than eye level
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks bertie bassett - also thansk for all the Les Arcs reports. We are staying in 1800 from 4th April - 11th
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ringingmaster, are you interested in skiing off-piste more? If not, I'd probably give the B3s a miss. I think I skied on a pair of Rossignol Z9 TI Oversize a couple of seasons back (not sure if the model has changed much) and they were a great piste ski - very easy to turn, but not great for off-piste, so they could be a reasonable choice.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Oh and we're in Les Arcs that week as well (in 2000 I think). Let me know what you choose - it might help me to avoid a 6' 2" 100kg man skiing fairly fast without any refinement Smile
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I agree with alan empty. Rossi Z9 Ti - a bit like being on a motorbike. B3s for smooooooooooth off-piste crrrrrruiiiiiiiissssssing.

Dynastar Contact 10s are a nice middle ground. Not as zippy as the Z9s. But they don't sink in the off-piste like a lead bar wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ringingmaster, if mainly on piste go for the z9's

I'm a little bigger than you and have been skiing my Head Monster im88's all season... I took out my old Rossi Z5's the other week for a change and they were huge fun on piste so much easier to turn than the monsters. Off piste now thats a different matter snowHead
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd put a Tigershark in there..but don't know if that is an option the shops do...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I was thinking of posing virtually the same question, so you saved me the bother, although I am a 5ft 8 and 72kg bloke, so not quite the same.

Something I noticed is that their cheaper "sports" range includes some skis that are well above snow plough beginner stage. eg, they have the Rossi Attraxion III, which is in the Expert range at Twinner Sports. And they have the equivalent men's ski, the Rossi Z3. You and your wife could hire these for €90 (€45 each), for skis and poles.

I am currently trying to decide whether I need to go for the performance range at all. I ski reds and easy blacks, but like a forgiving ski. I might start with the sports range then pay the extra to upgrade to the performance range if I find the Rossi III/Z3 are not good enough.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ringingmaster, unquestionably the Z9 (but I am biased against Dynastar). I would think you'd probably enjoy the Oversize Rossi as well but they don't offer it.

koru, that'll demonstrate why "expetr" is such a badly used term. In no way shape or form is a Rossi Attraxion an "expert " ski. (Nor indeed a Z3). That said, I would definitely pay the extra - you will find the skis more fun, secure and rewarding.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under a new name wrote:

koru, that'll demonstrate why "expetr" is such a badly used term. .

It'll also demonstrate why its a badly spelled term (says the king of the fat fingered) wink
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Z9 is good, but a bit too "shaped" for you IMV. I think that the Salomon W12 is a good piste ski that will be more forgiving to a "less refined" skier -
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
[quote="under a new name"][b]koru[/b], that'll demonstrate why "expetr" is such a badly used term. In no way shape or form is a Rossi Attraxion an "expert " ski. (Nor indeed a Z3). That said, I would definitely pay the extra - you will find the skis more fun, secure and rewarding.[/quote] Thanks for the advice. I certainly agree the III and Z3 are not Expert level (Twinner should be spurned as rip off merchants for putting them in that category). However, they might be fine for me and the wife. For instance, a few weeks back we tried Volkl Tiger R1 skis and liked them. I had the impression they are at a fairly similar level to the Z3 and III. I can always pay the extra to upgrade to the Z9 or Contact 9. (Pity they don't offer the Z6, which actually sounds like it would be a good bet for me.)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ringingmaster, the Z9's or the Contact 10's
snow report
Interestingly, Snowbrainer classes the Attraxion III in their Gold category and the Z3 in their High Performance Plus category (Gold is for Europe, HPP is for USA). They put the Tiger R1 in their Silver category. Even if Snowbrainer are also overegging it, like Twinner, I think that has convinced me to go for the III/Z3 then upgrade only if necessary.

Hmm, €82 for the Attraxion III at Snowbrainer (after a discount of 38%!), or €45 at Ski Republic (as long as you are hiring for two). Amazing!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy