Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resorts open 25/26th April that I can get to from Genvea quickly

Poster: A snowHead
The wife has kindly allowed me one more ski weekend this season. So the best flight I can get is Stansted to Geneva on Friday 24th and back Sunday night on the 26th providing I can find a few others to come along with me. So does someone know a resort which is open and near Geneva that I can to quickly. Thanks... Laughing

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 22-03-09 23:11; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not sure on their closing dates, but you could check out Cervinia and Chamonix, I imagine they are the closest two with possible skiing.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Looked at Cervinia and it is open, but would have to fly to Milan as no well timed flights to Turin Friday evening. Been there a couple of times and that is a fall back option. Chamonix might be worth looking at. Only1 hour away as well.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Trumpton, I was thinking of Cervinia via Geneva and the Mont-blanc tunnel, but it might be a bit on the long side for a weekend. Tignes is another obvious solution, or equally what about Val Thorens and meet up with the others on the ESOB?

Is Avoriaz still open then? That would only be an hour(ish).
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Have you looked at the deals Mountain Sun are doing for that time in Tignes, starting at £79 for 3 nights catered including transfers.

I'm booked in from the Thursday to Sunday. Done some more research since booking and it all looks good.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Verbier's still open.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Trumpton, depends what sort of skiing you are after - I understand that the Grand Montets in Chamonix is open then, but most of the French areas within easy reach of Geneva will be closed. Avoriaz closes 27th - you could be very lucky there, if there's some late snow, but with the Mountain Sun system I'd go for Tignes if you want to book now and be pretty sure of good snow.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'd go to Tignes.. FYI Paradiski's last day is 25th April and I'm sure a lot of the other large domains are similar, or perhaps even a week earlier if poorer snow record.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Shame Paradiskis ski shuts on the 25th and not the 26th... Will look at that Mountain Sun for Tignes. Thanks
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Trumpton,

Just got back from a weekend in Tignes with mountain sun.

Can say I had a great time, comfortable chalet hotel, nice staff, good food.

The chalet is quite low (1850 compared to the main tignes resorts 2100) which probably means it won't be ski to the door in late April, but the ski bus stop is right outside!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w, Grands Montets scheduled to close May 10 (or 11?)

Ray Zorro, bertie bassett, PDS have extended their season (I wasn't aware they could do that...) and I think the original closing date was 27th, so it's been extended beyond that...

Trumpton, Friday to Sunday, unless you love driving - or find a different airport, I'd say Chamonix and the Grands Montets your best bet. You'll want a bit of altitude and I wouldn't want the drive to Tignes myself.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Know what you mean about the distance to Tignes. Via Michelin reckons over 2 hours. Done Lyon to Val d'Isere once. Just checked the PDS site and it is open, will se the distances on that. Looking at plan 'B' and might do Munich -> Obertauern.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Flaine and Chamonix are both still open that weekend (as is PDS as you mention)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Is the whole of the PDS open till that weekend? I would have thought the likes of Morzine/Les Gets would be closing a bit earlier than that.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bambi on ice wrote:
The chalet is quite low (1850 compared to the main tignes resorts 2100) which probably means it won't be ski to the door in late April, but the ski bus stop is right outside!

Who knows that late in the season but we could last year Toofy Grin and hoping to be able to that weekend this year snowHead

4th trip with mountain sun who have always been excellent
ski holidays
pam w, Apparently so...I think this is the longest that all the links have been open in my memory (since 1988)...
snow report
well according to this site the Grand Massif, Morzine and Les Gets close on 19 April.
http://www.radiofrance.fr/chaines/france-bleu/?nr=81fe1ece4bb388100a942535b9caab77&e946187b2dd59efb944571ed591e84d7_container_mode=item&e946187b2dd59efb944571ed591e84d7_container_id=66243
ski holidays
Grand Massif yes but Flaine no...stays open a further week....
latest report
Grand Massif yes but Flaine no...stays open a further week....
latest report
Quote:

The chalet is quite low (1850 compared to the main tignes resorts 2100) which probably means it won't be (possible) ski to the door in late April, but the
ski bus stop is right outside!

You will definitely be skiing back to Tignes les Boisses at 1800m. They do a great job of keeping the runs open, plus the bottom bit of the runs to there are shaded by trees, which helps to keep the snow.

Also, just been checking dates on my photos and can confirm that on 4th May last year it was possible to ski back to Tignes Les Brevieres at 1500m. Mush by the bottom but great fun.
snow report
Our £79 (including transfers - £15 supplement for Fri & Sat nights) special offer in Tignes is taking place during this period...http://www.mountainsunltd.com/special_offers/view/tignes---spring-short-breaks .

Tignes not particularly near Geneva of course! But you'll get three days on the hill nevertheless snowHead
latest report
I have no commercial axe to grind here, but have to say that the Mountainsun transfers are absolutely the best value.
snow report
Trumpton, Three Valleys will still be open.
latest report
Quote:

Three Valleys will still be open.

But the lower reaches could well be pretty slushy. I've only done one late 3 Valley trip - on a mid-April Easter weekend to Courchevel 1650. Very slushy one day, a very rainy afternoon then it turned to snow overnight - but slushy again quickly - and I'd definitely not have wanted to be down in Meribel. Though come to think of it, I wouldn't specially want to be down in Meribel any other time of year either. wink
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Three Valleys will still be open.

But the lower reaches could well be pretty slushy. I've only done one late 3 Valley trip - on a mid-April Easter weekend to Courchevel 1650. Very slushy one day, a very rainy afternoon then it turned to snow overnight - but slushy again quickly - and I'd definitely not have wanted to be down in Meribel. Though come to think of it, I wouldn't specially want to be down in Meribel any other time of year either. wink

Yes, it will be slushy.... but I love slush. I'll be skiing until the final day, but probably stick to Mottaret and above
snow conditions
Actually, I quite like slush too. But I don't like the early morning icy ruts.
latest report
pam w, I think that sites out of date. I know it was only last week that they extended their opening (closing?) dates.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy