Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SNOWHEADS OFFER ON BASE REPAIR PISTOL

Poster: A snowHead
For the DIY tuner/repairer that handles multiple skis/boards etc there's a new tool on the market which brings the speed/strength associated with the fully welded repair obtained from a base repair pistol without the need to purchase a £200+ pro tool from the likes of Tec, Montana or Wintersteiger etc.

The Skimender RP100 is made by the same company that produces the market leading TEC350se pistol that's used by most of the trade & it uses the same 11.5mm p-tex rods.

Now it ain't a pro tool that'll go from cold to full 280C temp in a minute & that's designed to be used all day every day. I've been testing th RP100 for a couple of months & what it is is a perfect light duty base repair pistol for the DIY tuner to undertake proper 'welded' base repairs with without braking the bank. It runs a tad cooler than a pro tool but that greatly reduces the chance of an inexperienced user cooking things. It'll certainly allow you to make shallower repairs that give unsufficient purchase when using dripped candles etc.

Plug in and leave the pistol stand for 15 minutes for the 225C heating element to melt the welding rod. First clean/degrease the repair area with wax remover. Use the pistol tip under slight pressure to massage the base repair area until the base material has starts to get sticky & can be moved around. Squeeze the trigger & the heated tip will extrude and smear the liquified material into the repair. Leave to fully cool & harden (at least an hour) then remove the excess p-tex in thin layers with a sharp chisel until flush with the ski base. Then give the area a light longitudinal sanding to add some structure. Job done.

Myself & other leading retailers should have them in stock mid/end Feb & the price will be £50 but snowHeads can have a 10% discount for orders placed with me by the end of March. Snowheads will still receive it's usual commission on the discounted price.

I've got a pic somewhere.....

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 5-03-09 22:00; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
And here it is......

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 5-02-09 22:20; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Much better than ptex candles.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar, but the downside is that you don't get to play with fire!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
spyderjon, this lot can't successfully play with themselves wink and you suggest adding fire to their abuse?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
spyderjon wrote:
rob@rar, but the downside is that you don't get to play with fire!
I use a portable burner powered by gas to melt ptex ribbon - much better than a silly little flame atop a ptex candle Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What's it like on a subbies tits? Laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
spyderjon, could be interesting
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
what 'depth' of gouges does this work up to??

Reckon I'd be up for one spyderjon, are you still working up the road occasionally as there are a few other bits I need....

Cheers,

greg
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Do the welds hold? My ptex drip repairs usually rip out within a couple of days so this could be interesting if it substantiially boosts life span.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kitenski, no problem up to core shot depth, although if a lot of core was showing you'd need to apply a thin foundation layer of metalgrip first as p-tex won't stick to the core or metal edge whether it's been welded or dripped. No need to build up deep repairs in layers like you would with a candle. Yep I still go to Harewood a couple of times a month so my usual FOC delivery service would be available for you.

fatbob, welded repairs last waaay longer as, as the name suggests, you're actually melting the existing base material along with the repair material to get obtain one cohesive bond with no joint line. The p-tex rods & ribbons used for welded repairs don't have a added wax/carbon content to get them to burn but which also hampers the bond. You can also fill a lot shallower grooves that a candle repair would easily pull out of.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 6-02-09 18:17; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
spyderjon, Would it portable enough to take on a trip..? weight/size.. and where do you get the ribbon..?
Are there various options on the P-tex grade ribbon.. for those of use who like to gouge their bases ..?? Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
spyderjon, something else to add to my ever increasing ski tuning kit - brilliant! Very Happy Gonna have to get me a bigger tool box!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JT, yep, portable enough. You get the p-tex rods from me also. I think that the pistols will come with a black & clear rod. Extras rods are £4 for a pack of 5 but there's no dizzy on them. Rods are 100% extruded p-tex & don't have a grade but they're a lot tougher than a candle.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Pistols now in stock. I've PM'd/emailed those who've already shown interested or ordered.

For anyone else ordering please PM/email me to get the snowHeads special offer price (my online shop won't give the discount) & I'll email out an invoice. Pistol comes with 4 short clear rods only. Additional long rods are a £4 for a pack of 5 & are in available in back or clear.
snow report
spyderjon, will this take the usual round ptex rods?
latest report
Hofmeister, nope, it takes larger 11.5mm diameter rods without the wax content found in ptex candles. Conventional candles would fall straight through the feed mechanism. They'd also smoke badly due to the wax content that helps them burn.
snow conditions
spyderjon, thanks, pm on its way
snow report
Spyderjon, I'll take one. Also need an iron too at the same time
snow report
madmole, sorry, I know that we've done business before but I can't remember who you are. Please PM me your email address.
snow conditions
I've tried pm'ing you about it but it just seems to be sitting in my outbox. Is your inbox full or should i just try sending it again?
latest report
el nombre wrote:
I've tried pm'ing you about it but it just seems to be sitting in my outbox. Is your inbox full or should i just try sending it again?

I wouldn't worry, Spyderjon is away this week, think he returns today.
latest report
el nombre, the PM will stay in your outbox until spyderjon reads it, at that point it will move to your sentbox.
I think he's away skiing this week so give him a few days to reply.
snow report
Everyone.
I have bought one of these from spyderjon. It works really well and is a massive step up from using p-tex candles. Well worth the money, especially if you have the whole families skis to look after, like I do.
ski holidays
spyderjon, have pm'ed you re one of these
ski holidays
skitow, I haven't used mine yet. I've just dug a stone tip out of the base of my week old darlings but am waiting for a mate to bring his gfs skis up so I can do them at the same time. She has a big gauge down the side of the edge... the typical repair that often scrapes out when repaired with candles so I can't wait to see what the new toy does Cool
latest report
Quote:

waiting for a mate to bring his gfs skis up so I can do them at the same time.

Do hers first you mean Twisted Evil
ski holidays
RPF, Honestly... I have my battered old B2s to practice on Embarassed Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hello Jon

I will take one of these. Plus a pack of the transparent candles.

Can you have a look at this:

The ski suffered quite a deep gouge. You can see how much damage has been done to the base edge as well.

I've filled this in with the Kunzman repairs candles I got from you.

I did not use metal grip - I have never heard of it before.

Should I cut out the repair and start again? i.e. apply the metal grip and then use the Skimender RP100 repair gun?

On another note, if you are away skiiing and you need to do a repair with one of the repair candles, what you use to light the repair candle with? I tried matches but it produces too much soot (carbon). Rather I used a blow torch we use in the kitchen for cooking - too large to take away though. It produces a clean blue flame with no carbon. Are there any lighters on the market that produce a blue flame, suitable for portable tool kit.

Cheers
snow conditions
Turbo lighters burn with a blue flame. Not sure how long they'd last using it to melt ptex candles though.
ski holidays
Bikeandsnow, Got your PM & will respond shortly.

You only need metal grip if the core or the metal edge was exposed making it difficult to get a p-tex to p-tex bond. If that was the case I'd cut it out & re-do the repair using a thin layer of metal grip as a foundation layer. The tip of the Skimender can be used to apply the metal grip but metal gri should not be used 'through' the pistol.

For lighting p-tex candles in resort I've got a standard disposable lighter in my toolbox - it takes a while to light the candle but it does work & is cheap, small & lightweight.
ski holidays
When you light the candle with a match or some other low energy source, just let it drip onto the metal scraper blade for a bit, until the cangle candle burns blue, then move it onto your base. That way you keep the gunky ptex out of the repair. Then when its cold just flex the scraper and off it comes
snow conditions
madmole, I've heard a rumour that there is a new base repair pistol on the market Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy