Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Late season skiing - is it REALLY different?

Poster: A snowHead
Well Im off to Chatel at the weekend for my second week of my very first year skiing.

The first trip was out to Chamonix in February and I think I struck it a bit lucky when it came to conditions. We had lots of snow every night and some lovely clear days. Learning in that environment was a dream and as an ex-boarder I felt like I'd fallen in love a little when I managed those first few "slightly" controlled turns down my first blue.

Now I'm going back out and my understanding from reading here and on a few other places on the web, is that I should expect:

Icy Mornings
Slushy afternoons
Only being able to ski for a few hours each day before it gets horrible

I wont deny I'm slightly concerned...Puzzled

Should I be? Is this the realm of more advanced skiiers on steeper descents? If Im only skiing the blues and (hopefully) easy reds should I be as concerned?

Am I going to fall over a lot? Shocked

Any advice, confidence building stories or just plain "stick it to 'em" truths are welcome.... Puzzled
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Markoncarp, I've skied Easter for the past 9 years, so far I've found

Some ice
Lots of fresh powder
some slush
some lovely corn

and have managed to ski all day every day of the holiday, right down to 1400m to get back home to La Tania every year.

ie stop worrying and enjoy it! One thing to learn is to follow the sun, if it has frozen overnight those pistes that get early morning sun will soften up nicely, however they will be the first to get very slushy later on....
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Now THATS the kind of advice I was looking for! Thanks for taking the time to give it (it will be dutifully followed!)

snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Markoncarp, also stay high if you can. Where are you going?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Markoncarp, personally, I don't much enjoy either the very early morning icy and scratchy stuff or the sticky porridge in the afternoon. So for me, in present conditions (17 degrees at 1650m at mid day today!) 3 - 4 hours skiing is as much as I want to do. But the weather is super - nothing as nice as having a late lunch on the terrace after giving up on the snow. You need to be aware of the aspect of runs, to choose the right aspect - south facing to soften early in the morning, north-facing to stay skiable a bit later in the day.

Some people will tell you there's no such thing as unskiable snow. Well, for me there is. I'm very happy to ski the slooshy stuff, and I love the snow like granulated sugar, but when it gets so sticky you just judder to a halt skiing down quite a noticeable slope, then I really can't be bothered.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kitenski, nicely put advice. Very Happy Hope theres lots of powder or even some this easter Smile
Markoncarp, The more varied conditions you ski the better you'll be over all. Enjoy it
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:
, but when it gets so sticky you just judder to a halt skiing down quite a noticeable slope, then I really can't be bothered.

Pam, I can't say I've ever come across such snow, care to explain a little more? Were you low down, south facing slope? Artificial snow maybe????

Cheers,

Greg
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kitenski, around 1600m, south facing slope, 1 pm. (it's my way home, so not exactly a choice). I was in a schuss - full tuck, knowing I had a long flat bit to come. A run I ski very frequently. Hit one of those sticky patches and nearly planted my face. Alarming. Then further down the same run the only way I could make progress was to ski on one edge of one ski, alternately, 30 metres or so at a time, so that all my (not inconsiderable) weight was on one narrow edge. This year it's a lot worse than the same time last year - there's plenty of depth of snow but it's just so hot the texture is deteriorating very quickly.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cheers pam w, I've skied in +17 degrees a few Easters back and never experienced anything like that!! Fingers crossed the cooling trend after Easter sunday arrives....
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
A couple of runs were like that at the bottom last week in Les Arcs, I was going along nicely then all of a sudden the brakes went on, as pam w says, it's quite alarming when it happens so suddenly.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w, was it almost water? That slows you right down!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kitenski, It's been 22c here today and over above Montchavin I managed to have one ski on ice and the other in soft slush, challenging and requiring good technique Toofy Grin
So as it was linchtime we headed to the Glacier and found some lovely on piste conditions. Off piste is not advised at the mo, see the La Plagne and Montalbert threads for pics of on piste avalanches.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Markoncarp, also stay high if you can. Where are you going?

Beanie1 , Im off to Chatel for a week. Snow forecast for the weekend so hopefully these unusually high temperatures will abate and we can get something approaching ideal conditions... I can but pray!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Icy Mornings
Slushy afternoons

One REALLY should pay more attention to slope aspect.

The east facing slopes gets the first sun. So start from the lower part of an east facing slope, move up mountain as the upper part softens. Work your way south and leave the west for the last.

North facing slopes, if they're high enough, may not thaw during the day. So there's no re-freezing overnight. Those slopes can be skied any time of the day. Though afternoon would be slightly softer than early morning.

With enough elevation difference and slope aspect, there's really no reason to limit oneself to only a few hours of skiing.

To save my legs in a week long holiday, I sometimes prefer to download at the end of the day to avoid the heavy brown gravy at the bottom of the mountain. Sad

Pam's technique of staying on edge is really the best solution. Just need to use that earlier and more often whenever the snow looks too "slow". No need to be on one edge. Put both skies on edge and let them carve a long lazy arc and then change to the other edge when you run out of width.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
WRT very sticky snow, we have some at the moment. It's when some sand from the Sahara has been left on the snow ... not pleasant, but better not to go too fast at it, then the braking effect isn't so shocking.
snow report
I had sticky snow last week which wasn't very pleasant (though only at lower levels). I did wonder whether having my skis properly waxed would have helped but I didn't get round to testing that.
latest report
espri wrote:
I had sticky snow last week which wasn't very pleasant (though only at lower levels). I did wonder whether having my skis properly waxed would have helped but I didn't get round to testing that.

I think Zardoz notwax is supposed to be particularly good in wet spring snow. It was great on the perfect pistes a month ago I'll find out next week Very Happy
latest report
easiski wrote:
It's when some sand from the Sahara has been left on the snow

Never thought of that. I suppose it's obvious: it settles here sometimes and the Alps are a lot closer.
ski holidays
RPF, It's Gods own lube of choice Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Markoncarp wrote:

Well Im off to Chatel at the weekend for my second week of my very first year skiing.

Icy Mornings
Slushy afternoons

Yes it will be like that, but you'll still have fun! I personally wouldn't choose mid-April, especially not to go to a PdeS resort, but it's better than not going at all I guess...
snow report
red 27, sssshhh! I'm off to Avoriaz next week and I'm convincing myself that temps are going to plummet and there's going to be a huge dump just before I arrive Madeye-Smiley
latest report
With respect to Aspect (ch-ch-ch-check it aht! - Madeye-Smiley) I have just learned that Pre-la-joux has Northern slopes. This is where the kids are having their lessons all week so I hope that we will be OK with the amount of time we can ski for.

Thanks all for this. Really appreciated.
snow report
Scarpa wrote:
RPF, It's Gods own lube of choice Madeye-Smiley

I know Spyderjon is all knowing when it comes to ski tuning and waxing, but refering to him as a "God" is a bit too much Scarpa.......he'll never get his head through the door!!! Very Happy Very Happy wink wink wink
latest report
Sleipnir, You can use it for skis too Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Thanks for the advice all. Today is the day of the trip so I should be able to comment on my own post quite soon. Lessons booked and paid for so hopefully they shall provide some enlightenment....

Blush
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy