Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowsure family resort for first week April, 2010

Poster: A snowHead
Gotta go skiing in school hols next year, as junior will have started school. 3rd April is the first week of the hols.

Not looking for enormous amount of skiing, just plenty snow and family friendly resort. Any tips would be appreciated!

Many thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lorenzo, Saas Fee would fit the bill, good late season snow and a very nice village for the family with other things to do off slope like the tobogganing/walking hill. Its got about 4m of snow there at the moment! Bit of a long transfer from Geneva is the main drawback and not one for high mileage piste bashers. Otherwise Zell Am Zee with Kaprun glacier is a good bet.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lorenzo, Primary school or secondary?

Always a contoversial subject, but if primary what's the Education Authority/Schools view on hols in term time?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
check your dates
i am booked with daughter 28th march to 4th april at Montgenevre
that gets us back easter Sunday and uses the first week of holidays
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lech, Saas Fee, Zermat, Ischgl, Obergurgl, Obertauern.... Zell fine but if snow is poor in the salzburger area there can be huge queues to get up the glacier and a complete free for all for buses on the way home.... everyone from Maria Alm / Zell / Kaprun / Dienten / Rauris / and half of Austria tries to make it to eh Kitz in crap snow.... personally i love Zell and it's my wifes favourite resort but in the past when we've gone at Easter I've made do with the slush of Zells slopes for 5 out of 6 days rather than try and fight my way up the glacier and queue for hours for lifts and food / drink when up there..... snows great though!!!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
cockerhoop wrote:
check your dates
i am booked with daughter 28th march to 4th april at Montgenevre
that gets us back easter Sunday and uses the first week of holidays

Ah, but we are in Scotland. A pity, as a week earlier would be better!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Boris wrote:
Lorenzo, Primary school or secondary?

Always a contoversial subject, but if primary what's the Education Authority/Schools view on hols in term time?

I have thought about this one - it is recorded as "unauthorised absence". She hasn't actually started yet, so I don't have a feel for whether we can take her out. I know it would have no effect whatsoever on her education at that age, but don't really want start off school on the wrong foot. Will think about this some more, depending on the options available for April!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SnowGod wrote:
Lech, Saas Fee, Zermat, Ischgl, Obergurgl, Obertauern.... Zell fine

Thanks for the list - I will work my way through brochure! Obergurgl caught my eye already, as it reports a good snow record and lots of ski to door.

How guaranteed is the snow in these places - does snowSURE really mean what it says? I would hate to pay the exhorbitant cost of a ski holiday, just to end up with a sun holiday!!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lorenzo, worth checking with the school - ot does differ from place to place - but our school allows up to 10 days per year if agreed in advance. Very handy for mid-Jan trip!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
lorenzo (no reference to a night club at Dunfremline i hope?)
i did that last year i was not aware that the kids broke up the day before good friday and booked a week at Livigno
£265 for me and daughter
she had to take 3 1/2 days off i put a letter in and it was ok
the week we have booked next year at Montgenevre in the new apts was only £340 each flying from Manchester
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lorenzo,
I have been skiing in April every year for about ten years and I would say that the snow should be fine in most places. I have only been to resorts with glaciers twice in that time. A couple of years the snow was average to indifferent but perfectly skiable with excellent skiing still on a few higher slopes. The rest of the time I would say I had good to excellent conditions.
Personally I would always choose a resort with some North facing skiing and a reasonable amount above 2000m. In most resorts that I have visited you can always ski back to the resort at the beginning of April though in lower resorts in a poor year you will be reliant on man made snow and you may be water skiing after 10 am at the bottom.
Obergurgl sounds an excellent place for what you say you require, it has a reputation for being a bit pricy by Austrian standards, but everyone I know who has been has been pleased.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lorenzo wrote:
I know it would have no effect whatsoever on her education at that age.

Then take her out - even if they refuse to authorise it (which they probably won't). Theoretically they can fine you, but that is only likely if you are a serial offender in the same year.

"Unauthorised absences" count against the school, which means they are incluined to authorise it if you make it clear you are going anyhow.

We notify the school in September about the coming seasons absence - they've always authorised it no question even though they say they may ask us in for an meeting with the head.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 10-03-09 16:40; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
forgot to say after i made the mistake of booking a week early i phoned travel agent to see what the price would be a week later
it was £450 each, hence we went term time
hearing some horrendous stories of people trying book next feb half term, ie cannot get a weeks hald board with full ski, pass and school for £3500 for a family of 4
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lorenzo, not particularly family-friendlybut definitely snow-sure: Tignes/VDI or Val Thorens, perhaps better Courchevel 1850?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
we take our son out of primary school for one weeks ski each year. We apply to the head for permission and she usually grants it with no questions. I think she must be a skier as she did once say to us "oh no - you cant go skiing in half term, you are going to ski not to stand around in queues !!! " LOL Very Happy
snow report
In my experience, Cervinia is very family friendly and snow-sure (I've skiied there in July!) You have the Zermatt side of the Alps for that North Facing slopes, but they maintain the easier runs on the Italian side very well, except for the last part of the run into the village where it can get slushy.

Junior Ski-School, and Snow-Creche are well run and organised and the ice skating, air-boarding, Bowling alley etc are brilliant for Children. I'd advise you to organise the trip yourself, flying to Turin/Milan and driving up to the resort to somewhere like a family run hotel on the outskirts of the village, this means they will drive you to and from the ski-shop/cable car station avoiding the worst steps and path I've ever seen... also I've found they can organise better prices for ski-hire etc and April is one of their discounted times

Typically the Italians are great with kids and the restaurants will do their best to accomodate their food.

let me know if you want any other suggestions
snow conditions
Lorenzo, 1st two weeks in Scotland are official school holidays, regardless of when Easter occurs. The idea was to clamp down on unscrupulous travel companies who ramp up their prices at school holiday times - and guess what they did, yup they ramped up their prices first two weeks and at Easter if it fell outwith.
Anyhoo back to original question - apart from the obvious French high altitude resorts, add Obergurgl, Serfaus and if you have a big budget Oberlech. Stuben is a bit of a gem, having just spent a week there - quiet ski school, great snow record, queit village but great value considering you have some of the best ski resorts in the planet on your doorstep (St Anton and Lech). Would not recommend Ischgl for a family trip, but Kappl down the road may suit better. Would also be very surprised if Zell am See had good snow low down in April
snow report
See if you can get out now. Best winter in years.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy