Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow, Piste-ing and Freeze Thaw

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
This may be a daft question but I honestly have no clue.

There has been bundles of snow this season, as we all know and have experienced. Brilliant.

Now every Easter we do our family week together and every Easter we have freeze-thaw conditions where its icy as **** in the morning, a short period of ideal conditions and then slush til you can't take anymore. We are also lucky that we have every year have fresh snow at some point. So here's the query.

Let's say it doesnt snow again this season. Because the base is so deep this year does this have a bearing on a piste being icy like past years? Does it avoid getting icy because the piste bashers soften up the copious base layer.

In short - is this Easter likely to be any different based on the assumption of no more fresh snow?

Sorry folks wrong Section. How do I move it to Snow Reports?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Peter Leuzzi, here's my theory.

Snow depth for piste skiing is not terribly important on an acute basis. It's only the top 30cm or so that matters - so if you have 30cm, you're OK. Any more is unnecessary.

So, the current quantity of snow won't affect your Easter situation. It will be exactly as normal, unless it snows. Piste bashers don't soften anything up.

I think.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No the top layer thawing and then freezing over night is what causes the 'icy' pistes. The only reasons why the pistes wouldn't be as icy, is if you get fresh snowfall or the temperature range between and night and day is low. If the temperature range is lower then the less free-thaw and the pistes will be in better conditions.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wot Christopher, said.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Peter Leuzzi,
I think it may depend a bit on where you ski.

In my experience it probably does make a difference. This process happens as you state but it happens at different times at different times of the day therefore the more extensive the areas covered the moe opportunity there is to hit the right altitude and aspect at the right time.
The other factor is that skiers have a considerable effect on the snow and the the wider the area covered the less the skiers are herded into one area so the less it is chewn up. My general observation is that the more snow there has been the better the conditions at Easter though there is no substitite for fresh snow and lower temps.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Head on the Northern slopes in the morning as they get hit by the sun, and then head on the southern slopes in the afternoon is my theory, but this is the first time I'm actually skiing at a mountain where I won't be on just a few runs during Easter (East Coast in the US during Easter = stinks).
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Peter, I love Easter, the trick is to ski the runs that get the sun first thing, as they soften up first, then if it warms up, ski the runs out of the sun that haven't slushed up....

Or get some fat skis and bash thru the slush, slushy moguls are great fun Smile
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
yep... follow the sun round the mountain is the best advice i can give...

.... its temps that give freeze thaw so if it stays warm at night the pistes don't freeze and if it stays cold in the day they don't thaw... usually the reverse is true at easter though and you get freeze thaw. Having said that we've experienced perfect snow in both saas fee and cervinia at easter before... but usually get freeze thaw wherever we are. Higher altitude and north facing slopes is better as it stays colder so freeze thaw conditions less prevalent....

In terms of snow depth I don't believe it effects freeze thaw but what is does effect is snow cover on the pistes... so somewhere high in France or somewhere like Zermatt and a lot of snow depth is needed to cover the craggy rock bases of the pistes... even 1.5m can still leave exposed rocks in the runs..... go to a lot of austria and the pistes are on grassy pastureland so 20cm cover is complete...

The nice thing about freeze thaw is it gives "firn" snow which is great for off piste touring if you're with an experienced guide and have the snow cover. I've found some great touring in Salzburgerland at Easter on "firn"
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SnowGod, we are in the 3V for Easter, so there will be snow. Are you suggesting north facing slopes in the morning and south in the pm?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes... North and East facing in the morning cos the sun comes up in the east and moves round... then South and west later on.... should get the best available conditions for the longest possible time if u do that....
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Peter Leuzzi, alternatively avoid the shaded slopes in the morning and ski the slopes which have sun on them, and keep following the sun as it moves around the mountains. All this 'points of the compass' stuff gets me confused Very Happy especially as I do not normally have a compass with me Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SnowGod, wrong way round if it's frozen overnight, you want sunnniest slopes earliest.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name, yes indeed Very Happy e.g. Gampen, Galzig, Rendl for St Anton Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rayscoops, haven't been 'm afraid...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I agree that the best way is usually East to South to West with North being last but often good at any time if it has not melted previously. But there is also a lot of suck it and see depending on altitude, strength of sun, overnight temps etc. It is not uncommmon to get one side of a piste slushy and the other frozen at this time of the year if there is tree cover for instance blocking the sun from part of the piste.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy