Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are there any independent ski schools in Mottaret?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've had members of next week's group asking about sorting out lessons and suddenly I got this strong recollection from a couple of years ago of 'Princess Pout' on the ESF counter in the tourist office behaving like her position between us and the instructors was nought but a dreadful inconvenience.

Perhaps she can gat away with this because there is no local competition. (or perhaps she's not there now and has been replaced by 'Princess Please Can I Help U')

Anyway, fore-warned is four-armed Wink
I know Magic in Motion are down in Meribel proper but does anyone know of any independent ski schools in Mottaret itself?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
u brain, is getting down to Meribel for lessons an issue? I'd go with New Generation if I was them. From Mottaret it's the easiest of easy green runs down to the meeting point at Chaudanne. Best to ring the school direct to book rather than going through tourist info.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=76166&highlight=generation#76166
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A hard taskmaster, but if anyone's interested in race training I would recommend Meribel-based Alain Falcoz, excellent English. I've seen him work on the Tignes glacier a few times (he's trained hannou there) and over in Austria. He gets results, but doesn't mince his words...

Not for the faint-hearted, lazy, or anyone with delusions about just how good they are!

Mobile +33 [0]6.60.38.37.39 or +33 [0]4.79.00.37.39
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
u brain, we're booked in with New Gen for later in Jan.....if your gang end up going with them I'd be interested in some feedback! We're booked into a clinic with someone called Neil....
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
homphomp,

I did NewGen's 2 day 'Level 7' off-piste clinic with Neil Milne at Meribel last year (if it's the same Neil). I thought he was a good teacher, with us it was more far 'coaching' than teaching and I picked up a lot of techniques and tips that made an immediate improvement to my skiing. New Gen are very much preaching the 'new school' style (exactly as ssh explained well here), so a wider stance, much less weighting/unweighting than I was used to, controlling your turn shapes to suit the snow and terrain, and letting modern skis do the work. Which may be a little bit of culture shock (it was for me!) if you're used to traditional European resort schools.

My only criticisms are that (i) the class was a little too big (6 or 7 people in my case), I'd have preferred a smaller class of 3 to 4 to get more individual feedback. The class size was as advertised though, so I can't complain they didn't tell me, and (ii) the ability levels in the group hadn't been screened well enough beforehand - despite the Level 7 tag on the class ("I can ski most places. Blacks are no problem and I enjoy off-piste"), some of them had hardly been off-piste before and their nervousness held the rest back a little, I for one had been expecting to be pushed harder.

Oh, Neil didn't quite get us "lost" but he did lead us a bit too far off the side of map in the pursuit of fresh snow, and we ended up with a rather longer hike through the St Martin De Belleville valley than he'd bargained for. To get back to the lift we had half-an hour through mud, cowsheds and farmer's back-gardens with much p1ss-taking of the guide from the paying students at the back....

Otherwise, I'd recommend New Gen, and would use them again - despite those quibbles it was money and time well spent for me.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
johnnyrotten, Cheers....we're booked in for the level 6 clinic - off piste is definitely still a mystery! - according the the website there are only three people booked in so I hope they don't cancel and we'll get lots of personal attention.

U brain Sorry to hijack your thread!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I know I'm a bit late on this one, but there are quite a few independent ski schools that work out of Meribel but not many that work out of Mottaret itself. It's not difficult to get down to Meribel Chaudanne though.

Ski Academy runs out of Meribel and Courchevel for example. They have groups for adults and children running in both resorts, and privates can start in Mottaret if needed. To contact them it's meribel@ski-academy.com or www.ski-academy.com
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy