Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice sought - first ever family ski trip: ski lessons

Poster: A snowHead
Going to our first ever family ski trip to Val Thorens in March (a family of 2 adults and a 7yo child - all complete beginners).

We are thinking of booking shared private lessons for 3 of us:
6 afternoon lessons x 1,5 hr

The questions are:

1. would the private lessons with skiers of differing age work?

2. would 1.5 hrs lessons a day be enough?

3. would afternoon lessons work? what is the best way to organize our day routine?

4. There are 4 ski school in TV:
- ESF
- Prosneige
- Free School Attitude
- Ski Cool
Can anyone recommend either of these school / instructor?

5. Lift passes:
SETAM provides a reduced lift fee for the beginners:
-Free access to two chairlifts and one magic carpet ride for beginners.
-Beginners’ pass that provides access to the 2 Lacs chairlift and the Caim/Caron gondolas
Would any of these suit us or do we still need a local area lift pass?

Would welcome anybodies comments / experiences...

Advice greatly appreciated.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Rather depends on your 7yo. I may well be inclined to book him/her into a series of group lessons and then book some private lessons for the adults. At 7 I wouldn't be surprised if s/he gets on a bit quicker than you and our kids enjoy the social side of group lessons (esp if you are going outside school hols when it will be quieter and the classes may well be not as full. Teaching kids is a whole different ball game to adults and whilst I'm sure instructors would give it a go I wouldn't have thought it ideal. When we've booked lessons they've tended to be in the mornings which can result in a frantic scramble to be up, fed, booted etc and be at the meeting point by 09.00. Depends on how much you like your lie-ins and how far you are from ski school meeting point.

Can't really see any problems with afternoon lessons if you're all beginners - the main issue would be it limiting where you can go in the morning if you have to get back for lessons. With younger kids I might worry about them tiring earlier in the afternoon if you've been practicing in the morning but if your 7 yo is anything like mine you'll tire first!

Re the beginner lift pass - rather depends how much cheaper it is - if lots then it would probably be worth getting this and then you could top up towards the end of the week if you really get on. Have a look at the lift prices and do some workings out to check what you'll save. I'm afraid I don't know VT but I am sure someone will be along soon who does and they can tell you if the free lifts will keep you occupied.

I am sure you'll have a fantastic time!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have done a child and his parents, and its awkward but possible to do it.
It's likely the young one will learn faster then you... which will be beneficial to neither you or your young one.

Wether i'd recomment group or private lessons depends on groupsize (max 8, i seen 14 kids with an ESF instructor and thats a no-go!) and how sporty you are.

Strong athletic people need a lot less excersize and will benefit from private more, less sporty people need more excersize and don't suffer much due to less facetime with the instructor while practicing.

At 3 people, group lessons or private should differ not so much in price on the whole.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
z, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

I think at that age, kids and parents are better separate. I think they learn in completely different ways. They'll just do it, you'll want to be convinced it's a good idea (probably)!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
z, hello. Problem is, everyone is different, especially 7 yos. My advice, based on my experience with my own kids, now 14 and seeing chums' kids, is this.

1. An introductory family private lesson might be a good wheeze, especially if you haven't skied at all before, to find out which way the skis point (sharp end forwards), maybe how to use lifts, that sort of thing. If nothing else, seeing his parents falling over every 30 seconds will give your son enormous pleasure and confidence. After that, I suspect that it might not work so well, as kids and adults seem to learn in different ways (so I'm told, and I can see it) and kids are often faster learners. Note that some instructors are reluctant to mix adults and kids. You may well find that your son prefers lessons in the company of other kids; they are less intensive and there's more arsing around.

(BTW, when Ronald says 'I have done a child and his parents, and its awkward but possible to do it.', he means he's given them ski lessons (I hope).)

2. Personally, I'd go for more than 1.5 hours/day. I'd go for all dayers, but not necessarily every day. You should allow some time for your family to ski together; you might not get very far, but it'll be a laugh. Try to keep the lesson plan flexible, not always easy in Europe, and be prepared to 'waste' a lesson if someone really isn't up for it.

3. On the first day, the ski school will probably want you to turn up in the morning to allocate you to a group. Nothing wrong with afternoon lessons, so long as you don't overdo it at lunchtime, although if you are only going to do a half day, you might want to have the afternoon to practice, rather than leaving it until the next morning. The advantage is that you avoid the rush in the morning to be at ski school on time. Don't underestimate how long it will take you to get kitted up and to the ski school, especially with a 7 yo.

4.5. No idea. I expect that you'll outgrow the free lifts in a day or two, and quite possibly the others you mention by the end of the week (I know VT hardly at all, so that's a guess). The best thing is to ask the ski school; if they are likely to take you elsewhere, you'll need another pass. I don't think that you'll need a 3V pass, although you might well venture into another valley by the end of the week (you can buy an extension if you do).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
we had lessons along with our 7 and 9 year old boys, on a dry slope (group lessons). It didn't work for the 7 year old, because being told something like "try to keep your weight on the uphill edge of your downhill ski" were just lost on him. The 9 year old was fine, and loved the lessons. I agree that one lesson together might work - and they do indeed love to see their parents falling over - but a group course would be better for him. Our 7 year old subsequently got on really well in a group lesson in Austria, even though he was the only English child in the group (and much the oldest!). You and your OH will be able to get on much better in your private lesson if your son is off with an expert for a few hours each day, so you can relinquish all responsibility for him. as others have said, he'll be skiing rings round you by the end of the week.

Have a great time - and please come and tell us about it afterwards. snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Prosneige usually gets a good rep on here from VT regulars...but as complete beginners then ESF will probably do you fine as well.

I wouldn't buy lift passes until you've chatted to the ski-school. It's unlikely that in the 1st 2-3 days you'll get off the nursery slopes, and so the cheaper pass might be good enough for the first few days. In Les Arcs for example there is always on lift that's free on sat/sunday and is good for people on their 2nd or 3rd day - something similar might apply in VT - although I don't know that resort.

Oh and relax and enjoy the holiday - too many times over the last few weeks I've heard raised voices from british families shouting at each other...you're on holiday and in the mountains...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
richmond wrote:

(BTW, when Ronald says 'I have done a child and his parents, and its awkward but possible to do it.', he means he's given them ski lessons (I hope).)

Indeed... sometimes things get out a bit awkwardly, but yes I teached.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We are off to Chamonix next week and have booked a couple of days private lessons with BASS. They reccomended the adults and kids together (they call it a family package) as, although we are absolute begginers, they thought it would be good for my wife and I to have an idea of what to practice with the kids "between" the two days lessons.

Im hoping that the six hours over two days will be enough to allow us to spend the rest of the week improving but I have allowed for the fact that I "might" put the kids into group lessons for the rest of the week. That is, of course, if there are any places available as we are going to be there for half term.....

Its really quite a condundrum all this learning... Cant wait for it to be less of one... Razz

incedentally, we are two adults and two children (6 and 8 )
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
z, Take group lessons with whatever ski school does smaller classes. If there isn't one in VT then go to ProNeige. Just join in and go where they point you. You'll have plenty of time to practise together in the afternoon, so it's not as though you'll never ski together. With a child as young as 7 it never works for a week. Family lessons are great for just one or two, but not for a whole week. I don't believe any of us would teach a 7 year old the same way you teach adults or vice versa.

As beginners you'll need lessons every day for this holiday and the next one at the very least. Private lessons are fine, but are more useful for experienced skiers, unless the beginner is exceptional (National level) at another sport in which case they'll learn too fast for others in the class. This is the most important week in your skiing life, so it's important to get it right.

Markoncarp, I would expect to tell 'my' parents what to do with the kids at the end of their lesson when they pick them up.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I would expect to tell 'my' parents what to do with the kids at the end of their lesson when they pick them up.

Puzzled Like "drown them!"
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
easiski wrote:

Markoncarp, I would expect to tell 'my' parents what to do with the kids at the end of their lesson when they pick them up.

The problem is that we are going Thursday - Thursday and we werent give the option of a weeks group lessons... it was private or nothing.

I'm hoping that the reputation of BASS in Chamonix is as good as everyone says and that we manage to get enough from the six hours to enjoy the rest of the trip.... You have me a little worried!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
i agree with easy ski........kids have differnt needs.....we can do.....but it is never the best result......kids surely they can improve more and have more fun if the group have their age.....and adults learn more cause they are more afraid......and alone is better......
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Many thanks everyone. Lots of good advice here.

Some other questions...

1. My son will surely enjoy the social side of group lessons, but I must admit this will make me VERY nervous about his safety. I never left my child with someone else except of one of my trusted friends/family members or the school teacher (but this was indoor, in a safe environment).

Can I stay around during the lessons just to keep my child in sight?

Embarassed

2. As a child I spent a lot of time skiing (my family is from Canada).

But that was long time ago (25 years), and a type of skiing we did was very different, on the flat surface (not sure about the correct word for that, cross-country skiing?). That's why I am considering myself as a complete beginner now.

Keeping in mind my previous experience I thought that sharing lessons with my child will give him a correct start and at the same time can refresh my own skills. He will be learning and I will be catching up... After that we can practice together. And we will stay together all the time...

3. Can anybody point me out to the site with good educational video of how to use different types of lifts, ski technique, etc. ?

Thank you.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
z, you need not have any fears for your child's safety with a locally established ski school in France - and he will be MUCH safer on the mountain with a qualified instructor, than with a parent.

The instructors I know actively discourage parents from standing round watching their kids' lessons - apart from anything else it makes the kids much more likely to whinge and moan. Also, depending on where the instructor takes them, and how fast you get on yourself, you might not be able to keep them in sight!

You will find downhill skiing in 2009 very different from cross-country skiing "on the flat" and it's quite possible your son will learn a fair bit quicker than you will.

For some useful videos, have a look at http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/skitv/default.asp?bhcp=1

Relax! He'll be fine. snowHead
snow report
I would go with the advice of no problem for the youngster being left on their own in the ski class. When they were young our boys (not always in same class) have had super ski school experiences with instructors who have had a great attitude and inventiveness in their approach to teaching. Also I have always been impressed by the instructors's attention to the safety and wellbeing of their charges throughout the day from starting off to handing them back to you.easiski, has it..this could be the start of a wonderful life-long passion for you all.
snow conditions
After all good advice here we will probably go for the group lessons now.

I still have some worries with regards to the timetable:

GROUP LESSON ADULT:
from 09:00 to 12:00

GROUP LESSON CHILD:
from 09:00 to 12:00

9.00: How do people manage to be at their own meeting point by 09.00 if they have to drop their kids to school first?

12.00: What happens if we are late from our lessons?
ski holidays
Others will chip in here but our experience has been that ski schools/instructors are cooperative in these circumstances which are not unusual i.e. parents and kids in different groups. This might explain the slow starts to lessons which can be a bit frustrating when everyone wants to get going but instructors normally would wait till everyone is gathered/collected in my experience. You'll discuss this with the skischool on the first day perhaps..maybe the parents finish a little earlier or confirm with instructor taking the youngster what will happen if delayed. Our lessons predated the arrival of mobile phones Laughing which I guess makes communication between groups easier these days.

As a parent I understand your concern and it needs to be made clear what will happen with these scenarios.
ski holidays
Aren't the meeting points usually side-by-side (approx 10m apart) if you book both sets of lessons with the same ski school Puzzled

IME it is very rare to be late back... this is France... and it's lunchtime..... wink
ski holidays
Well I got back last week from Chamonix and thought I would pass on my experiences.

1st of all, I would reccomend that people have lessons separately to their children. I know that we didn't and probably regretted it as in the end, our wonderful instructor spent far more time with the kids than my wife and I. I would highlight that one of our children is not good with "new stuff" and gets easily distressed, so needed more effort, but a separate lesson for him and his brother would definately have been the better choice.

I've already pointed out that we went Thursday-Thursday which meant that we couldnt take advantage of ski school group lessons, so were limited to private lessons. I know that if we went Sat-Sat, we would have definately have put them into group lessons.

So would I reccomend BASS and their instructors? DEFINATELY! We had DEE as an instructor and she managed to put up with all of us (including a very regularly distressed 8 year old) over the two days. By the end of the week we were all skiing Blues and the kids LOVED it. So much so, that we have just booked a friends apartment in Chatel for 11th-18th April.
snow conditions
Markoncarp, great that you got on so well. I haven't used BASS for some years, but did find them excellent. I wish they had a branch in our resort!
latest report
z, if you book with the same ski school then the meeting points will normally be next to each other.

If you're late back then either the instructor or someone from the ski school will stay with your child. There isn't any question of them just being abondoned.
snow report
z - As others have said the meeting points for the ski schools will be close together and don't worry, the instructors are all really used to families being in different classes. I would make sure you get there reasonably early the first morining and explain to both instructors that you are in different classes. After that make sure you are on time because if you are significantly late odds are the class won't wait long for you - always allow much more time than you think it's going to take to get ready/to the meeting point as, especially with kids it can take longer than you think to get organised.

If for any reason your group is late back you can always get your instructor to phone either the office or the other instructor and let them know - make a note of the name of the instructor leading your child's group just in case - however I've never known this to happen - the instructors need their lunch!
snow conditions
Quick question about private lessons.

We tried to book our kids into a 2hr private lesson but the ski school only has a 1hr slot at 1pm available. They meet at the bottom of a central lift - now I know that they will get priority in the queue, but I just wondered - will their hour start when they start getting tuition? or at the meeting point? an hour is such a short time to learn anything especially if the first 10-15 mins is spent queuing or on a lift.

Christine
snow conditions
group lessons are the best and the kids get to make friends as well as the adults
it works for me
latest report
Group lessons are best for beginners definitely - but for those of us who don't travel Sat-Sat are not an option in most resorts.

We tried a 'family' lesson last year and DH and I got kicked off after 40 mins and the instructor just took the kids. Much better, so this year we are only getting the kids a lesson (maybe 2, we want to see how much an hour does for them as its so short) and DH might have one.

I'm not fit enough to get much out of a lesson I don't think, because at my 'level' they want me to actually ski rather than 'bimble about'.

Our 'secret plan' is to see if we can do what we did last year and once we are actually in resort and an instructor has actually seen the kids and assessed them to see if they can join group lessons for a couple of days. Daughter wants to go in a group because she says she makes friends that way - but son is adamant he doesn't want to and it only works for us if they both go so that we can ski without them, and so they stay roughly the same level.

Christine
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy