Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Calling all snowheads coming to Les Arcs for Half Trem

Poster: A snowHead
Very Happy Whether you are old or young, if you fancy a challenge come and enter this race. They run it at the end of the day and close all the pistes so you can go as fast as you like and only have the other races to worry about as it is a mass start. If you want to know more post here or PM me. Would be good to get as many Brits in the event as possible. Two years ago when it was last in the school holidays we had about 16 taking part ranging in age from 8 to 50+ years of age, male and female. Plus quite a few spectators as it is also fun to watch. Very Happy

Race details.

The Robert Blanc Derby 18 February 2009 at Arc 2000
This Derby was created in 1975 by Robert Blanc, founder of the Les Arc ski station, together with Roger Godino. In order to promote contact between locals and tourists, he used off-piste routes to link one point of the station (Plan vert at 2400 m) to the villages in the valley (900 to 1000 m altitude), most often Hauteville-Gondon, the birthplace of Robert Blanc, and also Peisey, Landry and Villaroger. Today, this Derby bears his name in his honour, as sadly Robert was killed by an avalanche in 1980 during a mountain rescue. The itinerary today has changed somewhat. On the Arc 2000 sector, starting at the summit of the Grand Col (2835 m) and ending at Pré St Esprit (1822 m), the Robert Blanc Derby is a challenge which takes place when the pistes have closed, in a spirit of friendship, still bringing together locals and winter visitors. This race is a descent on snow with a drop of 1000 m, the aim being to go as quickly as possible, using a variety of equipment (ski, snowboard, monoski, telemark etc.). Open to everyone, individuals or families, and followed by a mountain-style buffet in a musical ambiance.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wish I go be there for this. I'd be waxing my GS skis all week in anticipation. Legalised speeding!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowcrazy, good luck to everyone - I miss it every year as I refuse to / don't need to be in the resort at 1/2 term, but am wistful about the event and wish I could have one without the other!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Very tempting as will be staying at rob@rar's, apartment. As it is run after lift close how can we get back to 1800 or would we have drive over?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not trying to be a spoil-sport but just be aware that if you do happen to injure yourself, DO NOT tell the insurance people you were in a race !!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Unless you're sensible and have yourself covered for racing. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You mean you think you're better than you really are wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
dsoutar, ah, that's where you're mistaken. If I thought I was better than I was I wouldn't buy the insurance - what would be the need... wink Laughing
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sorry like JimW I'm going home probably so wont be around..

What's the record time - can't be much more than a couple of minutes surely..
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
dsoutar, as this is arranged by the ski school and tourist office, your normal ski insurance will cover you or if you are worried just get Carre neige for the day. At about 3 Euro it will not break the bank.

bertie bassett, Not sure what is the record but it is at least 5 min. It is a long way. Last time i think the fastest under 15 girl (one of ours) was 9min. and under 11 boys (also one of ours) 8min.

Yes these kids can fly. Hope lots more of you will come and have a go. last year they had a little bag of goodies for everyone that took part and free food/drink at the finish.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Very Happy Come on people, there must be a few of you coming out that would like to give this a go. It's a fun family thing, not just a serious race for the downhill boys. How often do you get to ski the length of the resort without having to worry about to many others coming near you on the piste. Pm me if you want to meet up or post here. Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kevinrhead, I would guess you can get the bus back - the stop at Pre St Esprit will be close to the finish line, and its a good service. G'won , you know you want to.

8 mins, yup, that's good - I think we've done Col de la Chal to 1950 in about 6min when late for a ski-school pickup, but this is considerably further. Consider me suitably impressed!

otoh, have done Aguille Rouge to Meli's snack bar in 12min (with my neighbour rather than MrsW), which I consider to be a reasonable challenge for a 3 week a year skier...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowcrazy, I'll try to get over have 2 teenagers out who might be interested ........i'll let you know
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kevinrhead, They run extra buses for the race from all the stations so getting back to 1800 or anywhere else is not a problem.

So far we have about a dozen confirmed. Come on everyone you know you want to give it a try really. It is going to be fun. And you do get free supper if you go to the reception straight after the race.

redrunmarcus, I hope you can get over, easiest for you to drive to bourg and get funic up. They also run the funic till 9pm so no problem getting back down. There are quite a few English teenagers doing it just for fun both boys and girls so they will not be alone.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowcrazy, cool will bring gilet
snow report
For anyone planning to take part in the Robert Blanc Derby Race in les Arcs on Wed, I have just heard they have changed the course, when i know the details i will post them.

redrunmarcus, will send you a PM later. Great, thanks for bringing it over.
snow report
Test your French

DERBY ROBERT BLANC :
Grande fête de la glisse, ouverte à tous (adultes et enfants, 14 catégories)
Compétition pro ou amateurs.
Départ du bas de l’Aiguille Rouge
Arrivée à Arc 1950.
Apéritif et buffet et remise des prix à Arc 1950
Très beaux lots tirés au sort.
Inscriptions 10E dans les Offices de Tourisme avant 18h la veille (17/02), ou 15E sur place avant 16h30.
ski holidays
snowcrazy, well let's see by how much they all beat my 12 mins then - I'm guessing by quite a bit!!

Edit, ah it was French test... bottom of the AR - not the top. Presumably under the Varet for the competitive types then, Arondlieres for the 'family skiers.
latest report
Sorry for the delay in posting results been to busy. Twisted Evil

Was good to meet up with a few other snowheads and SCGB members, you would be amazed how many on here are members of both.

The results. Best Brit Results,

Professionnels Hommes Best Brit 5th

Amateurs Dames Best Brit 1st

Veterans Dames Best Brit 1st

Veterans Hommes Best Brit 2nd

Fastest time on course; 04.59.6 (The course started on the Aiguille Rouge on the glacier at the start of the piste Arandelieres for ALL racers and finished in 1950 square.)

Full results at

http://www.sports-lesarcs.com/hiver/pdf/derby_2009_categories.pdf

Due to the last minute change of course, the younger racers dropped out, pity but there is always next year.
latest report
snowcrazy, Seth Jackson 3rd in the under 15s as well... (his parents are owners in 1950)
latest report
JimW, Thanks missed him.
ski holidays
I managed a rather less impressive 7th place in the Veteran H cat. behind my daughters who were 13th and 20th in the amateur F cat. I must admit it was a interesting experience as the race started at about 6.45pm and the light was fading. I certainly did not have the bottle to straight line it through the red run mogul's like some of the early finishers. Times for some of the later finishers are probably some what extended as you had to queue for a while to go through the timing point but altogether great fun. Many thanks to snowcrazy for meeting us and introducing us to some of the other competitors, which made for a very enjoyable evening.
snow report
Hi Kevin - Well done to you, Millie and Georgie. Feel very proud to say I have skied with all you extreme racers!!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy